Reload this Page >

Why Americans Hate This “Immigration” Debate

Why Americans Hate This “Immigration” Debate

Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why Americans Hate This “Immigration” Debate

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
and "show off" they do.... I've always been impressed when I go to the Netherlands and say to someone... "do you speak English?" and they say "a little"... then I ask a question, and they reply with a long sentence perfect English!

A little humbling really, and kind of sad.
I speak two languages:

English

American

On the GC front, for the vast majority of holders Citizenship is just a question of time. 3 or 5 years.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:37 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
Very true. The lack of willingness of the British to learn other languages is pure ignorance. I have toured Europe on my beloved motorbike and made the effort to speak the native language of every country I visited. It is appreciated by the locals; even my French with a Nottinghamshire twang.

"Eyup me duck, est que vois avec une chambre pour une nuit? Merci bow cooooop"
I want to learn Spanish, set my cell phone to Spanish, trying to learn Spanish reading English and Spanish versions of the same articles. I just wish I could watch Spanish movies with English subtitles, would help me a lot. I should do some beginners Spanish classes, then I can practice speaking Spanish with others at work.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

and "show off" they do.... I've always been impressed when I go to the Netherlands and say to someone... "do you speak English?" and they say "a little"... then I ask a question, and they reply with a long sentence perfect English!

I went to uni with a guy who was half French half English. He spoke perfect French, English and Dutch and would hold conversations in all 3 languages at one.

I do my best with Spanish.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by User Name
I want to learn Spanish, set my cell phone to Spanish, trying to learn Spanish reading English and Spanish versions of the same articles. I just wish I could watch Spanish movies with English subtitles, would help me a lot. I should do some beginners Spanish classes, then I can practice speaking Spanish with others at work.
Hola! Como esta?
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:45 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
If I was ever to stay here long enough to have kids and they were to grow up american educated, with american accents I would be profoundly sad.

What does citizenship mean to me - that I could come and go as I please, nothing more, nothing less.
These statements sound a lot like the accusations some "native" Brits are making of immigrant Muslims.

Imagine an immigrant Pakistani saying, "I don't want my children British educated and if they had British accents I'd be profoundly sad. I only want the passport so I can work here and travel more easily -- forget participating in the rest of the society or having any responsibility to the country that's offered me a job, a place to live and the right to come and go freely."

How well would that go down?
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:47 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I went to uni with a guy who was half French half English. He spoke perfect French, English and Dutch and would hold conversations in all 3 languages at one.
Toon does Dutch, English, German, some French, a good amount of Spanish, and used to speak Portuguese.

I get by on my border Spanish, though I'm trying to learn Dutch and struggling.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:54 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

for the same reason my German never improved...I'd try my best and always without fail I'd have a German who was more than happy to practise their English....what can I say...I let them .....
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:54 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Hola! Como esta?
Hola, mi nombre es HAL 9000.
Todos mis circuitos están funcionando normalmente.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Toon does Dutch, English, German, some French, a good amount of Spanish, and used to speak Portuguese.

I get by on my border Spanish, though I'm trying to learn Dutch and struggling.
Dutch is easy:

"Hurdy gurdy blurdy goooopleonstaaaaag"
Which means: "Hey chap! How much for that 1/4 oz resin and half an hour with the hot piece of ass in the window?"
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by User Name
Hola, mi nombre es HAL 9000.
Todos mis circuitos están funcionando normalmente.
Whats this Space Oddessy in spanish?
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:58 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish is a piece of piss too. I learned it from the fast show.

Scorchio.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
for the same reason my German never improved...I'd try my best and always without fail I'd have a German who was more than happy to practise their English....what can I say...I let them .....
Yes but German in Welsh accent? "Now then guten morgen boyo. Vie gehts is'nit?"
Old Apr 5th 2006, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Manc

Scorchio.
El Scorchio. Gooaaaaaallllllla!!!!
Old Apr 5th 2006, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

Scorchio.
It's surprising how realistic that sketch is....
Old Apr 5th 2006, 4:03 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Hola Dave.....
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.