Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where are you now?

View Poll Results: Where in the US do you reside?
North East
13.58%
Mid Atlantic, Exc NY
9.88%
NY
2.47%
The South, exc FL
28.40%
FL
7.41%
Midwest
17.28%
Southwest
7.41%
West, exc CA
3.70%
CA
9.88%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Where are you now?

Old Jun 19th 2005, 6:20 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where are you now?

Originally Posted by Chandler
fair point.

Seems like the South is running away with it (and that's without FL's help!). Do we have lots of Expat Pat Christians loving it up in the bible belt?

Stop and think, when you look at the USA brochures in the travel agents' on the High Street, they showcase Florida, California, NYC, Vegas and possibly DC or Boston and New Orleans-maybe the Grand Canyon or Arizona and Colorado-but Podunk Georgia, East Cupcake,Wyoming,and West Cupcake Missouri aren't much advertised.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:20 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Stop and think, when you look at the USA brochures in the travel agents' on the High Street, they showcase Florida, California, NYC, Vegas and possibly DC or Boston and New Orleans-maybe the Grand Canyon or Arizona and Colorado-but Podunk Georgia, East Cupcake,Wyoming,and West Cupcake Missouri aren't much advertised.
What's your point - People walk into Lunn Poly, pick up a brochure, and then emigrate?
Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:32 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
The Virginia state capital, Richmond, was the capital of the Confederacy, and having lived in Richmond for a few years now, I understand now why people consider it a Southern state. However, I grew up in Northern Virginian part of the DC Metro area, and that is definitely considered mid-Atlantic, NOT Southern. So I selected mid-Atlantic, and didn't realize Virginia was listed as a Southern state until after the fact.

This poll is misleading.

~ Jenney
You are right about the poll being misleading, but you are wrong about where you live.

The Governments lists all Virgina as The South so whilst the poll is misleading, it is only misleading in the sense that it allows to incorrectly 'upgraded' to mid-atlantic. I'm afraid yawl a southerner

http://usa.usembassy.de/travel-regions.htm
Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Just like Florida being called east coast but North Carolina called the south.

I have to admit to being astounded that CA is in the "West" and not considered South West like it's near neighbour AZ.

I presume this is due to the Americans disinterest in geography
Old Jun 19th 2005, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

The South shall rise again!. Or at least it is in this poll.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:05 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

What's your point - People walk into Lunn Poly, pick up a brochure, and then emigrate?

My point is that large areas of the US are ignored by the majority of Europeans because it is not marketed, it's a big unknown. It's like me saying I've been to England because I've been to London, period...........
Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:30 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Ha ha ha!

Living in northern New Jersey, (18 miles west as the crow flies from lower Manhatten) I assumed I was living in the North East....but then I read your post and it seems that I live in the 'mid-Atlantic'....LOL!

I've clicked your poll for the wrong area....and I bet I won't be the only one

I live in pennsylvania and clicked north east aswell, oops! I thought the mid atlantic was Ohio and stuff oh well!
Old Jun 20th 2005, 11:19 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
Hee hee! Looks like it! Well I am off now to sit on my porch, drink some sweet tea and read my bible while chewing on some tobacco!
Well bugger me, it seems like you arent alone.

The South is running at 40% (out of six regions) and even without the help of FL it is still registering one in three votes.

I must have missed all those brochures extolling the virtues of Kentucky in my Lunn Poly :scared:
Old Jun 21st 2005, 12:07 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

My point is that large areas of the US are ignored by the majority of Europeans because it is not marketed, it's a big unknown.
You mean like anything North of the Watford Gap or outside of the Cotswold's?

It's like me saying I've been to England because I've been to London, period...........
If you went to London then you would have been to England.

But maybe if you went to England you would not have necessarily been to London.

?????

Last edited by CaliforniaBride; Jun 21st 2005 at 12:11 am.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:41 am
Sursum corda

[QUOTE=CaliforniaBride]You mean like anything North of the Watford Gap or outside of the Cotswold's?

Exactly!!!!

If you went to London then you would have been to England.
Yes, but it would be ignorant to say well, there, I've seen everything to see in England because I've been to London.

But maybe if you went to England you would not have necessarily been to London.
Ah, but you see we have the same brochures in reverse here in the US, .
Old Jun 21st 2005, 2:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

North east is looking a bit empty...and I thought new england would have more push from the holiday market with boston....hmmm...
Old Jun 21st 2005, 5:01 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

The Governments lists all Virgina as The South so whilst the poll is misleading, it is only misleading in the sense that it allows to incorrectly 'upgraded' to mid-atlantic.
But this ignores the regional aspects which may come into play when one is identifying themselves as living in a particular region.

Someone who lives in the DC Metro area -- whether they live in DC proper, in the Maryland suburbs or Virginia suburbs -- would consider themselves as living in the mid-Atlantic region, NOT the South. In fact, most other non-Northern Virginians do not consider NoVA as a "real" part of Virginia, anyway, but rather an extension of DC.

Also, most people I know do not consider Florida part of "The South", even though it has a more southern location geographically than other states more associated as being part of "The South" like Georgia or Alabama. (I see this poll sets Florida apart as a separate category, reflecting this reality.)

And technically, the MOST southern state is Hawaii, but I doubt anyone in Hawaii (or anyone else, for that matter) considers Hawaii part of "The South" or even the "South West", for that matter.

~ Jenney
Old Jun 21st 2005, 7:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

And technically, the MOST southern state is Hawaii, but I doubt anyone in Hawaii (or anyone else, for that matter) considers Hawaii part of "The South" or even the "South West", for that matter.
only until the US fully conquers Cuba
Old Jun 21st 2005, 8:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

But this ignores the regional aspects which may come into play when one is identifying themselves as living in a particular region.

Someone who lives in the DC Metro area -- whether they live in DC proper, in the Maryland suburbs or Virginia suburbs -- would consider themselves as living in the mid-Atlantic region, NOT the South. In fact, most other non-Northern Virginians do not consider NoVA as a "real" part of Virginia, anyway, but rather an extension of DC.

Also, most people I know do not consider Florida part of "The South", even though it has a more southern location geographically than other states more associated as being part of "The South" like Georgia or Alabama. (I see this poll sets Florida apart as a separate category, reflecting this reality.)

~ Jenney
Yeah, I know. I'm still waiting for the apology for "Americans disinterest in geography".
Maybe he thinks Hawaii is the real West-- will someone please call John Wayne?
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:08 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yeah, I know. I'm still waiting for the apology for "Americans disinterest in geography".
Maybe he thinks Hawaii is the real West-- will someone please call John Wayne?
Apology.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.