Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why do so many European born USC vote for the Democrats?

Why do so many European born USC vote for the Democrats?

Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do so many European born USC vote for the Democrats?

Originally Posted by surly
Would that be 'Nu Labour' or 'Old Labour'?
Let's go with "Old Labour". Could be wrong, but I'd think that "Nu Labour" to be slightly more centre.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
That's a good summation. But I'd say that for the most part, the Republicans are a fair bit to the right of the Tories.

I can't imagine anyone in the Conservative party actively campaigning to do away with the NHS, eliminate gun control, or avoid the Kyoto Treaty, nor would they attempt to introduce religion into the political process, for example.
The Conservative Party is better know for sex scandals and crazies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Johnson
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I'd argue it was somewhere around here:

The British Political Sphere:

[Left---------------------------------|------------------------------Right]
[------------------------------------Con==========Lab-----------------]
Are you sure about that? I admit that the political sphere has shrunk in the UK over recent years and that Labour has moved more 'right' that it once was but to suggest that the labour party is more right wing of the Conservative party is a bit strange.

You must admit that Communism is left wing and Fascism is right wing?

I seem to recall a Benito Mussolini quote which went something like the following:

"Communism is where the state runs the businesses while Fascism is where the businesses run the state"

Surely you must admit that the privatisation during the Conservative Thatcher/Major years is more akin to the latter that the former?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:15 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
That being the case, it would explain even more why Europeans would be less likely to vote Republican. If the extreme right in Britain is almost regarded as being "left wing" by US standard, most (if not all) europeans would/should be Democrat voters.
Agree wholeheartedly.

As you implied previously, it strikes me that most of you immigrated here for love and/or money. Yet it is quite possible to be money-motivated and left-of-center simultaneously, the two positions are not mutually exclusive. (I should know, as this describes me pretty well.)

Assuming that the OP is not trolling, I believe that he may be a victim of his own stereotyping of those whom he opposes. He assumes that anyone who wants to have cash in the bank and a decent car in the garage must be, by definition, a conservative, and that anyone who isn't a conservative must be a granola-snorting panhandling communist.

That's simplistic, of course. In practice, most people are not so ideologically skewed and do seek some sort of balance between freedom from government and a government that provides some benefits beyond a standing army. It is possible to both aspire to wealth yet be willing to share it with others.

The fact that registered Dems outnumber Republicans, with many more choosing to affiliate otherwise, is a good indication that the situation is not as stratified as it appears to the hardcore ideologues amongst us. American conservatives desperately want to believe that they comprise the majority, but a review of the facts makes it clear that they don't.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure about that? I admit that the political sphere has shrunk in the UK over recent years and that Labour has moved more 'right' that it once was but to suggest that the labour party is more right wing of the Conservative party is a bit strange.

You must admit that Communism is left wing and Fascism is right wing?

I seem to recall a Benito Mussolini quote which went something like the following:

"Communism is where the state runs the businesses while Fascism is where the businesses run the state"

Surely you must admit that the privatisation during the Conservative Thatcher/Major years is more akin to the latter that the former?
Browse through Channel 4 News forum to get a feel of political opinion in the UK.

http://community.channel4.com/eve/fo...rm/f/503603557

For example: On Gordon Brown

"The problems facing NuLab and by extension the country can in large part be blamed on the character of Cyclops-his actions would lead one to believe he is a sociopath with autistic spectrum issues, personally very intelligent but therefore unable to deal with opposing viewpoints or allow others to have any power; in addition, he is unable to make decisions, the net result being a party at war with itself in no small part because it can see electoral disaster looming under his 'leadership': during the Bliar era this could be hidden because it was the PM 'on point' and we know what a blithe manipulator he was, but now the defects which flaw the personality of Brown are in the open. In short, Brown is not emotionally suited to be PM and his party knows it. Have you ever seen him really smile? Doesn't it hurt when you see the results of the lessons he has been taught fail so badly?"
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Browse through Channel 4 News forum to get a feel of political opinion in the UK.

