Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why do so many lower-income white americans support the Republican?

Why do so many lower-income white americans support the Republican?

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:39 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Why do so many lower-income white americans support the Republican?

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Personally I would rather admit to getting the horn whilst watching last of the summer wine
Or indeed knocking one out to Terry and June
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:42 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Or indeed knocking one out to Terry and June
I would almost rather admit to being English though I'll have to give that some more thought before I do anything too hasty.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:49 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

I would almost rather admit to being English though I'll have to give that some more thought before I do anything too hasty.
Thin Ice Davy boy, thin ice!!
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 2:51 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Basic reasons for this:

-"Family values"
-The Horatio Alger ethic -- work hard and anyone can be wealthy. Don't envy the rich, just get there yourself. (Americans are more hostile to the dole/welfare state ethos that is more commonplace in Europe.)
-Democrats associated with weakness, and the commies/ homos/ feminists/ etc. (For the family values crowd, the evil doers.)

When times are good, it's easy for the electorate to vote on values, rather than issues, or to not vote at all. During good times, the masses are content, so there are effectively no issues, per se (the two-party system tends to dilute any meaningful policy differences between the major parties), and the ideologues on the right will drive the result.

Now that times aren't quite so good (read: Iraq verging on Vietnam), the pendulum may be swinging back, as values voting gives way to "voting the bums out". Issues trump values when the voters sense that things are going wrong and change is required, and the war may be just the thing to turn the tide.

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Nov 3rd 2006 at 2:53 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 3:44 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

So many good posts on this thread I started laying out karma - but I think some of it was blank -apologies to those offended - I'll get the hang of it one day.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

because they would rather get shafted with a stick instead of a cigar
They all (polititions) talk garbage,my vote goes to ANYONE on the ballot that has never been a lawyer.The worst part about getting shafted by a lawyer is that they don't even give you a kiss.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Did you expect the Guardian to say something good about them ??
Hey Im in Canada, of course Im a bleeding heart liberal
For the record its not the only paper I read, but The Guardian Footy pages are excelent, better I think than the Telegraphs (which I am more embarrased to admit reading).

Regardless, my point was more concerned with the facts than the source of the facts. No one seems to have denied them yet?

Last edited by iaink; Nov 3rd 2006 at 12:37 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 5:42 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb182
because they would rather get shafted with a stick instead of a cigar
They all (polititions) talk garbage,my vote goes to ANYONE on the ballot that has never been a lawyer.The worst part about getting shafted by a lawyer is that they don't even give you a kiss.

I shaft a lawyer on a regular basis..... Sometimes I even get a kiss for it
Old Nov 4th 2006, 6:08 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Republicans = conservative Christians

Democrats= liberal Christians which can include gay & lesbian Christians + liberals in general + Democrats reach out to Black Americans, Jewish Americans and other minorities.

Lower income white Americans would consider themselves WASPs so fear anything that's not like them.

It seems to me that the group in the title of this thread don't vote according to what the Republicans do represent but more against what the opposition (the Democrats) do represent...

NC Penguin
Old Nov 6th 2006, 5:53 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Basic reasons for this:

-"Family values"
-The Horatio Alger ethic -- work hard and anyone can be wealthy. Don't envy the rich, just get there yourself. (Americans are more hostile to the dole/welfare state ethos that is more commonplace in Europe.)
-Democrats associated with weakness, and the commies/ homos/ feminists/ etc. (For the family values crowd, the evil doers.)

When times are good, it's easy for the electorate to vote on values, rather than issues, or to not vote at all. During good times, the masses are content, so there are effectively no issues, per se (the two-party system tends to dilute any meaningful policy differences between the major parties), and the ideologues on the right will drive the result.

Now that times aren't quite so good (read: Iraq verging on Vietnam), the pendulum may be swinging back, as values voting gives way to "voting the bums out". Issues trump values when the voters sense that things are going wrong and change is required, and the war may be just the thing to turn the tide.
Well said. I might also add that the Democrats are typically viewed as being:
1) Soft on defense; since the end of Vietnam and the McGovern remake of the party, they have never fielded a candidate who takes a strong view on security. Carter was a disgrace, Mondale and Dukakis (remember the comical video of Dukakis driving the tank?? LOL!), Clinton did them no favors either...getting a bunch of our boys killed in Somalia helping out the UN search for Adid and bombing aspirin factories the day he was indited, Gore promised more of the same, and Kerry...puulllleeeeeeeeeeasssse. "The wus factor" I believe is how it is referred to in politics

2) In bed with every fringe group- be it the tree huggers, the gay movement, animal rights activists, the "Rainbow Coalition"...

