British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Why did you decide to live in America? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/why-did-you-decide-live-america-434883/)

Irn-bru Mar 15th 2007 10:23 pm

Re: Why did you decide to live in America?

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 4522725)
LOL well true enough. I do actually have some brick though

me too :)

though its only about 2 foot high and just around the porch pillars :lol:

though I was told by a septic I shouldn't want brick especially in earthquake areas as they are too rigid and don't give as well as wood :unsure:

Tegwyn Mar 16th 2007 12:04 am

Best one I've seen yet is doggy put onto the treadmill for his daily walk whilst the family sits in front of the box stuffing their faces.:eek:

As for houses, used to tell my friends about my quality cardboard house. Even noticed that the insulation was...... fire retardent, shredded wee pieces of newspaper!!:blink:

Ah, I like America. Where else can you be a complete loon and everyone thinks that is perfectly normal.:thumbup:

TouristTrap Mar 16th 2007 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Tegwyn (Post 4523617)
Best one I've seen yet is doggy put onto the treadmill for his daily walk whilst the family sits in front of the box stuffing their faces.:eek:

As for houses, used to tell my friends about my quality cardboard house. Even noticed that the insulation was...... fire retardent, shredded wee pieces of newspaper!!:blink:

Ah, I like America. Where else can you be a complete loon and everyone thinks that is perfectly normal.:thumbup:

:thumbup: :rofl:

Roland Hulme Mar 16th 2007 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Irn-bru (Post 4522683)
So is this a must be positive thread? then it would be slightly different :)

That's exactly it!

Maybe I'm still enamoured with America, but I thought it would be nice to list all the things we love about the place, instead of the things we miss or dislike.

Roland Hulme Mar 16th 2007 8:16 am

Originally Posted by farmerwife (Post 4522777)
There's a couple items that don't belong in the same sentence...:eek:

Yum. Had a bottle of California Zin last night with our dinner. But our dinner was roast lamb topped with chedder and mustard crust. Not typically American! Bloody lovely, though.

And asparagus too. I love asparagus.:thumbup:

gruffbrown Mar 16th 2007 8:44 am

This thread could keep me going with one liners for months. :)

Tracym Mar 16th 2007 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme (Post 4524464)
Yum. Had a bottle of California Zin last night with our dinner. But our dinner was roast lamb topped with chedder and mustard crust. Not typically American! Bloody lovely, though.

And asparagus too. I love asparagus.:thumbup:

mmmm we'd get along eating together - I love lamb, make it all the time. And I live (in the summers) in the asparagus growing region - YUM!

jumping doris Mar 16th 2007 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme (Post 4524460)
That's exactly it!

Maybe I'm still enamoured with America, but I thought it would be nice to list all the things we love about the place, instead of the things we miss or dislike.

OK, I'll play.
We moved here for work although our visa won't let me work. (oops, score that out...it's a negative).
Great country, so much to see. I hear it's magnificent but no vacation time to see it (oops, another negative).
America is OK if you have tons of moneyand live in a nice part of it. Otherwise it's the same as anywhere else but with more shops.:)

Bob Mar 16th 2007 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 4525174)
... Otherwise it's the same as anywhere else but with more shops.:)

not shops...strip malls :D

though out in maine where we use to live, though the towns were small, belfast, camden, rockland, ellsworth, bar harbor, they all had proper shops and town centre feel

danfan Mar 16th 2007 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Irn-bru (Post 4523204)
me too :)

though its only about 2 foot high and just around the porch pillars :lol:

though I was told by a septic I shouldn't want brick especially in earthquake areas as they are too rigid and don't give as well as wood :unsure:

An earthquake zone is the only place I wouldn't want brick. Other than that.... errr can't think of anywhere else. We went through a hurricane in VA in 2003, only a cat 2 & the damage to the stick houses was unbelievable. We were in a brick appartment at the time, thank god. Why build out of cardboard in hurricane zones? And all the above ground wiring? Our appartment was standing but our power was out for 12 days.

Ok good stuff -
I like the meatloaf, perogies & biscuits and gravy.
It's not as hard to find a parking space because car parks are so huge & you don't have to park 3 miles from the post office & walk with a load of boxes.
Ciggies and gas are really cheap, although the cars guzzle about 5 times more so that cancels out.
People are generally nicer (in PA anyway, not in southern VA) although a little weird.

Miss my 6 weeks paid vacation & sick leave though.
oh & what's with restaurants making you use the same cutlery for your main course as your starter? I always ask for a fresh set & they look at me like I'm OCD or something.
And can't get used to public loos with the big gap in the door so everyone can see you take your pants down. LOL - although generally they are not as rank as public loos in England!

Tracym Mar 16th 2007 1:48 pm

LOL my fiance has the cutlery issue. He never rescues his from the plate, and then the waitress runs off with it and he has none.

Leeds_Lass Mar 16th 2007 2:20 pm

I moved here for my husband, easier for me to relocate with my job than him. It's not been easy though, the marriage and the move and I'm considering moving back to the UK.

Paul S Mar 16th 2007 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4525291)
strip malls :D

where the girls go wild;)

Roland Hulme Mar 16th 2007 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 4525309)
oh & what's with restaurants making you use the same cutlery for your main course as your starter? I always ask for a fresh set & they look at me like I'm OCD or something.

Actually I lived in Paris for 4 years and they do the same there - even in REALLY posh restaurants.:confused: :confused:

jumping doris Mar 16th 2007 2:49 pm

I like having four seasons.
I love road trips, high school football, hazelnut coffee, buffalo chicken with blue cheese, deer in my garden, chipmunks and a generally more "can do" attitude.