Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why do so many lower-income white americans support the Republican?

Why do so many lower-income white americans support the Republican?

Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:42 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do so many lower-income white americans support the Republican?

Originally Posted by Manc
Why is Gay marriage such a f--king issue? it was flogged to death 2 years ago when Rove got it on the ballot to bring out the Red state base.

people are dying in Iraq.

dying.......

lots of them

100 US soldiers last month alone.
778 wounded in October.........

but lets worry about a few shirt lifters who want spousal benefits instead......
I mean jesus christ..........
I can't believe that anybody even cares about this subject any more. Who in their right mind would want to stop a gay couple from getting married? On what grounds? Fear? Yes I think so.

Anyway, the reason the members of the lowest (white) socio-econmic segment of our society vote Republican is FEAR!! The easiest people to scare are the religious and the uneducated. Meet the Republican voters.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

BmblBee has much to be proud ofBmblBee has much to be proud ofBmblBee has much to be proud ofBmblBee has much to be proud ofBmblBee has much to be proud ofBmblBee has much to be proud ofBmblBee has much to be proud ofBmblBee has much to be proud ofBmblBee has much to be proud ofBmblBee has much to be proud ofBmblBee has much to be proud of

At the time of the last presidential election I was employed by a government agency. The staff was a mix of degreed professionals, non-degreed professionals (trades) and some general labor. Almost all (easily 95%) were very vocal in their support of the President and the Republican Party. Here are the three most frequently stated reasons.

1. If you don’t support the President you are not a good Christian, because good Christians know homosexuality is a sin (gay marriage).
2. If you don’t support the President you are not a patriot. The President is defending the US by getting rid of the weapons of mass destruction and terrorists in Iraq (all but a very small minority were convinced there were/are weapons of mass destruction and numerous Al Qaeda cells hiding in Iraq – even after the results stating completely otherwise were released through the federal government’s investigation).
3. If you don’t support the President you don’t support the troops.

The salaries ran between roughly $16,000 and $80,000 with most between $30,000 and $45,000 + excellent benefits.

Scary isn’t it.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
is she?

Hi E.
She said Hi back ........
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
She said Hi back ........
You're making this up aren't you...
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

This is where bickering politicians get us: http://www.forbes.com/entrepreneurs/...ap3141615.html

Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You're making this up aren't you...
Nope ....I have communication to all sort of people ... the Pope is standing by ..she said find where she called a pinko commie.....
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
Nope ....I have communication to all sort of people ... the Pope is standing by ..she said find where she called a pinko commie.....
I never said it was her... you suggested it was her...

She always called me big boy....
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:43 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Got my Dads Capri stuck in there.

Happy Days

No doubt changed enormously, this was when Chelmsford was a county town.
Que?... It still is. Anyway, I'm sure your Dad was ecstatic. LOL
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

lauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Republicans support the 2nd amendment
I like your support for our U.S. Constitution, Ray. I agree with your support for the 2nd Amendment.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

lauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ghost2006
I have a friend who is a research psychologist and this is his explanation:

The reasons are simple.

Most humans don't vote based on real issues. This is the problem with democracy. People mainly vote based on moral grounds. If you think of why you like or dislike someone it’s usually for simple reasons. For example, I don't like him because he his "rude" or "racist" or "gay" etc... We would like to believe that we use more complicated reasoning when we vote, but in fact research doesn't support this.

The other reason is the need to belong to some group, in particular the power group. White people are the power group in American society. They have the higher social status and material possessions. However, poor white folks can’t show they belong to this group through the same methods. The only commonality that poor white people have with the rich is skin color and a historically common moral and ethnic background. Hence, this is what poor white people hold onto. It gives them the feeling that they still belong to the powerful group in the society.
Very insightful comment. Many people are Republicans because it gives them the illusion that they are, or soon could be, successful.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 9:28 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauriejane
I like your support for our U.S. Constitution, Ray. I agree with your support for the 2nd Amendment.
I support our constitution - IN IT'S ENTIRETY.

