British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Where's home? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/wheres-home-752194/)

Bink Mar 20th 2012 2:36 pm

Where's home?

I had a strange feeling the other day when I suddenly realised that America was 'home' to me and no longer the UK. I still love the UK, don't get me wrong but my wife and son are American and I consider Houston 'home' now.

It's many things for me - the lifestyle here suits me better. I like to be up early and home at a reasonable time - I felt I was fighting the tide in the UK on this and inevitably would go in early and end up coming home late anyway - that doesn't happen here. I think it also has a lot to do with the fact that I really get on with my father-in-law and since I lost my Dad 7.5 years ago, it's great to have someone who I can just call up or hang out with - I'm very lucky in that respect. My only regret is that my Mum lives on her own in the UK and as she gets older it may get more difficult.

Anyway, it struck a chord with me so I thought I'd ask if anyone else considers the US home after moving here or still thinks of good ol' blighty as home?

SultanOfSwing Mar 20th 2012 2:46 pm

Re: Where's home?

Originally Posted by Bink (Post 9962931)
I had a strange feeling the other day when I suddenly realised that America was 'home' to me and no longer the UK. I still love the UK, don't get me wrong but my wife and son are American and I consider Houston 'home' now.

It's many things for me - the lifestyle here suits me better. I like to be up early and home at a reasonable time - I felt I was fighting the tide in the UK on this and inevitably would go in early and end up coming home late anyway - that doesn't happen here. I think it also has a lot to do with the fact that I really get on with my father-in-law and since I lost my Dad 7.5 years ago, it's great to have someone who I can just call up or hang out with - I'm very lucky in that respect. My only regret is that my Mum lives on her own in the UK and as she gets older it may get more difficult.

Anyway, it struck a chord with me so I thought I'd ask if anyone else considers the US home after moving here or still thinks of good ol' blighty as home?

No offense to the US, because it's really quite all right and all that but it's just where I live. The UK is still 'home' and will probably remain so but that's just me. Mileage tends to vary in such cases.

markwm Mar 20th 2012 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bink (Post 9962931)

I see this as home because, right now, it's where I live. I will always have an affinity to the UK but prefer it here at the moment.

SarahG Mar 20th 2012 3:01 pm

My home is here in SC with my husband and kids. I have not lived in my city of birth for 17 years nor do I want to return to it, except perhaps for visits.

Before moving back to the US, I spent 14 years in England and I had no family (besides husband & kids) there so it is exactly the same as it is now. My Scottish family rarely visited me in England and it is the same as it is now.

Mr Weeze Mar 20th 2012 3:03 pm

My house and life is here, right now. My home, in my head, is North East England. I haven't lived there since 2001.

Uncle Ebenezer Mar 20th 2012 3:07 pm

Home is here, in Texas. I have no intention of ever moving back to the UK and I'm not sure I'll even go back for visits, now my parents are gone.

I prefer the lifestyle, the weather, the people and my grandkids are here.

I still celebrate my "Britishness", but that's more the country I grew up in, not the place it has become - I remember a time when Britain deserved the prefix "Great".

Jerseygirl Mar 20th 2012 3:13 pm

We own a house in the US...but our home will always be England.

SultanOfSwing Mar 20th 2012 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 9963001)
Home is here, in Texas. I have no intention of ever moving back to the UK and I'm not sure I'll even go back for visits, now my parents are gone.

I prefer the lifestyle, the weather, the people and my grandkids are here.

I still celebrate my "Britishness", but that's more the country I grew up in, not the place it has become - I remember a time when Britain deserved the prefix "Great".

Bit of a tangent, but vaguely related to the thread, would you consider moving to another state and would that then be 'home' or would it always be Texas for you?

I've wondered lately if we were ever able to try out a different state, would I change my mind, or would I still always consider Carrick to be 'home'. I think I always would but I'd be willing to bet there are a good few states I'd enjoy more than Illinois at the same time :lol:

kimilseung Mar 20th 2012 3:41 pm

It has been 30 years since I lived in Liverpool (close by a few times, within that time, but not in the city) It has taken the role of a mythical homeland rather than a real home. I do not imagine I will ever live there again. I think my home is where my family are.

Sally Redux Mar 20th 2012 3:57 pm

Home is England for me, after 7 years here I don't think that will change.

Uncle Ebenezer Mar 20th 2012 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9963072)
Bit of a tangent, but vaguely related to the thread, would you consider moving to another state and would that then be 'home' or would it always be Texas for you?

I've wondered lately if we were ever able to try out a different state, would I change my mind, or would I still always consider Carrick to be 'home'. I think I always would but I'd be willing to bet there are a good few states I'd enjoy more than Illinois at the same time :lol:

We've spoken about that. The only way either of us can see moving to another state, is if we afford to fly to where the grandkids are (or fly them to us) at least once a month. Family is what it's all about.

SultanOfSwing Mar 20th 2012 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 9963167)
We've spoken about that. The only way either of us can see moving to another state, is if we afford to fly to where the grandkids are (or fly them to us) at least once a month. Family is what it's all about.

I can fully understand you wishing to remain where you are to be near them and at any rate, if you're happy where you are there's really no need to move anyway.

Given that grandchildren are (hopefully - at least for our son's sake) a good ten/fifteen years hence for us, that isn't a factor that we have to consider. If I was to move, I would, of course, be bringing my family with me. Given that I honestly have no strong connections to my in-laws, other than the practicalities of having a mortgage we still have 27 years left on and all the rest (not insurmountable, we can rent it and make a mint in our area), the only limiting factor is how my wife feels about leaving her relatives. I think since she's been essentially on her own since she was eighteen that it isn't really an issue.

Just thinking out loud again, we've often thought it might be nice to live elsewhere, and she's even warming up to the idea of trying the other side of the pond again, so who knows what's to come :lol:

Nutmegger Mar 20th 2012 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9963072)
I've wondered lately if we were ever able to try out a different state, would I change my mind, or would I still always consider Carrick to be 'home'.

In terms of my US self, I will always think of myself as a New Yorker, although I have now lived in CT for over 25 years!

SultanOfSwing Mar 20th 2012 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 9963187)
In terms of my US self, I will always think of myself as a New Yorker, although I have now lived in CT for over 25 years!

My US self has yet to live in a town he finds a strong connection to. Again, that isn't a reflection on the towns themselves, more my inability to adapt well to change :D

The one we're in is probably the most suited to me, actually - it has a defined town centre, well set up for walking, close to water, though not the sea, as I'm not a boater but I love a sea breeze ... Can't get used to the flatness of IL though - I need hills (and not those little kettle moraine things, they're pretty and all but hardly the Plateau of Antrim or the Mournes :lol:)

Uncle Ebenezer Mar 20th 2012 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9963183)
I can fully understand you wishing to remain where you are to be near them and at any rate, if you're happy where you are there's really no need to move anyway.

Given that grandchildren are (hopefully - at least for our son's sake) a good ten/fifteen years hence for us, that isn't a factor that we have to consider. If I was to move, I would, of course, be bringing my family with me. Given that I honestly have no strong connections to my in-laws, other than the practicalities of having a mortgage we still have 27 years left on and all the rest (not insurmountable, we can rent it and make a mint in our area), the only limiting factor is how my wife feels about leaving her relatives. I think since she's been essentially on her own since she was eighteen that it isn't really an issue.

Just thinking out loud again, we've often thought it might be nice to live elsewhere, and she's even warming up to the idea of trying the other side of the pond again, so who knows what's to come :lol:

As long as you're together and happy - anyway, you're still young and things will, inevitably, change.