Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who's done their taxes yet?

Wikiposts

Who's done their taxes yet?

Old Jan 17th 2014, 2:55 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's done their taxes yet?

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Mine came in the mail yesterday, not sure why they didn't just attach it to my paycheck tomorrow morning, presumably so it is shown to be postmarked in January,
I'm a first time employer (since October) and had to, rapidly, learn the tax law to file 52 W2s for the animal emergency hospital we just bought.
W2s have to be in an envelope marked 'Important Tax Information Enclosed'. One could argue they could have put your paycheck in the same envelope, but the format of a W2 may not match your paycheck.
I prepared tax returns for my employees for the previous owners and for us as the employer. I sent each W2 in its own envelope. Something about dealing with the IRS brings out the over cautious in me

I've always done our taxes, and will be doing so for our new PLLC as well.
Our return this year will have 3 hobby businesses, an LLC, a PLLC, multiple 1099s and W2s for us both, and the complications of a ranch and depreciating ag equipment. Its not hard, if you have the patience.

The best person to do your taxes is the person who knows the most about your circumstances, IMHO.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:14 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have a go this weekend - turbo tax has my info from previous years- if i make a gain ,it will likely pay their fee.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Given that the IRS are not accepting individual returns for 2013 yet, it would be tough to file them at the moment.

And then of course there is the new net investment tax on growth within UK pension plans to figure out still for some folks this year...
Old Jan 17th 2014, 10:42 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
Given that the IRS are not accepting individual returns for 2013 yet, it would be tough to file them at the moment.

And then of course there is the new net investment tax on growth within UK pension plans to figure out still for some folks this year...
Really? When then?
Old Jan 17th 2014, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/2014...-Speed-Refunds
Old Jan 17th 2014, 11:28 pm
BE Irregular

Well. That is new to me that you can file too early!
Old Jan 18th 2014, 12:22 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Well. That is new to me that you can file too early!
I'd never heard of that, either. Didn't know there was such a concept as "too early." However, since my W2 has never come before the first week of February, it's never been an issue.

I almost always use the paper and pencil method. I find it easiest, assuming almost everything on the return is as last year with maybe one new thing each year. Last year the "new thing" was my wife beginning to get her British State Pension in 2012, and 2013 she started to receive her New York State Pension, so the NYS pension will be my "new thing" this year. With something new, I'd rather spend time researching it, enter it in the correct place and then I'm confident with the result .. rather than attempting to follow obscure, hard to interpret prompts on TurboTax etc.

I'll be doing mine pretty late this year, I'm in England till late March so need to do the IRS and NYS returns as soon as I get back. Then I'll look at that new online way of doing the FBAR.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
As long as it's legitimate and you don't owe interest it's always better to owe them, because you get to hold onto the money for longer and can invest it.
I agree, if you get it all back at the end of the year you'll treat it as a windfall and go buy a new flat screen TV or something, better off using it year round.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

watchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura about

Never have done them, haven't a clue how to do them, leave everything to the wife and we seem to get money back every year
Old Jan 18th 2014, 6:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Only 10 days later than usual...
Old Jan 18th 2014, 6:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'd never heard of that, either. Didn't know there was such a concept as "too early." However, since my W2 has never come before the first week of February, it's never been an issue.
This is the first year the missus has gotten her's so early, usually like you in the first week of Feb, so it's never been a issue before either.

We've just gotten the insurance letter of coverage and the stock options thingy info.

Just waiting on student loans now
Old Jan 18th 2014, 7:08 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP
Can't help with the IRS unofficial rate yet for 1040's, but this came up on UKY yesterday. If you have to file an FBAR or a Form 8938, this is the official Treasury rate for 31 Dec. 2013.

http://www.fms.treas.gov/intn.html#rates

It's not good news. Usually, the IRS unofficial rate is lower (hopefully, much lower).
That's the rate on the last day of the year, so the IRS average rate should be a lot lower. But it raises another oh heck moment, I've always used the IRS rate on the FBAR form.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
That's the rate on the last day of the year, so the IRS average rate should be a lot lower. But it raises another oh heck moment, I've always used the IRS rate on the FBAR form.
Using the IRS rate on an FBAR is not an uncommon mistake. I will admit to doing the same for many years before being made aware of my error.

FBAR is a Treasury form, not an IRS form. According to the instructions, you must use the Treasury rate for 31 Dec. Does it really matter? I suppose if the amounts are in the 8 figure range, it might.

The real 'oops' moment comes for those who must complete Form 8938. It's part of your 1040 return, on which you use the IRS unofficial rate, but the instructions for 8938 say you must use the Treasury rate for 8938. Therefore, one rate on all the 1040 info, and Treasury rate on the asset reporting. Of course, when you die, the IRS will look at the 8938 and say your estate should be match those figures. Hmmm.....
Old Jan 18th 2014, 8:36 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP
Using the IRS rate on an FBAR is not an uncommon mistake. I will admit to doing the same for many years before being made aware of my error.

FBAR is a Treasury form, not an IRS form. According to the instructions, you must use the Treasury rate for 31 Dec. Does it really matter? I suppose if the amounts are in the 8 figure range, it might.

The real 'oops' moment comes for those who must complete Form 8938. It's part of your 1040 return, on which you use the IRS unofficial rate, but the instructions for 8938 say you must use the Treasury rate for 8938. Therefore, one rate on all the 1040 info, and Treasury rate on the asset reporting. Of course, when you die, the IRS will look at the 8938 and say your estate should be match those figures. Hmmm.....
Just read the instruction for the online FBAR, and of course it does say the treasury rate. Before our CPA has completed the FBAR with our taxes so I gave him the value after I converted it to $. On the day one account had the highest amount in it, in 2013, the exchange rate from xe.com data was $1.49, but I have to convert it at $1.65. Fortunately the difference doesn't put me into having to file the 8938.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:06 am

One job done. FBAR form completed online and this year I know it has been done correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.