Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where would you go?

Where would you go?

Old Oct 31st 2005, 12:58 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where would you go?

Number one city is Chicago, of course I'd love to visit Hawaii and the Florida Keys and the Alamo. Flying over NY and Las Vegas at night is pretty cool. The weirdest side trip I ever took was the Former California State mental hospital in Camarillo, my SIL lives just down the road, so we took a liitle ride out, as one of my Jazz heroes Charlie Parker was banged up there for a while, it's actually a nice place to be a resident loony, lovely views
Old Oct 31st 2005, 3:16 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Top UK spots: London, Glasgow, Isle of Skye

Hono(u)rable Mention: Manchester, Edinburgh, Bourton-on-the-Water (Cotswolds), Derry and a great country pub outside of Huddersfield (if only I could remember the name…)

Feel free to mock me, I don’t care: Liverpool (Yes, I like the place. Really.)

Overrated: Bath, Stratford-upon-Avon, Salisbury

Still need to see: York, Wales, Lake District, Bristol, Leeds

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Cant wait for :Yosemite next year and Santa Barbara (next week I think )
In Santa Barbara, don't miss La Super Rica on Milpas, an excellent Mexican spot with original cooking, including homemade tortillas and horchata. The setting is low-rent and the prices modest, but Julia Child and food critics have all loved this place, and for good reason. If you don't mind the lack of ambience, this is definitely worth a lunch stop.

If the weather is good on a weekend afternoon, consider a visit to Cold Springs Tavern, located in the hills north of town just off of CA 154. It’s a good place to swill beer outdoors with aging hippies, bikers, rednecks and the occasional yuppie, accompanied by good BBQ tri-tip and live music. (Tom Ball and Kenny Sultan, an acoustic blues duo that are a Santa Barbara institution, often play there.) There are a couple of decent beers available, so thankfully, there is no need to drink Bud.

Again, with good weather, you can enjoy the sunset at Longboards, a bar on Stearn’s Wharf that has an upper outdoor deck. The food is nothing special, but the view is good and it’s not a bad place to spend an hour or two before heading out for the evening. (But DO NOT eat at the adjacent Harbor Restaurant – awful food, horribly overpriced, the place would have shut long ago were it not for the views.)
Old Oct 31st 2005, 8:15 am
Thems the Vagaries

LuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond repute

Places been in USA
1) Maine-The place i live and stunning views. Trees in the fall, the coastline, and the people.
2)new york-First place i ever visisted in the USA, back in 1988 when the twin towers were still there.
Florida-Did the touristy stuff at the funparks, another must do.
3)Ohio-Thought Cleaveland was great to see, especially the freestamp. Hated the rock and roll hall of fame, great opn the outside, sucks on the inside.

Want to see the grand canyon, mt rushmore, yosemite, etc etc.So much scenery, so many cities.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 10:48 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

As a USC I am sadly lacking in having visited anything west of Texas with the exception of Hawaii. Would like to do that-some of which would be nice in an RV. I would like to do an Alaskan cruise.

UK-want to go to Scotland. Haven't done East Anglia yet.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by cindyabs
As a USC I am sadly lacking in having visited anything west of Texas with the exception of Hawaii. Would like to do that-some of which would be nice in an RV. I would like to do an Alaskan cruise.

UK-want to go to Scotland. Haven't done East Anglia yet.
East Anglia.....Imagine Iowa with hedgerows!!
Old Oct 31st 2005, 12:40 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
East Anglia.....Imagine Iowa with hedgerows!!

Well that one for me would be actually checking out ancestral roots-Norfolk, Sussex, Suffolk.
I would like to see a bit more of Yorkshire too.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Spent a lot of time in San Fran about 10 years ago, love it there have lots of great memories of it and it's where my daughter was conceived
Also like Yosemite, Tahoe, Smithsonian and tourist sites in DC, Niagra Falls.
Would love to see, NYC, Boston, Chicago, Memphis, Grand Canyon, Austin, New England to name but a few.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 1:28 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Been to (thats worth noting) - San Juan mountains
Want to see - the rest of Colorado and all of the Rockies
Old Oct 31st 2005, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Top UK spots: London, Glasgow, Isle of Skye

Hono(u)rable Mention: Manchester, Edinburgh, Bourton-on-the-Water (Cotswolds), Derry and a great country pub outside of Huddersfield (if only I could remember the name…)

Feel free to mock me, I don’t care: Liverpool (Yes, I like the place. Really.)

Overrated: Bath, Stratford-upon-Avon, Salisbury

Still need to see: York, Wales, Lake District, Bristol, Leeds

)
You'd love Harrogate.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 2:20 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

1. We took an Amtrak train from downtown LA to Seattle one Christmas since we have no relatives here, great experience. We got a sleeper and woke up with views ranging from California mountains, Peugot sound, Mount Shasta and Klamath Falls, Oregon which was covered in snow like a Christmas card scene. On the way up the Amtrak crew was totally drunk and chaotically disorganized ( which was hilarious), on the way back it was very professional with the main crew member pointing out historical points and wine tasting. Great experience but not the fastest way to go ( 30 hours each way). Once we got there and saw Seattle, the views from Pike's Place market and the Space needle are breathtaking.
2. Central California Coast - Cambria, San Simeon( Hearst Castle), Paso Robles Vineyards , Monterrey, Carmel, 17 mile drive.
3. San Francisco, Napa Valley vinyards( again!!), Alcatraz - More of a European feel to S.F with it's condensed center and China town. Seeing the cells where Al capone and Robert Stroud( the birdman) were kept, reminded me of those James Cagney B & W gangster movies I loved as a kid.
4. Baja California,Mexico - Fishing on a clipper boat in Ensenada, eating fish tacos from roadside stands while you are drunk on Coronas and Tecate, seedy topless bars with chubby chicas and filthy toilets Good boys weekend away

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Oct 31st 2005 at 3:32 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 2:35 pm
Banned

Nia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really nice

The best places in the US I've visited so far so far were the Grand Canyon, Lake Tahoe, and New Orleans (GREAT food and music!)

My husband and I are going to Niagara for our first anniversary at the end of next month I can hardly wait!

The best places to go in the UK are North Wales (particularly Snowdonia National Park) Tower of London, York, and Lincoln Steep Hill.

I would love to visit the west coast again as I saw the grand canyon etc when I was little and would love to go again. I really want to visit NYC and New England too.

As for Britain I never got around to visiting Scotland and I would also like to visit Bath and the cotswolds.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 2:45 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I love the Cotswolds, I grew up there & will always love it. I wish I could go back for a visit, today is our 1 year anniversary of living here.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
You'd love Harrogate.
On a fast train with the blinds down!!
Old Oct 31st 2005, 3:29 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia
The best places in the US I've visited so far so far were the Grand Canyon, Lake Tahoe, and New Orleans (GREAT food and music!)

My husband and I are going to Niagara for our first anniversary at the end of next month I can hardly wait!

The best places to go in the UK are North Wales (particularly Snowdonia National Park) Tower of London, York, and Lincoln Steep Hill.

I would love to visit the west coast again as I saw the grand canyon etc when I was little and would love to go again. I really want to visit NYC and New England too.

As for Britain I never got around to visiting Scotland and I would also like to visit Bath and the cotswolds.

New England in the Fall-nothing like it, .
Old Oct 31st 2005, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
and a great country pub outside of Huddersfield (if only I could remember the name…)
Can you remember where it was ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.