Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where's home?

Where's home?

Old Mar 22nd 2012, 4:23 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where's home?

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Yep, good guess!

That could be an idea (finding another landlord) We are going to re-visit the idea to sell after Jay gets home, the current renters are buying smaller house in same town Unfortunately, it's up for rental again in June and don't want it sitting empty. It's in a great area for military coming to the base there, we have been lucky so far and not had any time without a renter, could be just as easy holding onto it for a couple more years, rent money pays the expenses.
In a high-traffic area near a military base, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding renters to fill it.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
In a high-traffic area near a military base, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding renters to fill it.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

choppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to all

Been living in NY for 12 years now and owned our house for 7. Home will always be Norn Ireland.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:53 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by nethead
We moved to VT (but work in NY)
That's a heck of a commute!

For me, it was a big deal when I reached the point where I had lived in America longer than England. That still seems weird to me.

After almost 36 years here, I always say America is my home, but England is my heritage.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I'm in the confused camp too. Not certain where "home" is.

The husband & I are duals, both born in America but haven't lived here in the States for decades. We've been back here now 6 months & it still doesn't feel at ALL like what I remember. Everything's very different. This isn't home, it's another foreign country.

We've got one child nicely settled in London & one nicely settled here in the US. "Home-wise" we're split down the middle, I think.
That's where I am. Well I'm the American, hubs is the Brit and we lived in the UK for 5+ years before we moved back here to the States. We didn't move back to California (where I'm from) but to Washington (South of Seattle.) He loves it here, and it has worked out well for him with regards to employment, certainly better than when his employment in the UK (not the same for holiday time, of course) But I'm still unsettled and it doesn't help that I have a daughter that lives in the UK (with grandkids) and we have a child here. I can also fully understand your sentiment that the US is quite different, as well.

We've been back for 8 years now and I keep thinking I'll like it better, but it hasn't worked out that way. We were in the UK this past summer and even though that's where part of my heart is (daughter and grandkids) I know that's not home either....
Old Apr 21st 2012, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Primula
That's a heck of a commute!

For me, it was a big deal when I reached the point where I had lived in America longer than England. That still seems weird to me.

After almost 36 years here, I always say America is my home, but England is my heritage.
Although I have only been here 5 years, this is my sentiment also. Since the moment I landed the U.S. has honestly always felt like home and now that my EAD is hand and my GC interview is scheduled, the feeling of home is only growing stronger.

When I visited the UK back in 2009 with my now wife, I couldn't wait to return home. Don't get me wrong I missed my mom & dad, but even the house that I grew up in no longer felt somewhere I truly belonged and the streets, neighbors, pubs etc didn't hold that familiar feeling. Heck, even my home town rugby club no longer played at the stadium that I grew up going to. I can't shake the feeling that it wasn't a place a could recognize anymore.

So like you, England will always be apart of me, I will always identify myself as English and I am proud of where I came from, but America-- or at least Colorado will always be home to be me.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 12:29 am
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Leyther
my EAD is hand and my GC interview is scheduled.
What is an EAD and a GC?

The first time I returned to England was 13 years after I had left so it was a long time away. Since that first visit back I have pretty much felt like a stranger there. So many things had changed. The GPO had changed to BT, there were one pound coins, some of the currency I had held onto no longer existed, lots of stuff like that.

I think the saddest thing for me has been that I have not been any part of my younger siblings' lives. I've barely met their children, I haven't even met some of their new partners, that kind of stuff.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 2:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Primula
What is an EAD and a GC?
Employment Authorisation Document and Greencard.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 2:34 am
Banned

^Gotcha, thanks.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Home is where the heart is, my husband and children are here we are happy and healthy. We could be just as happy in the UK. If I were single and childless I think I would probably return to the UK.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 7:48 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Home is where the heart is, my husband and children are here we are happy and healthy. We could be just as happy in the UK. If I were single and childless I think I would probably return to the UK.
Just curious, are you saying the US may be preferred for couples with children. Not trying to start a UK vs US fight here. Just reading part 2.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Just curious, are you saying the US may be preferred for couples with children. Not trying to start a UK vs US fight here. Just reading part 2.
Nope I am saying that I happy here mostly inpart because I am here with the people that mean the most to me in this world, my husband and children. I guess what I am saying, for me personally, if I had my husband and children with me I could/ would be just as happy in the UK.

It is six and two three's, swings and round-abouts to be... there is good and bad in both countries.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 8:01 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Nope I am saying that I happy here mostly inpart because I am here with the people that mean the most to me in this world, my husband and children. I guess what I am saying, for me personally, if I had my husband and children with me I could/ would be just as happy in the UK.

It is six and two three's, swings and round-abouts to be... there is good and bad in both countries.
Glad to hear it.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britmom3
Sheffield will always be home for me but when I return I feel like an outsider? ... Sad to say but soon I will have lived here in the USA longer than I did in Sheffield
As I was a student at Leeds uni I got to know Sheffield city centre quite well as we used to go there from time for a good night out - amazingly vibrant nightlife there but what I really loved about the city was its amazing tram system - I could have ridden them all day and as Sheffield is a very hilly city the views from the trams were fantastic....great shopping centre as well. Leeds was great but Sheffield had the edge over it for a good night out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7jsT...eature=related
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 8:28 pm
Banned

It is six and two three's.
I've never heard that expression before. (I like it.) I always say six of one, half-a-dozen of another.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.