Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who has done DCF in London?

Who has done DCF in London?

Old Oct 11th 2003, 10:46 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future
Default Who has done DCF in London?

Hi guys

Im getting a bit annoyed coz Im still not 100% what to do on my affidavit of support, and havent had many responses on the forums as of yet. So, as to not waste more posts with visa questions, I thought Id ask who has filled in the affidavit of support (via marriage)

Theres two things Im not too sure on as of yet?

Thank you

the wabbit
Old Oct 11th 2003, 11:00 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who has done DCF in London?

Originally posted by waxwabbit
Hi guys

Im getting a bit annoyed coz Im still not 100% what to do on my affidavit of support, and havent had many responses on the forums as of yet. So, as to not waste more posts with visa questions, I thought Id ask who has filled in the affidavit of support (via marriage)

Thank you

the wabbit
I have, last year. My wife lived in the UK with me for 8 years then we dcf when she got offered a job in the US.

Patrick
Old Oct 11th 2003, 11:08 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Id ask who has filled in the affidavit of support (via marriage)
We concluded our DCF through London in February 2003. I've just dug out our forms to see what we did. Neither of us had US income but we had assets over the 125%. For each of the asset types we were presenting in part 4E of our I-864, we showed a little sum of my wifes assets + my assets = total assets.

We submitted our bank statements etc along with the form and they were fine with it. As you take the I-864 with you to your interview they can ask you any questions in person.

As Patrick said on your "stuck on form" thread, as long as you can demonstrate that you're not going to be a financial burden you'll be fine. We found the interview to be straightforward.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 8:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DaveC
We concluded our DCF through London in February 2003. ....
We did, and had our interview in September 2001 (September 10th, to be precise )

My experience was the same as DaveC's. Do you still have other questions? ..... I thought that you'd already got full, indeed complete, answers on your other two threads on this topic.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 12th 2003 at 8:25 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 12:33 am
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

Thanks Dave, Patrick and Pulaski for replying,

Unfortunately, no Im not 100% sure on what to do.

Mainly two parts on the affidavit:

First: Part 4A :- should I put in the wage my US wife gets there? Remembering this is the *offer* she has received for when we return to the US? (We are both in the UK at present). Or do I leave it blank and fill in a seperate sheet? ( We will take the job offer letter obviously to the interview)

Secondly: Part 4E :- should i fill in our savings here, OR state them on a seperate sheet of paper, indicating the savings are in my name and not my wifes? (We will obviously take the statements to the interview also)

Forgive me if I seem a little pedantic , but when it comes to red tape and visas I take no chances.

I was wondering as well, will the interviewees take more notice of the figures given on the tax returns we bring (Part 4C), or on the future job offer and bank statements?

Many thanks

Lee

ps - now Im really wishing Id listened to wabbit senior, and bought a house instead of burrowing a burrow. Alas, our burrow isnt worth much
Old Oct 13th 2003, 1:01 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

They are only interested in your wifes last three years tax returns and your assets, if these do not meet the 125% then you need a sponsor. Thats it.

You can take your wifes offer letter to the interview and that will be taken into account but they are not interested in that on the AOS.

As far as your savings are concerned - put them on there as assets, if it troubles you that it is only in your name add her onto the account now or move them to joint account. Just the fact that the statement you show them is going to your address and you both live there as husband and wife is sufficient that its your assets.

As long as either by your wifes AOS or + a sponsor you are over 125% income you are fine.

Please don't over worry about the interview, they are not trying to stop you entering the USA just making sure all your paperwork is in order to do so.

Good Luck and God Bless

Patrick

Thanks Dave, Patrick and Pulaski for replying,

Unfortunately, no Im not 100% sure on what to do.

Mainly two parts on the affidavit:

First: Part 4A :- should I put in the wage my US wife gets there? Remembering this is the *offer* she has received for when we return to the US? (We are both in the UK at present). Or do I leave it blank and fill in a seperate sheet? ( We will take the job offer letter obviously to the interview)

Secondly: Part 4E :- should i fill in our savings here, OR state them on a seperate sheet of paper, indicating the savings are in my name and not my wifes? (We will obviously take the statements to the interview also)

Forgive me if I seem a little pedantic , but when it comes to red tape and visas I take no chances.

I was wondering as well, will the interviewees take more notice of the figures given on the tax returns we bring (Part 4C), or on the future job offer and bank statements?

Many thanks

Lee

ps - now Im really wishing Id listened to wabbit senior, and bought a house instead of burrowing a burrow. Alas, our burrow isnt worth much
Old Oct 13th 2003, 1:35 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

Thank you

the wabbit

One reason that you may not be getting responses to your posts on the visa forums here on British Expats is the answers may already be on existing threads. i.e. people have asked the same question.

So, it's probably worthwhile searching through the US Marriage Based Visas forums for your answers.

BTW, my husband and I did DCF on 2001. I had my interview on 20 September, 2001.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 14th 2003, 12:23 pm
Wabbit Lord

Thanks for everyones replies,

I think Ive seen enough to go what with Patrick has said as for the two parts of the affidavit....it makes sense, I was just wondering if anyone had the same uncertaintanty when it came to those two parts of the affidavit, considering my wife is in the UK and hasnt been earning in the US.

