Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in New York?

Where to stay in New York?

Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

hepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant future
Default Where to stay in New York?

Hi.
I am new to the USA forum. We are visiting New York in April and wondered if anyone can recommend a good place to stay. Myself and hubby have been once before but that was without the kids. We are looking for somewhere reasonable and are not sure whether to go for an apartment. We have got a 12 year old boy and 16 year old daughter, we are going to do the tourist stuff but also like the off the beaten track New York. Greenwich?
Prefer to stay somewhere that is recommended.
Thanks loads
Hepburn
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:25 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to stay in New York?

Originally Posted by hepburn
Hi.
I am new to the USA forum. We are visiting New York in April and wondered if anyone can recommend a good place to stay. Myself and hubby have been once before but that was without the kids. We are looking for somewhere reasonable and are not sure whether to go for an apartment. We have got a 12 year old boy and 16 year old daughter, we are going to do the tourist stuff but also like the off the beaten track New York. Greenwich?
Thanks loads
Hepburn
How long are you staying for and what's your budget?

Also swear by this website:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g6...rk-Hotels.html

Last edited by tonrob; Jan 29th 2009 at 10:28 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

hepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant future

Hey
We are thinking of 4 nights, on the way back from Canada. Budget is a bit tight, probably looking at $100-$150 dollar night. Daughter has Waldorf on her mind but no chance!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:31 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Hey
We are thinking of 4 nights, on the way back from Canada. Budget is a bit tight, probably looking at $100-$150 dollar night. Daughter has Waldorf on her mind but no chance!
To be fair, you'll need to be very careful at that price point. Hotel prices in NYC are extremely elastic, with prices doubling and then halving again from one night to the next depending on demand, so it's difficult to generalize.

However there are some absolute dumps at the lower end of the price range, so do go to the Tripadvisor site I linked to where there are literally thousands of reviews for pretty much every hotel on Manhattan.

Transportation's great in Manhattan so I'd be driven more by hotel price/quality rather than specific neighbourhood - especially as budget matters.

Last edited by tonrob; Jan 29th 2009 at 10:36 pm. Reason: add more info
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, I will have a good search. We stayed at the Night Hotel on Times Square last time....spoilt us a bit, full of beautiful people, even the door man was gorgeous...we felt really ugly! Not taking the daughter there she wont come back! Anyways will look at that link...thanks
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:42 pm
Septic Sprout

Thanks for that, I will have a good search. We stayed at the Night Hotel on Times Square last time....spoilt us a bit, full of beautiful people, even the door man was gorgeous...we felt really ugly! Not taking the daughter there she wont come back! Anyways will look at that link...thanks
With some chains' websites it's also worth searching for the nights individually as well as in a 'block' of 4 nights. Booking nights separately can occasionally bring the cost down dramatically if the site is designed to deliver 'highest common denominator' rates when multiple nights are selected.

Also, once you've booked (and assuming you haven't paid up front for a non-refundable advance purchase rate) then keep checking the rates periodically, even up to the day of arrival if you can, as prices can drop if the hotel isn't filling as expected and you can re-book one or more nights at the lower rate and save yourself a bundle.

We go to NYC for long weekends 3 or 4 times a year and adopt these tactics every time and they yield savings on almost every trip.

Alternatively, give Priceline a whirl... but bargains over Easter might be scarce.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
To be fair, you'll need to be very careful at that price point. Hotel prices in NYC are extremely elastic, with prices doubling and then halving again from one night to the next depending on demand, so it's difficult to generalize.

However there are some absolute dumps at the lower end of the price range, so do go to the Tripadvisor site I linked to where there are literally thousands of reviews for pretty much every hotel on Manhattan.

Transportation's great in Manhattan so I'd be driven more by hotel price/quality rather than specific neighbourhood - especially as budget matters.
They may be lucky....there was a segment on our local news last night about how hotels prices in NYC have come down. Some $200 a night rooms are selling for around $120.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:52 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
They may be lucky....there was a segment on our local news last night about how hotels prices in NYC have come down. Some $200 a night rooms are selling for around $120.
Yes - they'll just need to check Tripadvisor to make sure it actually is a good hotel they're seeing at that price!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:17 pm
Septic Sprout

Hmmm... last-minute might be the way to go. There are some Marriott properties around the Times Square area going for $149 tonight. Checked the same site for a couple of weekends in April and everything in the $250-350 range.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:49 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Where to stay in New York?

Hi.
Thanks loads
Hepburn

You might want to check out the Embassy Suites hotel (walking distance to Battery Park for the ferries to the Statue of Liberty, Wall St, South Street Seaport etc.).

At the Embassy Suites you get two seperate rooms with 2 TVs, a cooked breakfast, nightly manager's reception with free drinks and canapes....there's also a multiplex cinema adjacent to the one in NYC. Might be worth checking out as most NY hotel rooms can be *very* small and the Embassy Suites offers 'specials' from time to time.

http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_...LHGOCSGBJF2VCQ

I know that a lot of international airline crews on 'downtime' stay at the Radio City apartments (with kitchenette) but you would need to see the reviews on Tripadvisor.

http://www.radiocityapts.com/

We've stayed at Club Quarters at the Rockefeller Center/Fifth Ave (they also have another CQ in Midtown and in the Financial district) and got excellent reduced rates as my spouses employer is a corporate member - send me a PM if you want the code as the special rates are open to friends and family at holidays and weekends.

http://www.clubquarters.com/MemberHome.aspx

Also try:

http://www.applecorehotels.com/

The Novotel (French chain) is in Times Square and has family-friendly rooms:

http://www.novotel.com/gb/hotel-0753...re/index.shtml

Have a wonderful time!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:45 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed at The Pod Hotel when we were there last July. Rooms are TINY, but funky - my friend and daughter stayed in a room with bunk beds - each had there own wee flat screen tv. Also docking station for ipod, rooftop garden for drinks in the evening. Got a reasonable rate - about $150 a night if I remember.

Reasonable location as well - about 52nd street and 2nd Avenue. On Tripadvisor it gets reasonable reviews.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Thank you so much everyone! When the hubby & kids get in later, we will all have a good look at the links, and a mooch around trip advisor.

I appreciate all the help, just want it to be nice for the kids. It's all the daughter talks about.

Thanks again, I will let you know where we end up!
Hepburn
Old Jan 30th 2009, 7:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much everyone! When the hubby & kids get in later, we will all have a good look at the links, and a mooch around trip advisor.

I appreciate all the help, just want it to be nice for the kids. It's all the daughter talks about.

Thanks again, I will let you know where we end up!
Hepburn
In that case you must take her down to Canal Street in China Town and hit the fake bag and jewellery shops. My sister went back with about $250,000 worth of fake stuff for her then 16 year old daughter...she spent about $200.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 7:41 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

In that case you must take her down to Canal Street in China Town and hit the fake bag and jewellery shops. My sister went back with about $250,000 worth of fake stuff for her then 16 year old daughter...she spent about $200.
sweet!!! thanks for the tip! I'm going in April
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Hey
Hilda Braithwates bed and breakfast 555.555. 0012.

Hey ! .... We live in New York ! .... You can kip down here for $150 a night. and we live on route from Montreal to NYC itself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.