Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who Loves Where They Live...?

Who Loves Where They Live...?

Old Feb 13th 2014, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who Loves Where They Live...?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
IMHO adding "there's no way .... " to your statement made it as rude as the retort your post provoked.
Please.........................
Old Feb 13th 2014, 12:12 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I lived in Georgia for 3 years when I first came to the US - would never consider going back there again - full of rednecks and bigots. You couldn't pay me to live there..........................
That's a bit rude isn't it?
Old Feb 13th 2014, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
No it isn't - I've only written what I experienced - maybe it's because it was a small town, but trust me, it was full of rednecks and bigots - the racism was unbelievable. This was back in the mid to late 80s. Maybe things have improved there now - but living there left a very bad taste in my mouth.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Please.........................
You said an entire state was full of rednecks and bigots, then you whined that someone was rude to you?

Old Feb 13th 2014, 1:52 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
I agree it is, so very generalised and perhaps the issue is with the poster and not the supposed rednecks and bigots encountered. I will concede there must have been a few though.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookie2112
My fiance (scouser) and I have decided after 2yrs in PA to head home. The weather here is great but we just can't get to grips with how no one looks out for each other out here, we just find it a rather unpleasant, souless life. We have an incredible house, can buy shed loads of clothes and generally the material side of things is far better than the UK. We will have to accept never living in a house as big, not being paid as much etc but its not life. It's about people and while we have met lots of very nice people we just miss the 'feel' of home. It was always going to be hard missing family so we were more reliant on the professional and social things being well but that hasn't transpired. I am told that people in the NE are generally 'wired' and not as nice as western and southern people but I guess that's my rotten luck. The UK is just a nicer place than here IMO
I have found my experience in the US to be the same. After 13 years in Florida I haven't made any good friends, even though I'm a very sociable person, inviting people round for dinner, cards, drinks, pool parties etc. I've found Americans to be very shallow and only interested in you if there's something to be gained for themselves. We've just put our house up for sale and will be moving back to the UK when it sells. I don't regret moving to the US, it's been an experience and we've been fortunate that through our business we've traveled and spent time in most states. However, in my opinion the US isn't a patch on the UK, but I guess it's all to do with what you're looking for in life and it wouldn't do for us all to be the same
Old Feb 13th 2014, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
I have found my experience in the US to be the same. After 13 years in Florida I haven't made any good friends, even though I'm a very sociable person, inviting people round for dinner, cards, drinks, pool parties etc. I've found Americans to be very shallow and only interested in you if there's something to be gained for themselves. We've just put our house up for sale and will be moving back to the UK when it sells. I don't regret moving to the US, it's been an experience and we've been fortunate that through our business we've traveled and spent time in most states. However, in my opinion the US isn't a patch on the UK, but I guess it's all to do with what you're looking for in life and it wouldn't do for us all to be the same
Really? Every last one of them? Or just the few that you came across in Florida?
Old Feb 13th 2014, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pupsiecola
Been lurking for a while. Lots of people seem to view their US move as temporary/medium term. I just wondered if anyone loves where they moved to and has no intention of moving back to the UK/elsewhere? I guess it's a "have you found your grass is actually greener place" sort of a question.

Thanks.
I like it here. Maryland is a great state to live in and I've been here 16 years now. We have mountains on one side and beaches on the other. We get 4 real seasons. We're within striking distance of interesting cities such as Washington DC, Philadelphia and New York. However, I can see myself retiring to somewhere where my money will go further. Maybe Mexico, the Caribbean, Central or South America, or Europe.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 5:29 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
Lesson I had to learn and took a few years to figure out, is that I had to adapt to a new culture and way of thinking rather than expecting people to think like me as I did back home. We are different, and that is more in line with adjustment issues than one being superior to the other. Good friendships take a lot of give and take, and especially time. I had to learn to change my expectations to understand that the differences were the barrier rather than assuming others were lacking. Took time and an attitude adjustment and the results for me have been amazing. I live on the west coast and maybe that has a lot to do with it.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
Lesson I had to learn and took a few years to figure out, is that I had to adapt to a new culture and way of thinking rather than expecting people to think like me as I did back home. We are different, and that is more in line with adjustment issues than one being superior to the other. Good friendships take a lot of give and take, and especially time. I had to learn to change my expectations to understand that the differences were the barrier rather than assuming others were lacking. Took time and an attitude adjustment and the results for me have been amazing. I live on the west coast and maybe that has a lot to do with it.

When people write off an entire country based on their limited experiences I do wonder if it's the entire country that's at fault or perhaps it might be them...
Old Feb 13th 2014, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins

When people write off an entire country based on their limited experiences I do wonder if it's the entire country that's at fault or perhaps it might be them...
Brits are not usually complainers , but I can see their point when living in another country that doesn't give the hand outs there so use to , US doesn't give out free housing or pay someone for having children ect, it all takes time getting use to , but it's not right to blame their neighbors for it either, also I think the US lacks the pubs that so many Brits are use to , I'd like to see more local pubs too.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 1:51 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

No it isn't - I've only written what I experienced - maybe it's because it was a small town, but trust me, it was full of rednecks and bigots - the racism was unbelievable. This was back in the mid to late 80s. Maybe things have improved there now - but living there left a very bad taste in my mouth.
I guess you are from Derry. Back in the 80s a lot of people fled Derry because of the trouble there. A lot of bigotry went on due to ignorance and different beliefs. No where is perfect.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 2:06 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Originally Posted by Ruth16
Brits are not usually complainers , .
You're kidding right? Brits relish a good moan but it does not necessarily define them personally. It is a huge part of our cultural behaviour and one that Americans take literally. All they hear is the glass half empty mentality and just one very classic example of the differences I am talking about. It not just a terminology issue but an inference in the language used too.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 2:08 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruth16
Brits are not usually complainers

Old Feb 13th 2014, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Sportychico is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I love it here at the moment, life is more easy going and less anal than in the UK.

Everyone who has come over to visit has been amazed at the quaility of life we have here and actually mentioned that we would be foolish to move back. I've never said never but right now i can't see it happening. Every time I go back i find the UK depressing, its crowded, i get claustrophobic and the cost of living is insane. I see friends struggling, living in tiny spaces and worrying about their cars passing the next MOT.
Not forgetting the awful weather as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.