3) Responsible for the welfare state in which generations of poor are condemned to continue in poverty...while providing very little in return to society.

4) Having forgotten about rural voters and being arrogant east/left coast liberals who view the entire middle of the land with disdain. In the past two election cycles, Al Gore and John Kerry lost the entire South and most of the Midwest and West.

5) Being anti-God/Anti religion. Like it or not, this country was founded and populated by people seeking religious freedom from oppressive governments- and America today still has a high percentage of very religious people.

6) Anti gun.

I honestly believe that if the Dems would field a candidate who is more moderate (as Bill Clinton falsely presented himself to be in '92) They would win easily. Unfortunately, until this election season when they seem to be putting a few more God fearin', gun-totin', pro-military (such as Heath Schuler in N.C., Joe Lieberman or Sam Nunn, former GA Senator). Unfortunately, the elite leftys such as Howard Dean, Nancy Pelosi, Boxer, Kerry and H. Clinton all seem to doom such members to second class status...all the while fielding such goofs as Kerry, McGovern and Dukakis.

FYI- CNN had an excellent piece titled "Where the right went wrong" and another piece on what's wrong with the Democratic party (not sure about the title..may be "Dems trip over two left feet" (?). IMO it was spot on in it's analysis of both parties, which is quite uncommon IMO.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 5:56 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
1) Soft on defense; since the end of Vietnam and the McGovern remake of the party, they have never fielded a candidate who takes a strong view on security. Carter was a disgrace, Mondale and Dukakis (remember the comical video of Dukakis driving the tank?? LOL!), Clinton did them no favors either...getting a bunch of our boys killed in Somalia helping out the UN search for Adid and bombing aspirin factories the day he was indited, Gore promised more of the same, and Kerry...puulllleeeeeeeeeeasssse. "The wus factor" I believe is how it is referred to in politics

2) In bed with every fringe group- be it the tree huggers, the gay movement, animal rights activists, the "Rainbow Coalition"...

3) Responsible for the welfare state in which generations of poor are condemned to continue in poverty...while providing very little in return to society.

4) Having forgotten about rural voters and being arrogant east/left coast liberals who view the entire middle of the land with disdain. In the past two election cycles, Al Gore and John Kerry lost the entire South and most of the Midwest and West.

5) Being anti-God/Anti religion. Like it or not, this country was founded and populated by people seeking religious freedom from oppressive governments- and America today still has a high percentage of very religious people.

6) Anti gun.

I honestly believe that if the Dems would field a candidate who is more moderate (as Bill Clinton falsely presented himself to be in '92) They would win easily. Unfortunately, until this election season when they seem to be putting a few more God fearin', gun-totin', pro-military (such as Heath Schuler in N.C., Joe Lieberman or Sam Nunn, former GA Senator). Unfortunately, the elite leftys such as Howard Dean, Nancy Pelosi, Boxer, Kerry and H. Clinton all seem to doom such members to second class status...all the while fielding such goofs as Kerry, McGovern and Dukakis.

FYI- CNN had an excellent piece titled "Where the right went wrong" and another piece on what's wrong with the Democratic party (not sure about the title..may be "Dems trip over two left feet" (?). IMO it was spot on in it's analysis of both parties, which is quite uncommon IMO.
nice to see you posting again - hope things are moving in the right direction for you
Old Nov 6th 2006, 6:41 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

.........every fringe group- be it the tree huggers, the gay movement, animal rights activists, the "Rainbow Coalition"........
For me, one of the saddest aspects of living in the US is seeing those who care for the environment and human rights labelled as 'fringe groups'.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

6) Anti gun.

Most of this can be said of the Republicans currently - but in reverse (apart from the fringe groups, who everybody's in bed with)

I agree, moderation is what is needed, but are we likely to get it? I guess we'll see...
Old Nov 6th 2006, 7:06 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
For me, one of the saddest aspects of living in the US is seeing those who care for the environment and human rights labelled as 'fringe groups'.

We have one poor Dem standing against a Repug at the moment who is a "member of an extremist group that frees child sex offenders". IOW, she a lawyer for the ACLU!
Old Nov 6th 2006, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

It seems the Republicans are doing a phone smearing campaign:

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/...l/15898729.htm
http://www.boston.com/news/local/con...the_campaigns/
http://www3.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO33180/
http://www.wurfwhile.com/archives/001152.html
http://www.melissabean.com/index.php...5D%20roboCalls

Apparently it's illegal, but I'm sure nothing will come of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.