Unlike the Bush administration that conveniently forgot the annoying parts about freedom of speech, freedom to assemble and the right to know what the **** you're being charged with upon being arrested.

This is a common Republican propaganda trick. Scare everybody into thinking the Dem's want to take away our guns. FFS, the Democrats aren't anti-gun ownership. Some Democrats would like to see more regulation when it comes to assault rifles - but that isn't even agreed upon as a straight party line.

THE SKY IS FALLING!! The very second a Democrat gets voted into office they will take away all of our guns, release all of the rapists from prisons... give free passports and visas to all of the terrorists - and offer all of our babies up to the gang-bangers and homos for ravishing.

HOW WILL WE PROTECT OURSELVES WITHOUT OUR OOZIES AND SUB-MACHINE GUNS?? :scared:
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 9:34 pm
Ray

Is that the one where you have to bare your arms ... I'm lucky I always wear short sleeved shirts ..so my arms are always bare
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Here are some reasons that people are Republicans:

They feel that the traditional American way of life is crumbling (which it is) and they think the Republicans want to bring it all back again (which they don't).

They associate higher taxes with the Democrats--sometimes that's true, too. Then again, the Republicans spend as much as the Democrats do, they just spend it on corporate welfare instead of plain old welfare.

They believe they will have more personal freedom and less regulation from the Republicans. Democrats and Republicans are both working as hard as they can to eliminate personal freedom but the Democrats are seen as more supportive of the "nanny state" philosophy.

In recent times, it has been seen as unpatriotic to be unsupportive of the present administration, a Republican one. Arguing with government policies used to be thought of as quintessentially American when I was a kid, a citizen's right and possibly even a duty. I guess that shows my age.

September 11th scared a lot of Americans. Scared people do not make good political decisions, whether to the right or the left. A lot of people feel they will be safer because of Homeland Security, Iraq, checks in airports and the Patriot Acts I & II. I still remember the night of Sept.11th, 2001 when I discovered my neighbor in back of our apartment building nervously looking around with a flashlight, concerned about the situation. "You're not looking for terrorists, are you?" I asked her in amazement. "Well, " she answered, "You just never know so I thought I'd check." Right then and there I knew I, and a lot of other Americans, were in for a very bad decade or two.

What more can I say? I am a registered Libertarian. It's the best I can do right now.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

..........I still remember the night of Sept.11th, 2001 when I discovered my neighbor in back of our apartment building nervously looking around with a flashlight, concerned about the situation. "You're not looking for terrorists, are you?" I asked her in amazement. "Well, " she answered, "You just never know so I thought I'd check." Right then and there I knew I, and a lot of other Americans, were in for a very bad decade or two.
Reds under the beds, reds under the beds !!!!
We'll be teaching kids to duck and cover again in schools soon, thats after they've checked them for guns, hand grenades, condoms, Bibles, etc, etc.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gardnma
Reds under the beds, reds under the beds !!!!
We'll be teaching kids to duck and cover again in schools soon, thats after they've checked them for guns, hand grenades, condoms, Bibles, etc, etc.
I can't help but compare the present panicked situation to the cool way the British people dealt with the Battle of Britain in WWII. That is one of the reasons I so admire the British. Actual, not imaginary, bombs were falling everywhere and people went on with their lives, even to the point of continuing cultural events, concerts, art exhibits, the usual afternoon tea etc...it is hard to imagine Americans doing any of that! Americans are certainly brave enough, but they just aren't brave and COOL like the people of the UK. And it would never occur to them to try to save culture as well as people and buildings. If the Battle of Britain had occurred in America, all of my countrymen (and women) would have been out there with their rifles and other weapons trying to shoot down the Nazi planes! Forget art galleries and concerts. As for the present situation, there isn't even anything to shoot at and that really is frustrating for many--who even knows what to do? When the government presents solutions, like Patriot Act I & II, everyone figures they'd better go along with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.