British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Why did I come here? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/why-did-i-come-here-498321/)

mayhemuk Dec 6th 2007 3:41 pm

Why did I come here?

Last night was one of those moments when you stop and think was this a good idea?
I am superdelighted to be reunited with the wife and all is good but last night we went to earthquake 'preparedness' training. "Get ready Marin!"
Was slightly surreal to sit and listen to but then you do have to say it is a very real threat.
I am not shopping for plane fares so I am going to stay. I am actually going to be shopping for all the things on the list for my 'Go pack and Go List' etc etc

Has anyone else had a moment when the reality of where they have moved to (that you always knew existed eg. hurricanes in Florida) was brought into sharp focus for you?

Roll on SSN and Greencard delivery!

Mayhem.

anotherlimey Dec 6th 2007 3:44 pm

Re: Why did I come here?

Originally Posted by mayhemuk (Post 5640182)
Last night was one of those moments when you stop and think was this a good idea?
I am superdelighted to be reunited with the wife and all is good but last night we went to earthquake 'preparedness' training. "Get ready Marin!"
Was slightly surreal to sit and listen to but then you do have to say it is a very real threat.
I am not shopping for plane fares so I am going to stay. I am actually going to be shopping for all the things on the list for my 'Go pack and Go List' etc etc

Has anyone else had a moment when the reality of where they have moved to (that you always knew existed eg. hurricanes in Florida) was brought into sharp focus for you?

Mayhem.

Hurricane Katrina!

Mallory Dec 6th 2007 5:33 pm

Lots of scary things could happen to you in this country:

Forest fire
Earthquake
Hurricane
Tornado
Blizzard
Landslide
Floods
Lost in desert with no water
Poisonous snake bite
Eaten by alligator
Swallowed by a shark
Chased by bear or mountain lion

The sharks worry me the most!

Mandana Dec 6th 2007 5:51 pm

Does anyone have the Talking Heads song 'How did I get here' as an ear-worm now?! :lol:

Deedee13 Dec 6th 2007 5:52 pm

u went where??

why?

I thought u had just got here, what happened to the walks in the park hand in hand, dinners, sex, watching a movie together? Why in gods name would anyone go to a hurricane prepardness training? I am slightly bewilldered.

Putting it all into perspective though, u could go back to the uk and oh i forgot there are no hurricanes in the uk are there, tornados, or any of that stuff..

Bob Dec 6th 2007 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 5640478)

Forest fire
Earthquake
Hurricane
Tornado
Blizzard
Landslide
Floods
Poisonous snake bite
Eaten by alligator
Swallowed by a shark

To top that list, not having medical insurance?

another bloody yank Dec 6th 2007 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5640564)

And the possibility of receiving a bad haircut!!!!:eek::eek::eek::curse::curse::mad:

Lord Knows Dec 6th 2007 6:28 pm

Forest fire
Earthquake
Hurricane
Tornado
Blizzard
Landslide
Floods
Poisonous snake bite
Eaten by alligator
Swallowed by a shark

I know that feeling....
Like I was on an escalator one time man, and like it just like stopped man, and like it was three hours before they fixed it man. I was like late to work and my boss was like really bummed out man.:D

dunroving Dec 6th 2007 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Lord Knows (Post 5640587)
I know that feeling....
Like I was on an escalator one time man, and like it just like stopped man, and like it was three hours before they fixed it man. I was like late to work and my boss was like really bummed out man.:D

You're obviously under 50, because otherwise after being stuck in an elevator, being late for work would have been overshadowed by the fact that you had peed yourself. :rofl:

Sarah Dec 6th 2007 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 5640573)
And the possibility of receiving a bad haircut!!!!:eek::eek::eek::curse::curse::mad:

That's more certain than death and taxes.

dbj1000 Dec 6th 2007 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Mandana (Post 5640502)
Does anyone have the Talking Heads song 'How did I get here' as an ear-worm now?! :lol:

The song is called Once in a Lifetime, and it is the best description of what it's like to suddenly "wake up" in a foreign country!

I love it!

Jerseygirl Dec 6th 2007 11:44 pm

Forest fire
Earthquake
Hurricane
Tornado
Blizzard
Landslide
Floods
Poisonous snake bite
Eaten by alligator
Swallowed by a shark

You forgot one...NJ drivers. :lol:

Philgr Dec 6th 2007 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by mayhemuk (Post 5640182)

Mayhem.

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5640564)

Or getting sued and having to declare bankruptcy because someone tripped on the sidewalk outside your house!

By the way - don't worry about the earthquakes - you'll soon achieve the blissful state of ignoring their reality that it takes to live in an earthquake zone - must be something the air

surly Dec 7th 2007 12:01 am

Why do I stay here?

denzil75 Dec 7th 2007 12:12 am

right, after reading all these comments I'm off to book my flights back to sunny ol Sheffield :lol: