Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who Loves Where They Live...?

Who Loves Where They Live...?

Old Jan 11th 2014, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who Loves Where They Live...?

Nobody LOVES Delaware not even those born here
Old Jan 11th 2014, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

We like where we are in southern CA. We have been here 9 months, so not really long enough to say that we love it yet. Give it some more time and I think I will grow to love it. We did love living in CO though.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Melly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to behold

I love living in a small community with both mountains & water all around me (Puget sound in the Pacific Northwest). We have a modest sized log cabin (which I adore) on 2.5 acres down a country road. I'm very fortunate to have only a 20 minute work commute, which takes me along the water front through a small working class town, in which I also work, and one I relate too through my own working class roots. I consider myself very fortunate to have several weeks vacation, and a very flexible work schedule (hasn't always been that way over the 29yrs I've been here). I came to the States (Virginia) as a 20yr old with my parents. I basically came as working class/blue collar and have remained that way through out my years here. I haven't amassed a fortune while here, just stashing a bit in my 401K & hopefully SS will pick up the rest I have a super hubby (USC) & and wonderful son that is thriving in a great school district. I would be remiss if I didn't mention that, I too, have concerns about retiring here (health insurance/concerns and all that), plus I miss my family (parents & brother + his kids) very, very much. Although, even though I am desperately homesick at times, when the cards are on the table, I just don't think I could go back and live in the UK. My husband would have to re-train in his field (aviation) & I could never make the same money back in the UK doing what I'm doing. I enjoy a few luxuries like my Mercedes Benz, and a ski boat (both used) which we use most weekends in the summer and which I believe I could never aspire to if back in the UK. Anyhoo, that's a brief snap shot
Old Jan 11th 2014, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

In my 35 years here, I have lived in 10 different states, and some I have liked more than others. I enjoy where we live now in TN, and I don't see us ever leaving the USA, particularly now that I am retired. We could not have attained the standard of living in the UK that we have here. Then again I think I am the kind of person who seems to be able to settle more or less anywhere. Also, wherever I have lived, I have always tried to look for the positive aspects. It is much more rewarding than seeking out the negatives, and moaning about them. I am sure there may have been negatives everywhere I have lived, but I have not let them bother me.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 2:20 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casual Observer
Nobody LOVES Delaware not even those born here
I lived there from the age of 8-11 and it actually is one of my favourite places in the world.

I clearly can never visit again because I will realize I knew **** all as a kid and the place is actually shit. I refuse to tarnish those memories!
Old Jan 12th 2014, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
I lived there from the age of 8-11 and it actually is one of my favourite places in the world.

I clearly can never visit again because I will realize I knew **** all as a kid and the place is actually shit. I refuse to tarnish those memories!
Well if Katy TX is the benchmark
Old Jan 12th 2014, 2:27 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casual Observer
Well if Katy TX is the benchmark
I even lived in Newark.

Katy is probably bigger than DE.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 2:30 am
The worse half of Weeze

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=newar...aware&t=h&z=18

3 years of my childhood were here.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Paper Mill Road has very British feel to it - I think it is the traffic light cameras lol
Old Jan 12th 2014, 2:40 am
The worse half of Weeze

It's 20+ years since I lived there, I doubt there were the cameras then. We were the house that now has the big pool, but that wasn't there then . Snowy winters and hot summers, and a lot of time spent mucking around on bikes in forests. Sigh.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I love it here and never want to move back to the UK.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Melly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kins
I love it here and never want to move back to the UK.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 4:00 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

It did take some adjusting in the first number of years, and then I had light bulb moment which made me appreciate that attitude is everything. I settled down pretty well after that and feel this is my home now.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Love Portland, OR.

Home is where the family is but Portland just feels 'right'. I also happen to like the most relaxed political climate on the left coast. No plans to move back but we have always said that any catastrophic illness in the family would probably force a move back to Europe.

I'm British but prefer France and my wife is French but prefers the UK. C'est la vie!

God willing I'd like to retire in Oregon, perhaps downsize the house and travel but home would be Oregon.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain

God willing I'd like to retire in Oregon, perhaps downsize the house and travel but home would be Oregon.
In all seriousness, if the politics are important to you, stay west of the Cascades.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.