Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where in the USA do you live?

Wikiposts

Where in the USA do you live?

Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:45 pm

Default Re: Where in the USA do you live?

Hi, what an interesting thread.
I was born in London, UK, then emigrated to Queensland, Australia in 1973,
living on the Gold Coast for a number of years. I met my "Yank" online 1st
in '98, he came to Oz in 2002 and then last year I visited Fort Lauderdale
which will be my home later this year.

So any support for K1 Sydney would be appreciated, (I'm waiting to hear from
them, after the petition was approved late December.
Cheers Juwellz

Old Jan 8th 2005, 4:20 pm
Are we there yet??

aussie_rachel is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Where in the USA do you live?

I am from Newcastle, NSW. Australia I moved here in 2001. My husband was born and raised on Long Island, NY- which is where we live now.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 5:17 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally Ireland, met online, wife visited Ireland twice and I also travelled twice to US, second visit ended up overstaying. Lived in St Louis first year in the US then moved back to SF bay area where my wife is originally from. Following moving to the Bay Area all our possessions were burned in an arson attack on the storage company where we had stored all our possessions.
Together 5 years now and very happy , been a long journey to get this far.
Interview next week

Patrick
Old Jan 9th 2005, 3:18 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Mark's history is easy...
Born in Billericay, Essex, UK in 1972
Moved to Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, UK in 1979
Moved to Richmond, VA, USA in May 2003 on his K1 visa and married me.

Mine's a bit more complicated...
Born in Ft Belvior, Virginia, USA in 1972
Albany, NY - moved there at age 3 weeks
West Point, NY - 1974-77
Heidleberg, West Germany - 1977-78
Dexheim, West Germany - 1978-80
Quantico, Virginia, USA - 1980-81
Lake Ridge, VA - 1981-86
Annandale, VA - 1986-95
Attended University of Richmond in Richmond, VA - 1991-95
San Jose, Costa Rica - summer 1993
Santiago, Chile - 1995-97
Fairfax, Virginia, USA - 1997-98
Centreville, VA - 1998-2000
All over New Zealand - winter 2000-01
Richmond, VA - 2001 to present

Whew!

~ Jenney
Old Jan 9th 2005, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

psychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I was born in Glasgow, Scotland but my family moved to Toronto, Ontario (or, more commonly, T.O., or even Toronto the Good) when I was 6 - which is where I grew up. I've lived for extended periods in both Windsor and Kingston, Ontario, and in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Sheila was born just outside Detroit, Michigan - and we both now live in northeast Kentucky!

Ian
What a coincidence! I was also born in Michigan (born in Detroit, lived in Taylor and then Inkster till I was 14) and the fam moved to Kentucky (where my father is from) in the late '70s. Though I've been in KY for nearly 27 years, I still say "I'm from Michigan" when people ask where I am from and am still asked at times "you're not from here, are you?" when I talk (though the southern accent is definitely there--it's daily battle for me). Have been living in southeastern KY for 16 years. DH was born in Surrey and was living in W. Yorkshire, near Bradford, before he moved here.

So Ian, are you a UK fan (The Institution obviously, not the country)? Hubby is. It's odd that though I've lived here since 1978, I've *never* owned one piece of clothing that's said "Kentucky", "UK" or the like, but he has several. I do have some U of M, Michigan and Michigan State shirts/sweatshirts though.

Dawn, a Big Blue--U of M--fan.
Old Jan 9th 2005, 4:37 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, now us! Ours will be easy.....we don't move around much!

Mr. Pink is from Aldershot, England and lived there for all of his 38 years, except for a several month stint in Amsterdam when he was 18. Spent his time there playing stand up bass in a band on the street for spare change. Ah, the wild life of youth! He then moved here in Feb. 2004 on his K1.

I was born in Rockford, Illinois (90 miles northwest of Chicago) and have lived here all my 40 years, except for a couple of years when I went to college out in the cornfields of DeKalb (mid-way between Rockford and Chicago). We live in a very small town on the edge of Rockford now but close enough to Chicago and Milwaukee to head in quickly (for things like AOS interviews or summer days with Jackie and Mark!)

~SecretGarden
Old Jan 9th 2005, 7:45 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psychobabbler1
What a coincidence! I was also born in Michigan (born in Detroit, lived in Taylor and then Inkster till I was 14) ...
Sheila was born in Wyandotte!

