Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why did I come here?

Why did I come here?

Old Dec 6th 2007, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Why did I come here?

Last night was one of those moments when you stop and think was this a good idea?
I am superdelighted to be reunited with the wife and all is good but last night we went to earthquake 'preparedness' training. "Get ready Marin!"
Was slightly surreal to sit and listen to but then you do have to say it is a very real threat.
I am not shopping for plane fares so I am going to stay. I am actually going to be shopping for all the things on the list for my 'Go pack and Go List' etc etc

Has anyone else had a moment when the reality of where they have moved to (that you always knew existed eg. hurricanes in Florida) was brought into sharp focus for you?

Roll on SSN and Greencard delivery!

Mayhem.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did I come here?

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
Last night was one of those moments when you stop and think was this a good idea?
I am superdelighted to be reunited with the wife and all is good but last night we went to earthquake 'preparedness' training. "Get ready Marin!"
Was slightly surreal to sit and listen to but then you do have to say it is a very real threat.
I am not shopping for plane fares so I am going to stay. I am actually going to be shopping for all the things on the list for my 'Go pack and Go List' etc etc

Has anyone else had a moment when the reality of where they have moved to (that you always knew existed eg. hurricanes in Florida) was brought into sharp focus for you?

Mayhem.
Hurricane Katrina!
Old Dec 6th 2007, 5:33 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of scary things could happen to you in this country:

Forest fire
Earthquake
Hurricane
Tornado
Blizzard
Landslide
Floods
Lost in desert with no water
Poisonous snake bite
Eaten by alligator
Swallowed by a shark
Chased by bear or mountain lion

The sharks worry me the most!
Old Dec 6th 2007, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have the Talking Heads song 'How did I get here' as an ear-worm now?!
Old Dec 6th 2007, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

u went where??

why?

I thought u had just got here, what happened to the walks in the park hand in hand, dinners, sex, watching a movie together? Why in gods name would anyone go to a hurricane prepardness training? I am slightly bewilldered.

Putting it all into perspective though, u could go back to the uk and oh i forgot there are no hurricanes in the uk are there, tornados, or any of that stuff..
Old Dec 6th 2007, 6:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory

Forest fire
Earthquake
Hurricane
Tornado
Blizzard
Landslide
Floods
Poisonous snake bite
Eaten by alligator
Swallowed by a shark

To top that list, not having medical insurance?
Old Dec 6th 2007, 6:20 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
And the possibility of receiving a bad haircut!!!!:curse::curse:
Old Dec 6th 2007, 6:28 pm

Lord Knows is an unknown quantity at this point

Forest fire
Earthquake
Hurricane
Tornado
Blizzard
Landslide
Floods
Poisonous snake bite
Eaten by alligator
Swallowed by a shark

I know that feeling....
Like I was on an escalator one time man, and like it just like stopped man, and like it was three hours before they fixed it man. I was like late to work and my boss was like really bummed out man.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 7:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Knows
I know that feeling....
Like I was on an escalator one time man, and like it just like stopped man, and like it was three hours before they fixed it man. I was like late to work and my boss was like really bummed out man.
You're obviously under 50, because otherwise after being stuck in an elevator, being late for work would have been overshadowed by the fact that you had peed yourself.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 8:23 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
And the possibility of receiving a bad haircut!!!!:curse::curse:

That's more certain than death and taxes.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:32 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandana
Does anyone have the Talking Heads song 'How did I get here' as an ear-worm now?!
The song is called Once in a Lifetime, and it is the best description of what it's like to suddenly "wake up" in a foreign country!

I love it!
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Forest fire
Earthquake
Hurricane
Tornado
Blizzard
Landslide
Floods
Poisonous snake bite
Eaten by alligator
Swallowed by a shark

You forgot one...NJ drivers.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayhemuk

Mayhem.
Originally Posted by Bob
Or getting sued and having to declare bankruptcy because someone tripped on the sidewalk outside your house!

By the way - don't worry about the earthquakes - you'll soon achieve the blissful state of ignoring their reality that it takes to live in an earthquake zone - must be something the air
Old Dec 7th 2007, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Why do I stay here?
Old Dec 7th 2007, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

right, after reading all these comments I'm off to book my flights back to sunny ol Sheffield

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.