Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Whose partner travels and leaves you 'home alone'?

Whose partner travels and leaves you 'home alone'?

Old Mar 19th 2006, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whose partner travels and leaves you 'home alone'?

Mine travels alot for his job, is probably gone 75% of the time. Sometimes it can be lonely when he is gone as we don't have kids. However, that said, I do enjoy those times of not having to cook dinner and slopping around in my tracky-dacky's. Also seems to be a lot less mess to clean up with him gone.

Things are about to change here as mine is likely to change jobs next month which will mean zero travel. Not sure how I will cope with him home all the time. Might have to learn to wrestle so I can get custody of the remote control on a part-time basis at least.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 10:38 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Ever since I met my spouse he's always travelled with his job, mainly overseas. When we were in Singapore he was away on regional travel in Asia about 60% - 70% of the time but most of the other expat 'trailing' spouses were in the same boat.

The weekends are the worst - at least in Africa, Middle East and Asia most expats are enrolled in a country club by their employers so there were always plenty of other 'home alone' wives and children to meet up with if they were left on their own at the weekends.

My husband flew to London last night. I really feel at a loss over here when he's away, the country clubs are very expensive, exclusive and low turnover of members so they're very cliquey I guess. We don't get membership anyway in the US.

I don't feel like imposing on my married friends as the weekends are really considered 'family time' and I don't feel that I could ask to tag along if they're doing an activity or going out as a couple on a 'date night' to a restaurant, theatre or movie. My teenage son now has a car and has his own social life.

I guess I'll be watching a DVD or reading a book tonight (when I'm not on here LOL!) but weekends 'home alone' really drag and really suck. It's when I really wish we had extended family living nearby.

My hubby just retired from the military in June, when he was still active duty he was gone at least 50% of the time (3-4 months at a time) and 4-5 months during my pregnancy with my son! When he retired I thought that it would be better. Well, he doesn't travel away anymore, he just spends every hour god sends at the business we own. It's 2 miles from the house and I never see him. The worst thing is the Saturdays. He works 12 hours minimum usually and that is the best day of the week. I definately find BE very helpful during those times! And yes, before anyone states the obvious, I could go and hang with him at work but to be quite honest who wants to do that (my son enjoys it though!). I miss the time that we can go out and do things as a family.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 1:17 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
Hubby did a lot of travelling when we were in the UK . He used to go sometimes 1-2 week trips about every 2-3 months, and shorter ones in between those. It's not much fun when you are bringing up kids when you have to be mother and father to them, and even less fun when they are teenagers and trying to pull a fast one one you. Just before we moved over here, he was away for approx 9 months and we only saw him about 3 times in all.
That sounds just like our life in the UK. A week after I gave birth to our daughter, off he went again I was grateful at the time that he was actually around when I had the children!

Hubby was back in the UK last weekend and a few days beforehand. He doesn't go away nearly as often as he did when we lived in the UK. A lot of his trips so far have generally been throughout the US. I don't mind it too much with the kids now that they are older (2 teenagers and one pre-teen) because I at least get a decent night's sleep (that is I don't get woken by them but I don't sleep well when he isn't in the bed too) and don't get woken up at an awful time in the morning. that was the killer for me when they were little and I was on my own! Didn't have family living nearby in the UK either - 2 hours or 1 whole day away makes no odds in the middle of the night.

I end up spending my whole time working on my college stuff or proofreading students papers that I don't think about him being away and the time just flies by.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

My husband works away fairly often but at least it's only for 5 days at the most now and very rarely at the weekend.

When we were still in the UK he spent 3 months in Singapore when the children were very young and I found that very difficult. I would put the kids to bed at 7.30pm and then would be sat watching TV on my own. My family and friends did pop round a couple of nights a week but I still felt very lonely. My parents also made sure I was busy doing something with them at the weekends when my friends were with their husbands and children.

My children are older now and I find it much easier when my husband does go away even though I am driving here, there and everywhere trying to get 2 children to 2 different sports at the same time.

Sometimes I even look forward to him being away for a couple of days.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 3:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=mandpete]My husband works away fairly often but at least it's only for 5 days at the most now and very rarely at the weekend.

Where are you in NJ. I live in Morris County.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 10:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Englishmum, you started this thread 24 hrs ago then you are MIA or is it AWOL? Well whatever. So watcha been up to then while your hubby is away, 'cos you ain't been on here?
Old Mar 19th 2006, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Jerseygirl]
Originally Posted by mandpete
My husband works away fairly often but at least it's only for 5 days at the most now and very rarely at the weekend.

