Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why Americans Hate This “Immigration” Debate

Why Americans Hate This “Immigration” Debate

Old Apr 5th 2006, 1:11 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why Americans Hate This “Immigration” Debate

interesting article

http://www.americanthinker.com/artic...rch=immigrants
Old Apr 5th 2006, 1:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Americans Hate This “Immigration” Debate

Originally Posted by vegas
Very good ... A lot to agree with there .........
Old Apr 5th 2006, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

IMO, the second group is a minority; I've met plenty of "Hispanics" who look down on that group.

Saying that, I was told by the cleaner at my gym that I should learn Spanish - he asked me in Spanish to move out the way so he could clean and I stared at him blankly ; then he proceeded to tell me in broken English:

"You know, Europeans know two languages" - as if to say Americans were inferior.

Which I told him was not true because I was European; OK I kind of lied but I was a bit annoyed at his comment.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 1:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
IMO, the second group is a minority; I've met plenty of "Hispanics" who look down on that group.

Saying that, I was told by the cleaner at my gym that I should learn Spanish - he asked me in Spanish to move out the way so he could clean and I stared at him blankly ; then he proceeded to tell me in broken English:

"You know, Europeans know two languages" - as if to say Americans were inferior.

Which I told him was not true because I was European; OK I kind of lied but I was a bit annoyed at his comment.
That was a threat ..shoot the *****er.......
Old Apr 5th 2006, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
That was a threat ..shoot the *****er.......
In the face?

The funny thing is, now he talks to me in English; it's broken English but he still tries.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 2:18 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

An excellent, insightful, article.

I do feel that an amnesty should be offered. If the illegals take it, knowing that they will have to assimilate, pay taxes, do jury duty, good for them.

Of course, they could be offered Residency (Green Card) rather than Citizenship in which case they would not have to assimilate or do jury duty but only pay taxes just like me.

Any "illegals" who refuse the amnesty are simply here illegally and should be sent back to wherever they came from, at their own expense.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 2:24 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Since when does the janitor tell a paying guest to move? Good thing he doesn't work for me.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 2:47 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

So are you not european or do you speak 2 languages ??
Old Apr 5th 2006, 2:51 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
What the guy actually said was "wanna licky dicky" ...
but AL is being shy ....
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Well he said they do, and I actually agree to a point - many Europeans do seem to (except the Brits!).
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
What the guy actually said was "wanna licky dicky" ...
but AL is being shy ....
Oh that wasn't the cleaner.....
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:10 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the article - I think the author makes some good points, but his idea of what makes a true "immigrant" is a rather misty-eyed, rose-tinted one.
Speaking as someone who works with a lot of fellow immigrants I would say that most of us are here for the money.
Now that their own economy is booming most Indians I work with are now looking to move back home.
All they ever wanted was what was best for them and their families, not to become Americans and I would be surprised if many ever came here solely to become "American".
Why did the poles and jews he mentioned come here ?? To get the f**k away from hitler, stalin et al i should imagine.

If I was ever to stay here long enough to have kids and they were to grow up american educated, with american accents I would be profoundly sad.

What does citizenship mean to me - that I could come and go as I please, nothing more, nothing less.

His points about people not learning english, etc are spot on and can be applied just as well to the UK.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:10 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Well he said they do, and I actually agree to a point - many Europeans do seem to (except the Brits!).
that's cos we already know English

Lets face it ...if somebody only knows two languages it's because their first one wasn't English. However people who speak several languages just do it to show off
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
that's cos we already know English

Lets face it ...if somebody only knows two languages it's because their first one wasn't English. However people who speak several languages just do it to show off
and "show off" they do.... I've always been impressed when I go to the Netherlands and say to someone... "do you speak English?" and they say "a little"... then I ask a question, and they reply with a long sentence perfect English!

A little humbling really, and kind of sad.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:30 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

A little humbling really, and kind of sad.
Very true. The lack of willingness of the British to learn other languages is pure ignorance. I have toured Europe on my beloved motorbike and made the effort to speak the native language of every country I visited. It is appreciated by the locals; even my French with a Nottinghamshire twang.

"Eyup me duck, est que vois avec une chambre pour une nuit? Merci bow cooooop"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.