"The problems facing NuLab and by extension the country can in large part be blamed on the character of Cyclops-his actions would lead one to believe he is a sociopath with autistic spectrum issues, personally very intelligent but therefore unable to deal with opposing viewpoints or allow others to have any power; in addition, he is unable to make decisions, the net result being a party at war with itself in no small part because it can see electoral disaster looming under his 'leadership': during the Bliar era this could be hidden because it was the PM 'on point' and we know what a blithe manipulator he was, but now the defects which flaw the personality of Brown are in the open. In short, Brown is not emotionally suited to be PM and his party knows it. Have you ever seen him really smile? Doesn't it hurt when you see the results of the lessons he has been taught fail so badly?"
BRB... CitySimon is reading.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:42 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Would that be 'Nu Labour' or 'Old Labour'?
the term "Nu Labour" seems to me to be the term/spelling of choice used by the foaming loons who inhabit the "comments" section at the end of Daily Mail articles. It's rarely used by someone who actually has a firm grasp of current events or a sensible point to make. I've also noticed that some of the real hardcore nutjobs have started referring to "ZaNu Labour".

Last edited by elfman; Apr 21st 2008 at 10:45 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:46 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

can Mr TexanCapitalist tell me how much money these fiscal conservatives have pissed into the wind in the past 8 years?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Interesting. I must be honest and say that since Gordon Brown has come to power in the UK, the apparent relevance which the nation had within the US during the Blair years has gone.

However, having said that, despite changes to the political or rhetrorical prowess of a leader of a particular party (following the PM stepping down), I would expect that the people who elected that party to power would still share the original ideals under which that party was elected.

The fact that the Labour party appears to be under such pressure from within the electorate, would suggest that even if Labour has changed, the voters have not changed with them!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:57 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I must be honest and say that since Gordon Brown has come to power in the UK, the apparent relevance which the nation had within the US during the Blair years has gone.
According to my trusty copy of the American Guide to World History and Politics, Britain has had three prime ministers: Winston Churchill, Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair. When they haven't been around, there has presumably been some queen, king or other fuddy duddy running the joint.

I didn't know that Tony had left, but if he isn't there anymore, then that woman who looks like Helen Mirren must be in charge. (I saw the movie, so I know this to be a fact.) Tony can come here and become a congressman, he's nice and he sounds like the Beatles, so we like him.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:59 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Tony can come here and become a congressman, he's nice and he sounds like the Beatles, so we like him.
All the pauses in his speeches will be brilliant for filibustering.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

According to my trusty copy of the American Guide to World History and Politics, Britain has had three prime ministers: Winston Churchill, Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair. When they haven't been around, there has presumably been some queen, king or other fuddy duddy running the joint.
Well, how many Presidents can you name? Rule: No Google or Wiki!
I didn't know that Tony had left, but if he isn't there anymore, then that woman who looks like Helen Mirren must be in charge. (I saw the movie, so I know this to be a fact.) Tony can come here and become a congressman, he's nice and he sounds like the Beatles, so we like him.
I figure he's liked over here because he's a head of state who has the ability to converse in English at a level higher than sixth grade. Plus he had the US style political public relations treatment when he so quickly and wholeheartedly (without the backing of large numbers of the UK population) supported the War On Terror.

Last edited by CitySimon; Apr 21st 2008 at 11:06 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:06 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Well, how many Presidents can you name? Rule: No Google or Wiki!

I figure he's liked over here because he's a head of state who has the ability to converse in English at a level higher than sixth grade. Plus he had the US style political public relations treatment when he so quickly and wholeheartedly (without the backing of large numbers of the UK population) supported the War On Terror.
I think he was being facetious in his first statement. Quite funny really.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ugacrew
I think he was being facetious in his first statement. Quite funny really.
Or was I?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:09 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Or was I?
Who knows. I thought there were only two personally. Winston Churchill is a myth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.