As for the lack of many replies.......well I tried searching past posts, and could only find general replies that were not specific to my queries, and even posted my own threads but got little feedback, and what I did get was too vague.

Anyway, I shall persevere

and thanks again

Lee
Old Oct 14th 2003, 1:59 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Thanks for everyones replies,

I think Ive seen enough to go what with Patrick has said as for the two parts of the affidavit....it makes sense, I was just wondering if anyone had the same uncertaintanty when it came to those two parts of the affidavit, considering my wife is in the UK and hasnt been earning in the US.

As for the lack of many replies.......well I tried searching past posts, and could only find general replies that were not specific to my queries, and even posted my own threads but got little feedback, and what I did get was too vague.

Anyway, I shall persevere

and thanks again

Lee
You can email the US Embassy staff at London. They were very helpful with mine earlier this year although they take a few days to answer but if you ask a specific question you usally geta specific answer.

Can't help much on the I-864 as i was co sponsored by my father in law as my wife was a student for the last few years and had no income.

good luck,

regards,

Duncan
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:46 pm
Wabbit Lord

Hi Duncan

I was thinking also of emailing the embassy direct, but couldnt find their email addie. Do you have it?

Cheers

Lee
Old Oct 14th 2003, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

BritSteve99 is an unknown quantity at this point

We had the same doubts when going through the process back in 1998. To try and make sure that we had everything covered, my MIL filled in all the sponsorship forms and supplied the necessary documentation in case we needed it.

As it turned out, the savings and potential job offers were not enough and we had to pull out the sponsorship details and use them as well. It was well worth having them in reserve in case there was a problem!

So if you can have a sponsor as a backup, then I would arrange it. It shouldn't be a problem for the sponsor, as long as you stay off public assistance in the US, and you apply for citizenship as soon as you can, which will free the sponsor from any claims from the US authorities.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 4:24 pm
Pagan Sex God

Hi Duncan

I was thinking also of emailing the embassy direct, but couldnt find their email addie. Do you have it?

Cheers

Lee
You can email them via their website, I don't know the email address itself

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/moreinfo.htm

Patrick
Old Oct 14th 2003, 4:52 pm
Wabbit Lord

Cheers Patrick

Ive emailed them, just to see what they say about the 2 parts on the Affidavit Im unsure on.

Im beginning to wonder now if I should get an additional sponser just in case as suggested?

Ive been looking at my wifes tax returns and am not sure what to think. What do u think?

2002 - earned $12641.50 (3 months in UK)
2001 - earned $ 7218.74 (6 months in UK)
2000 - earned $11416.41 (part time)

We have some $38000 saved, in 2 weeks time it will be just over $40,000. We sent off the checklist this week, so am not certain when the interview will be - but depending on this, we could have more money saved.

My wife has been offered her old job at about $19000 per annum, and we shall have that letter in writing by the time of the interview.

My wife thinks we should play safe and contact her family to act as co-sponsers, whereas I think we are fine.

What do ya think?

Lee

(I shall post this on marriage forum, see what i get)
Old Oct 14th 2003, 5:12 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

I would say yes and get a co-sponser Lee.

Quickie story about me + the wife:
1st attempt (this is before I found this website)
We had saving of £23.000
Wife sponsored me.
Just the wife, no-one else.
We got turned away - need a co-sponsor.

Second attempt with co-sponsor succesful.
It didn't seem to matter to the U.S Embassy that we had enough saving to ensure that we didn't have to claim social security.
What clinched it for us was having a co-sponser.

With the job offer and more saving than us, you may have enough to convince them, but if I were in your position and had the opportunity to get a co-sponser as well I would.
This is just my opinion. Others may say you are alright.

Webbie.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 3:20 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Cheers Patrick

Ive emailed them, just to see what they say about the 2 parts on the Affidavit Im unsure on.

Im beginning to wonder now if I should get an additional sponser just in case as suggested?

Ive been looking at my wifes tax returns and am not sure what to think. What do u think?

2002 - earned $12641.50 (3 months in UK)
2001 - earned $ 7218.74 (6 months in UK)
2000 - earned $11416.41 (part time)

We have some $38000 saved, in 2 weeks time it will be just over $40,000. We sent off the checklist this week, so am not certain when the interview will be - but depending on this, we could have more money saved.

My wife has been offered her old job at about $19000 per annum, and we shall have that letter in writing by the time of the interview.

My wife thinks we should play safe and contact her family to act as co-sponsers, whereas I think we are fine.

What do ya think?

Lee

(I shall post this on marriage forum, see what i get)
I think you are probably borderline. As i understood it you need to show income for the last three years which is above the poverty line on the scale they give out which for a two person family is around $13,000 per annum or if you cant do that you need cash savings or assets of 5x poverty line figure so around $65,000. Which you dont seem to have. I would think that you might get refused on these figures so if you can get a co sponsor who has a much higher income figure then best to do it.

Assuming you are married to a USC then in less than 3 years after entry(3 years less 90 days application period) you can apply to naturalise and become a USC yourself without losing your British citizenship and that would lift the burden from your sponsor.

regards,

Duncan