Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who's your neighbor?

Who's your neighbor?

Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:56 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's your neighbor?

Originally Posted by Ray
but if I saw YOUR life in danger ..I would assist you...
Actually, I know that. And I know other people who would do the same. And I know some who have (not for me, and not in this country).
Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:40 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Out on the street I like to take a preventative attitude to personal safety.

i.e. carry one's personal belongings discreetly and within your sight (not in back pockets, not hanging in a bag on one's back)
not going to known hazardous neighborhoods after dark (or if you do, travel in a group and stick to major roads)
keeping one's eyes and ears open to odd behaviors by others
making an effort to blend in with one's surroundings so as not to draw attention to oneself

I've done a fair bit of independent travelling alone and have visited some neighborhoods with dodgy reputations in the US and have never been close to getting into problems.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:44 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

NC Penguin
I like to take self-defence classes that teach you to kick 'em where it hurts.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:46 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I like to fart in close proximity to those who attempt to grope me. This has proven very effective.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 17th 2005, 2:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
The term vigilante has been used in this thread ...and its really not the case ....I have the tool to protect me and mine... and while I carry a weapon legally on the street... I never go out looking for an excuse to use it. most people don't .. but if I saw YOUR life in danger ..I would assist you...
not to seem critical or anything, but what if, what you see isn't what you thought was the case and you shoot some poor innocent arsehole that grabbed the gun off some other arsehole that was trying to mug him?
Old Feb 17th 2005, 2:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

but those people often have no balls...
Old Feb 17th 2005, 2:42 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

i.e. carry one's personal belongings discreetly and within your sight (not in back pockets, not hanging in a bag on one's back)
not going to known hazardous neighborhoods after dark (or if you do, travel in a group and stick to major roads)
keeping one's eyes and ears open to odd behaviors by others
making an effort to blend in with one's surroundings so as not to draw attention to oneself

I've done a fair bit of independent travelling alone and have visited some neighborhoods with dodgy reputations in the US and have never been close to getting into problems.

NC Penguin
re: My Merchant Navy days...

I have visited approximately 85 countries over 26 years. The dock area is not always the most salubrious. I have also lived in Manhattan.

Only once did I ever feel at risk, that was in Lagos (Nigeria) which is also the only place I ever saw a policeman commit an assault. NYC is the only place I ever saw a street crime (necklace snatch - 42nd Street).

At no time have I seen a gun drawn in anger or heard one fired outside a range or hunting environment.

Maybe the world is a safer place than we all think.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 2:54 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
re: My Merchant Navy days...

I have visited approximately 85 countries over 26 years. The dock area is not always the most salubrious. I have also lived in Manhattan.

Only once did I ever feel at risk, that was in Lagos (Nigeria) which is also the only place I ever saw a policeman commit an assault. NYC is the only place I ever saw a street crime (necklace snatch - 42nd Street).

At no time have I seen a gun drawn in anger or heard one fired outside a range or hunting environment.

Maybe the world is a safer place than we all think.
I've seen people mugged in the London Underground (not with any violence though), inc. my best friend.

A couple of women attempted to steal from me in a dept. store in London once. I caught them at it and followed them to the next store where they were going to try that trick. Security guard in store took an interest but I doubt he did anything.

Similar thing nearly happened in the Paris metro one time. Again, caught the girl at it and screamed at her. She scarpered out of the carriage with her gang of cronies.

Shouldn't be lulled into a false sense of security that the world is a safe place. On the other hand, shouldn't take a paranoid view about matters either.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
but those people often have no balls...
This is true, but I'm reliably informed that all their kneecaps are at about the same height from the ground, whereas their groins are not (makes it easier to aim), and that this is in fact a better place for a well-aimed kick, since most men will move to defend the groin first. So I'm told.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 4:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
not to seem critical or anything, but what if, what you see isn't what you thought was the case and you shoot some poor innocent arsehole that grabbed the gun off some other arsehole that was trying to mug him?
I said I carried a weapon ...no mention was made of what type in that paragraph.. the Florida Carry permit ...is for a concealed weapon not specifically a gun ..it can be anything...
Old Feb 17th 2005, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
I said I carried a weapon ...no mention was made of what type in that paragraph.. the Florida Carry permit ...is for a concealed weapon not specifically a gun ..it can be anything...
What, like a tongue you mean?
Old Feb 17th 2005, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Texas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sibsie

I do know how to load and unload one and that's enough for me.
Unloading is easy. That's what that trigger thing is for, right?
Old Feb 17th 2005, 4:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

What, like a tongue you mean?
Or a sharpened banana..... a weighted pomegranite..or even the extra strong trebor mints...
Old Feb 17th 2005, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
My neighbor is so paranoid it doesnt matter, he knows everyone with a criminal record within 20 miles and has a gun.
Lovely. :scared:

And I agree, don't know which would be better...the criminals or the gun toting vigilantes....tough decision.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 4:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

This is true, but I'm reliably informed that all their kneecaps are at about the same height from the ground, whereas their groins are not (makes it easier to aim), and that this is in fact a better place for a well-aimed kick, since most men will move to defend the groin first. So I'm told.
That's very true...a shift kick to the shins hurts like hell, while they grab the shin, kick the other knee, makes kicking them in the nuts easier as there on the ground by then...can just stamp on 'em...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.