Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who Loves Where They Live...?

Who Loves Where They Live...?

Old Jan 9th 2014, 3:49 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who Loves Where They Live...?

I love where I am but I am not sure if it's Houston I love or just that I am loving life at the moment, do you know what I mean. I love our lifestyle here more than I did back home (prob cos I'm not working here ) we have more disposable income, we eat out more, the weather is better, lots to do, everyone is happy and healthy. But I also live with the reality that it could all change if hubby lost his job, serious health problems etc but I suppose that's the same everywhere.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I like where we are living now in SC but I also liked where we were living in IN. I think if you have a positive attitude then you are more likely to enjoy life. (Just my opinion.) I have zero desire to move back to the UK.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:12 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

It took me a long while to get used to living here. I kept comparing everything to what things were like in the UK. One day i came to the realisation that this is NOT the UK and is unreasonable to expect things to be the same. I have since embraced the culture here and have now have a fondness for this country that i didn't believe could happen when i first moved here. I find i have a better standard of living here, true i have had to give up having as much paid time off and access to "free" healthcare, but i feel i can provide a better life for me and my family out here than i could back in the UK, i have far more opportunities here than i had back in blighty. The pros far outweigh the cons to me as of right now, as others have mentioned if my work situation was to change drastically and the benefits that come with that then the answer would probably be a lot different.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I happen to believe I live in one of the best locations anywhere on earth. I've been coming to Monterey pretty much every year for the past 12 years and now I live here! Married to a yank, who just happens to love the UK, so I'm not gonna say we'll never move back, but I doubt it.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Pupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You title sort of only asks for replies from people who love it here, though.
Sure. I just wanted to read some encouraging stories. I guess lots of people post for advice or when things aren't going so well. It's good to read that it's working out for some folks.

As I said, for us it all revolves around school. We'd go tomorrow otherwise. We're both very up for it. Hopefully by this time next year we'll be there
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:04 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You title sort of only asks for replies from people who love it here, though.
Nice to have a positive thread for a change without all the whining.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:06 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Nice to have a positive thread for a change without all the whining.
What has electrical charge got to do with unbridled subjectivity?
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:11 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say the grass is greener here, but Portland Oregon is a lot nicer to place to live than London was. An hour east and I am in a lodge 6000 feet up a mountain with some of the best skiing in the US. (I don't ski just like mountains with snow on them). 90 minutes the other way I am at the coast.

We have more room here than we did in the UK, and a better standard of living. I have no plans to move back to the UK, but then I would never say never. If we were to consider it my guess is we would go somewhere in Yorkshire, but I really can't see it happening.

Feet firmly planted on US soil, I've gone native.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:17 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of it really depends on where you are.

I'm in a (relatively old for the region) sleepy little village on the far northern end of a large metropolitan area so I get lots of conveniences but I don't sacrifice the peace and quiet and slower pace of life like I'd have to if we lived closer in to Chicago. That made it easier to come to terms with the fact that I don't actually hate it here!

I haven't gone native as much as I've undergone cultural osmosis. As I said before, the best of both worlds, as it were.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:19 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
A lot of it really depends on where you are.
On the couch.

It's very nice.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:27 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Nutek
On the couch.

It's very nice.
Yeah, my couch was so nice last night I fell asleep on it
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:34 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Yeah, my couch was so nice last night I fell asleep on it
My couch is more comfortable than my bed. I probably sleep on it once a week!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:39 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Bink
My couch is more comfortable than my bed. I probably sleep on it once a week!
I've been working long hours this week. By the time I get comfy, I'm so Donald Ducked that I just can't be arsed gettng up. Usually I'll go to bed during the night but this morning I slept right through to my alarm.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I love Vermont, it's beautiful and pretty liberal. I like the town we live in but it is very stratified (as is much of VT). But I hate the cold.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 8:53 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by nethead
I love Vermont, it's beautiful and pretty liberal. I like the town we live in but it is very stratified (as is much of VT). But I hate the cold.
I think for me (even though it gets cold here and I like it), if I were in your position, dealing with the cold would be greatly offset by the autumns in Vermont.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.