... "you're not from here, are you?" ...
That's how it is for me also. While Sheila's southern accent is now the norm, folks always say to me, "you're not from around here are you?". And I can't tell you how many have pegged me as Canadian when I say "out" and "about", although they swear I'm saying "oot" and "aboot" - which is odd because I'd never say "oot" or "aboot".

So Ian, are you a UK fan...
I wasn't when I got here, but I guess I am now! Sheila's kids both did their undergraduate work at UK, and Sheila's now working on her doctorate at UK. I guess we're a UK family! We watch all the games! Go Wildcats!

Ian
Old Jan 9th 2005, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Alicia&Driss is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All!
Driss was born in Morocco. And me, I was born in Kentucky. My dad played football many years ago for UK. Then we moved to Ohio, and now live in Tennessee.
Old Jan 9th 2005, 9:10 am
Just Joined

soldiersgirl is just really nicesoldiersgirl is just really nicesoldiersgirl is just really nicesoldiersgirl is just really nicesoldiersgirl is just really nicesoldiersgirl is just really nicesoldiersgirl is just really nicesoldiersgirl is just really nice
Smile Re: Where in the USA do you live?

I'm in South Florida and my fiance is from Scotland. He may come here for awhile but the plan is to ultimately live in Scotland.
Old Jan 9th 2005, 10:48 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Good job! It's nice to have these threads every so often

I was born in San Francisco and grew up in Northern California. My family moved to Spain when I was 8, and Halifax Nova Scotia after that. We eventually moved to Portland Oregon, and no matter how many times I leave, (Mexico, Belize, Greece, Bellingham) I always come back-- this is a beautiful part of the world.
DAH grew up in Southampton area of England, worked in London many years, traveled the world (except the Americas!) with the Royal Navy and baked on the beach in Greece for 8 years until I liberated him back to the rain in Oregon. He must be crazy, because he likes the clouds after 'so much sun'.
Old Jan 9th 2005, 11:11 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm originally from Ireland. I was transported to England as a baby and grew up in London. I lived all over London and moved to Spain a couple of years ago. Not a fav time in my life and I was plotting my escape to Canada to be nearer my USC boyfriend who lived in Cape Ann outside Boston. I have Canadian citizenship via my Canadian father so it seemed liked the perfect plan.

We changed course and decided to get married and here I am in white picket fence America.

I've met Karen D who used to post on here. We've become very good friends and spent quite a lot of time together with our spouses, work allowing. They are frequent visitors on our boat in summer and we have trips away with them when we can. They're great people and I'm very grateful to Expats for us meeting.

I've also met Whistlestop's inlaws. They live across from our marina and came over on their boat to say hi one day! The boat is named after me so it's easy to spot.

Last edited by sibsie; Jan 9th 2005 at 11:13 am.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 2:28 am
Ars01

Born and raised in Bathurst, New Brunswick, Canada. Lived in Kingston
and Toronto in Ontario, and Louisville, Kentucky. Now in Phoenix,
Arizona for the past 6 years.

Old Jan 11th 2005, 2:46 am
Joel

> Sadegh and I live in Phoenix, Arizona. I'm originally from Connecticut,
    > though, too. Sadegh is originally from Iran, but was living in Turkey
    > for the past 10 years before coming to the USA. We met in Turkey.

I live in Tucson! Want to make it 4 people in person? :-) We can meet at
Malee's Thai restaurant in Old Scottsdale.

My wife is from Philippines. I am originally from Michigan. I couldn't take
the hot and humid summers so where do I go to get married? Philippines!
Where it's hot and humid all year round.

Joel

Old Jan 11th 2005, 2:49 am
Joel

> I'm up for a meet at some point. Anyone else in Phoenix
    > Regards,
    > Berthman

I'm from Tucson. Are people from Tucson allowed in Phoenix? I've heard there
is a friendly? rivalry between the two cities. I've only been here a year
from Michigan.

Joel

Old Jan 11th 2005, 2:50 am
Joel

> I was born in Glasgow, Scotland but my family moved to Toronto, Ontario
    > (or, more commonly, T.O., or even Toronto the Good) when I was 6 - which
    > is where I grew up. I've lived for extended periods in both Windsor and
    > Kingston, Ontario, and in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Sheila was born just
    > outside Detroit, Michigan - and we both now live in northeast Kentucky!
    > Ian

Where in Detroit? I was born in Mount Clemens, lived in Pontiac for a while.

Joel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.