Where are you in NJ. I live in Morris County.
I live in Mercer County.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 12:07 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Whose partner travels and leaves you 'home alone'?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hey Englishmum, you started this thread 24 hrs ago then you are MIA or is it AWOL? Well whatever. So watcha been up to then while your hubby is away, 'cos you ain't been on here?
Went shopping at Short Hills mall (boring)

Bought groceries at King's - found Irish back bacon

Did some laundry, made lunch

Went to my girlfriend's house - haven't seen her for a while, but her boyfriend was there eavesdropping so it was hard to talk - they've just had a dirty weekend in Boston which she wanted to tell me about and she's flying to Delhi tonight......I've left my laptop lead there (we're trying to book a short trip, no luck so far) so my battery will die soon.

Husband sent me via e-mail a nice short and very naughty video of himself via Comcast LOL!

Dinner
TV tonight or book reading and folding laundry.

Ho hum
Old Mar 20th 2006, 12:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Bought groceries at King's - found Irish back bacon

Did some laundry, made lunch

Went to my girlfriend's house - haven't seen her for a while, but her boyfriend was there eavesdropping so it was hard to talk - they've just had a dirty weekend in Boston which she wanted to tell me about and she's flying to Delhi tonight......I've left my laptop lead there (we're trying to book a short trip, no luck so far) so my battery will die soon.

Husband sent me via e-mail a nice short and very naughty video of himself via Comcast LOL!

Dinner
TV tonight or book reading and folding laundry.

Ho hum

Sopranos at 9, Footballers Wives then Mile High to follow on BBC America.
Recording Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy. Feet up, glass of wine, more Cadburys, dog by my side what more could a girl ask for?
Old Mar 20th 2006, 1:24 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Old Mar 20th 2006, 2:14 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

she's flying to Delhi tonight......I've left my laptop lead there (we're trying to book a short trip, no luck so far) so my battery will die soon.
And she's going all the way to Delhi to pick it up for you - a friend indeed

I used to do a lot of travelling, and so did my wife. Pre-kids it wasn't too bad - we were both doing OK in our careers, and it was just something that we accepted had to be done - everybody else was, why should we be different? It got so crazy at one point that in a 3 week period not long after we got married, the only time we saw each other was for an hour in the Business Lounge in Singapore Changi airport - I was en route from London to Oz, she was en route from Japan to India.....

Then the company said I had to go back to London (after a long stint in singapore) just as my wife fell pregnant with our first. It was a great career move, but the knowledge that the "time out of the house" on a normal day would be around 15 hours, and there'd be 50% + travelling, and with a kid on the way, we sat down and re-evaluated. I resigned, and haven't really "worked" since - that was almost 6 years ago - no regrets at all!!
Old Mar 20th 2006, 1:28 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

My husband travels on business sometimes, I miss him badly but don't miss his snoring and like others have said, the welcome home part is lovely!

I usually find plenty to keep busy, and of course can please myself as far as mealtimes, etc. My only real bugbear is that my stepson takes advantage when his dad's out of town, and doesn't pay me as much attention as he does his dad - he's 19 and thinks he's King of the Hill. Don't they all.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 2:18 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I'll be watching a DVD or reading a book tonight (when I'm not on here LOL!) but weekends 'home alone' really drag and really suck. It's when I really wish we had extended family living nearby.
sounds like you don't have little kids so you have the freedom to do and go were you like evenings and weekends....enjoy yourself...join a group do something you always wanted but didn't have the time for..
Old Mar 20th 2006, 2:27 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

And with the wonder of modern science we can bring you that video
So here is what Engishmums hubby does when he is alone....

http://media.putfile.com/video4690
Old Mar 20th 2006, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Ever since I met my spouse he's always travelled with his job, mainly overseas. When we were in Singapore he was away on regional travel in Asia about 60% - 70% of the time but most of the other expat 'trailing' spouses were in the same boat.

The weekends are the worst - at least in Africa, Middle East and Asia most expats are enrolled in a country club by their employers so there were always plenty of other 'home alone' wives and children to meet up with if they were left on their own at the weekends.

My husband flew to London last night. I really feel at a loss over here when he's away, the country clubs are very expensive, exclusive and low turnover of members so they're very cliquey I guess. We don't get membership anyway in the US.

I don't feel like imposing on my married friends as the weekends are really considered 'family time' and I don't feel that I could ask to tag along if they're doing an activity or going out as a couple on a 'date night' to a restaurant, theatre or movie. My teenage son now has a car and has his own social life.

I must admit, EM, if I was in your position, I would have moved back to the UK years ago, as from your posts over the years, your husband is away more often that he is, whatever country he is working in the moment. Still at least the end is in sight, your son is almost at the end of his high school career and from what you say, is going to college in the UK.

Wish we could say the same, all 3 of my kids have decided to stay put in the US for now, so although Emily starts college in 2007, we will be here for at least the first yr she is in college to make sure she has settled in. Being the youngest, she is not as mature as her elder sister was when she started college.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.