Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who's your neighbor?

Who's your neighbor?

Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:29 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's your neighbor?

Originally Posted by Ray
Allow me ..I will take you personally under my wing ..so to speak...
we can do the theory in the Hot Tub...
Would that be with or without water in the tub? Will you be playing the squirrel?

NC Penguin
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Would that be with or without water in the tub? Will you be playing the squirrel?
NC Penguin
I thought penguins loved the water...and ummm NO !!!
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=NC Penguin]Would that be with or without water in the tub? Will you be playing the squirrel?

Excuse me, time for the Ostrich Watcher to step in here
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:35 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=rogerpenycate]

Excuse me, time for the Ostrich Watcher to step in here
You want to join in too? Be my guest...

NC Penguin
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So, why don't you learn to shoot? That way you'll:

1) have the opportunity to defend yourself if necessary
2) know how to use the weapons safely
problem is though, if you get the gun, what if the bandit calls your bluff? you'll have to shoot 'em of get the gun taken off you and then get shot....does put you in a bit of a position that you'll have to actually shoot someone...Ray, I can't see havin' a problem with that though
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:47 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
problem is though, if you get the gun, what if the bandit calls your bluff? you'll have to shoot 'em of get the gun taken off you and then get shot....does put you in a bit of a position that you'll have to actually shoot someone...Ray, I can't see havin' a problem with that though
The daft thing is BOB .. half the people who have a gun in their home.. leave it unloaded... making it useless... but of course with children I can see why ..
We do not ever allow children in our house ... but there are weapons becoming available to solve that problem in the not too distant future..
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:52 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Bob
I don't quite understand what you wrote above.

Legally speaking, I can only shoot at someone if I am in mortal danger (potential to die, not be injured). I think this means I should avoid the scenario of getting shot by someone else at all costs.

Is that correct Ray? Or does the law vary from state to state?

NC Penguin
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:56 pm
Banned

precise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ray
Oh shit... I have many ....many
Guns and aliases.....
Old Feb 16th 2005, 8:07 pm
Ray

I don't quite understand what you wrote above.
Legally speaking, I can only shoot at someone if I am in mortal danger (potential to die, not be injured). I think this means I should avoid the scenario of getting shot by someone else at all costs.
Is that correct Ray? Or does the law vary from state to state?
NC Penguin
Yup that correct in most States.. we have a new law here in Florida soon hopefully which would bar prosecution of people who use deadly force against intruders in the homes and vehicles of the defender..which basically does away with the idea that you retreat from the aggressor...
Old Feb 16th 2005, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

So let me get this right, Ray.

You haven't smoked for over 2 weeks AND you've got guns..

Glad I'm not a door-to-door salesman in your neighborhood

P.S. You'll be OK, the cravings stop after six or seven years
Old Feb 16th 2005, 8:39 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Big Vern
You haven't smoked for over 2 weeks AND you've got guns..
Glad I'm not a door-to-door salesman in your neighborhood
P.S. You'll be OK, the cravings stop after six or seven years
Do you know here in Redneckville we have never had a door to door saleman here...no idea why...
Thanks!!!! everybody keeps telling me after 3 weeks the cravings virtually stop...
Old Feb 16th 2005, 8:47 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Ray
Do you know here in Redneckville we have never had a door to door saleman here...no idea why...
Thanks!!!! everybody keeps telling me after 3 weeks the cravings virtually stop...
Maybe if you're lucky your cravings will change from nicotine to something else (legal)!

NC Penguin
Old Feb 16th 2005, 9:02 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

There is no place in society for vigilante justice.

The "What if I have an intruder in my house" doesn't hold any water as you are more likely to be mugged in broad daylight than raped and pillaged in your own home.

Chances are, if you know there is an intruder in your house, most people will kack their pants, hide and call 9-11.

you don't take you pistol outdoors and blow peoples heads off if they look at you funny in Walmart, so what make people think it is ok to do in there own home where the chances are slim to none of ever needing it is beyond me.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 9:06 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Yup that correct in most States.. we have a new law here in Florida soon hopefully which would bar prosecution of people who use deadly force against intruders in the homes and vehicles of the defender..which basically does away with the idea that you retreat from the aggressor...
I think the rule of thumb is to shoot the intruder in the chest, i.e. from the front. Even if you have to turn them over and drag them back into the house to do it.

If they are shot in the chest inside your house it must be self defense n'est pas ?

Seriously though, I have always held the belief that if you live in a neighborhood where you have to keep a loaded sidearm to defend your home and family - you need to move.

I once had a girlfriend in San Antonio TX who shared the house with her teenage daughter. She kept a loaded pump action shotgun by the bed. She said that the sound of chambering the round would scare most intruders away. She also told me that if she shot and killed an intruder, in her circumstances, it would be a misdemeanour at the most.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 9:09 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Manc
There is no place in society for vigilante justice.

The "What if I have an intruder in my house" doesn't hold any water as you are more likely to be mugged in broad daylight than raped and pillaged in your own home.

Chances are, if you know there is an intruder in your house, most people will kack their pants, hide and call 9-11.

you don't take you pistol outdoors and blow peoples heads off if they look at you funny in Walmart, so what make people think it is ok to do in there own home where the chances are slim to none of ever needing it is beyond me.
In the US, people do carry their firearms outdoors, in public spaces though. This is courtesy of concealed carry permits, applicable in many states. There are exceptions. e.g. In VA these permits aren't necessary so people can openly carry firearms.

Plus, off duty law enforcement (in civilian gear) can carry their firearms openly, I believe. I saw a colleague's spouse, a City policeman, in the grocery store one time and I saw clearly saw his "piece".

NC Penguin

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.