Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why do so many lower-income white americans support the Republican?

Why do so many lower-income white americans support the Republican?

Old Nov 2nd 2006, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do so many lower-income white americans support the Republican?

You have to be Gay to be an Evengelical Pastor.

Well at least in Colorado, they prefer it paid for by their congregations contributions and up the bottom.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Back to OP:

this might be interesting if you want to look at key voting groups (race, income, belief set) and how they voted to better understand the lower income white conservatives.

http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?PageID=949

I think if the right Dem candidate comes forward in the next 12 months, and talks the right talk then he or she will get people rallied and get elected. We're due for another big change (Reagan in 80, Clinton 92, TBC is 08). I think the problem with Kerry is that he never quite got a clear message across, as he flip-flopped (or was portrayed as such) and came across as a closet republican. He couldn't quite speak to the working class, with the silver spoon dangling from his mouth. The Clintons had their big chance and it worked for awhile--a lot of conservative states and voters went his way. However, he ran on Health Care and change and then scrapped health care, capped welfare, reduced the military budget to help balance the budget. A balanced budget is a good thing, but in the eyes of many he cut from the wrong areas, and then there was the scandal, and such.

It's all such a mess.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
maybe because the family has always supported the Republicans and the children are brought up to support them too.
I'd say this is a big part of the problem, along with the God thing.....
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66

HOW WILL WE PROTECT OURSELVES WITHOUT OUR OOZIES AND SUB-MACHINE GUNS?? :scared:
Spitballs?
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I
HOW WILL WE PROTECT OURSELVES WITHOUT OUR OOZIES AND SUB-MACHINE GUNS?? :scared:
If you were a Lara fan you would know it's Uzis lol
Attached Thumbnails Why do so many lower-income white americans support the Republican?-uzis.jpg  
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Maz
The precinct is now called "High Chelmer", has a lovely cafe in the middle called "Butterflies", even. The old market under the multi-storey is still there... unfortunately. Scrutty little area, that is. "The Meadows" is the new shopping centre near the river. It's not very big, but there's a ton of parking in and now behind the Odeon. Yes, the Odeon is now a multi-storey parking garage. LOL They've developed about as far as they can down to the meads, though... if they go much further, buildings will start to sink. LOL Chelmer Village is clearly visible from the back of Meadgate Estate. The tidal flyover is still there... and starting to show signs of age. Quite scary, esp when one's 70-year old father drives at 40 mph over it. :scared:
I actually feel quite homesick...
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 11:50 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

What I wanna know is this:

* if you are open-minded, and study of an issue and/or experiences as you grow older change your view point on something, this is usually considered a good thing, yes? but instead it's called flip-flopping.

Are all politicians who believe they have made the wrong decision supposed to stick stubbornly with it for fear of being labelled a "flip-flopper"? If so it would explain the disconnect that Bush and Co seem to have with reality and the Iraq war.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
What I wanna know is this:

* if you are open-minded, and study of an issue and/or experiences as you grow older change your view point on something, this is usually considered a good thing, yes? but instead it's called flip-flopping.

Are all politicians who believe they have made the wrong decision supposed to stick stubbornly with it for fear of being labelled a "flip-flopper"? If so it would explain the disconnect that Bush and Co seem to have with reality and the Iraq war.
Couldn't agree more - they see the iceberg and call down "full speed ahead" :scared:
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

I think growing and changing is one thing, as is the war and feeling differently about it now as opposed to years ago (based on changes in evidence).

What I think does cause issue is short-term flip-flopping, as in within one campaign season: for example, John Kerry was against the war, for the war, for immediate pull-out, for adding 20K troops...his message was all over the place. Part of this is media spin obviously, and part of it is candidates needing to modify their own personal view/thoughts to appease certain interest groups or voters. I'm not saying that he flipped, but the message or lack thereof was all over the place...and somewhere there was his real opinion of the matter. Maybe he was afraid to say what he felt, and maybe Bush is, too, for fear of being labelled a flip-flopper.

Hilary changed/modified/revised her voting preference on gay marriage yesterday and got some press jumping on her for that. Not sure why now...perhaps enlightment or growth, or perhaps for voter support? Or, maybe she took the other approach years ago because she felt she had to do so.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:13 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Same as home and conservatives, they always promise lower taxes - more money in their pocket (if they follow through)
Which they did a f**king site more than labour ever did.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:14 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
the same could be said of the democrats though.

If they are the political party for poor people, why were there still poor people after 8 years of Clinton.........

I know it's very simplistic.
Stop it - you aren't allowed to talk sense in these threads. Just grab a pail of rotten vegetables and start throwing it at the nasty reps.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:17 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Manc

but lets worry about a few shirt lifters who want spousal benefits instead......
I mean jesus christ..........
Jesus Christ wasn't a shirt lifter you blaspheming bastard!!!

It was a shroud!!
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:24 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
As a Canadian citizen, I'm more of an impartial observer in all this, and this extremely negative campaining of the republicans was actually something I read about in the Guardian initially.

Did you expect the Guardian to say something good about them ??
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BigDavyG

Did you expect the Guardian to say something good about them ??
I'd rather admit to being a Republican (which I am not) than actually admitting I read the Guardian.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:33 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Rushman
I'd rather admit to being a Republican (which I am not) than actually admitting I read the Guardian.
Personally I would rather admit to getting the horn whilst watching last of the summer wine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.