Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in L.A.

Where to stay in L.A.

Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Briz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant future
Question Where to stay in L.A.

Hi Everyone,
My husband and I are travelling with Air NZ from London to Brisbane in June where L.A. is the stop-over. We thought we'd take advantage of being in that part of the world and stay for 2-3 nights.

Which is the best part to stay? We're in our 20's-30's so like a good bar and restaurant. We also want to see all the popular sites like Sunset Bvld, Venice Beach, Rodeo Drive, Hollywood sign etc.

We don't want to spend too much on a hotel and we're not overly fussy. Just want to stay in a nice part of town that is close to the sights/transport!

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:05 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to stay in L.A.

Would suggest you rent a car for the 2 or 3 days, otherwise you won't be going far at all! Public transport is not an option in the US unless you have superior self-defence skills and no sense of smell.

Personally, I like the Redondo Beach area for airport stopovers: just south of LAX on the PCH, reasonable prices.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:07 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Where to stay in L.A.

Los Angeles is such a sprawling place it's difficult to advise - it all depends on what your main criteria is. The last time we stayed in LA a few years ago (with our children) we stayed in two places; the Buena Vista vicinity (Embassy Suites hotel - not as plush/upscale as most of the Embassy Suites hotels unless it's been upgraded recently) for the theme parks and the Holocaust Museum, then we stayed in an hotel in Santa Monica (can't remember which one!).

Your best bet is to check out my favourite website for choosing hotels; http://www.tripadvisor.com

The Los Angeles info is here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g...Vacations.html

(You can choose hotels by budget then look at the comments from recent guests....yes, warts and all. Top Tip: always look at the hotel's own websites for special offers which are often better than booking via a third party. Often if you book with companies like Expedia.com, Travelocity, Priceline etc. you are committed to that hotel with no refunds, even if your plans change. If you book directly with the hotel you can often cancel until approx 4pm on the same day you're due to check in without penalty...I've also heard that often people who have booked with those kinds of online booking agents get the least desirable rooms in the hotel, but I don't know if this is true or not).
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:36 am
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

Public transport in LA is a nightmare. It works (kind of) by LA is far too big to travel across via bus.

Santa Monica is a great place to stay. It's full of bars, restaurants, and great shops in addition to being right on the boardwalk. Venice Beach is 10 mins walk down the beach whilst Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive and the world class Guggenheim museum are all easily reached with a short bus ride.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:17 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Briz-chick
Hi Everyone,
My husband and I are travelling with Air NZ from London to Brisbane in June where L.A. is the stop-over. We thought we'd take advantage of being in that part of the world and stay for 2-3 nights.

Which is the best part to stay? We're in our 20's-30's so like a good bar and restaurant. We also want to see all the popular sites like Sunset Bvld, Venice Beach, Rodeo Drive, Hollywood sign etc.

We don't want to spend too much on a hotel and we're not overly fussy. Just want to stay in a nice part of town that is close to the sights/transport!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

How much money is not too much ? if moneys no option stay at the Mondrian on Sunset. Hire a car and you are within 20 mins of all the places you listed
Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:42 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

I would stay in Santa Monica and agree with others if you can rent a car do (but if you can't then Santa Monica is a good base and your hotel should be able to help with some kind of daily bus tours, bike rentals to Venice Beach etc ).

I would take a day to just drive & explore. From a base of Santa Monica (right on the Pacific Coast Highway) hit the John Paul Getty Museum then drive through Topanga Canyon & Mullholland Drive, down Benedict Canyon.Hit Bel Air/Beverley Hills, valet park on Rodeo Drive & walk around, do real shopping on Melrose Ave then head to Hollywood. Drive along Sunset Blvd (sunset strip) stop to eat, then Hollywood Blvd, Manns Chinese Theatre & stars on the pavement.Up to the Hollywood sign close up (drive up Beachwood Drive north of Hollywood Boulevard into the hills) or go to Griffith Park Observatory & see the sign from there.

At night plenty of bars/pubs/restaurants on Main Street Santa Monica so you can ditch the car and drink!

The 'Portrait Los Angeles' maps are fool proof -they are sort of picture maps that show you all the landmarks.....pick 'em up at the airport info desk or any tourist shop.

Very jealous!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Briz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant future

Thank you for your help everyone. Santa Monica sounds great, and close to all the places we'd like to see, so I'll try to find a hotel there!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:46 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your help everyone. Santa Monica sounds great, and close to all the places we'd like to see, so I'll try to find a hotel there!
I live in Santa Monica, what's your budget?
Old Apr 20th 2005, 12:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tomelina
you can always find "room" for a lady huh

Briz when you're here go in the Kings Head and tell em Tom sent you - you will get a great reception - honest
Old Apr 20th 2005, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

$100 per night is all we can afford really, less is better - well, to be truthful, we can't afford to go full stop (period!), but didn't want to miss the chance of being in LA!

What we'd like is cheapest place that's not a dump. Also somewhere close (not more than 10-15 minutes walk) from the main action...is this asking too much? I get the feeling that SM is more expensive than downtown LA...I searched for a hotel last night (on hotel booking engines) and most either didn't have any hotels in SM or they were $150+. I need to take the time to search the US yellow pages or similar and look up each hotel individually on the web.

Thanks for your help - it's so hard choosing where to stay when you don't know the city!

Eskimo, hmmm, sure he won't give me a slap for knowing you??
Old Apr 20th 2005, 10:03 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

$100 per night is all we can afford really, less is better - well, to be truthful, we can't afford to go full stop (period!), but didn't want to miss the chance of being in LA!

What we'd like is cheapest place that's not a dump. Also somewhere close (not more than 10-15 minutes walk) from the main action...is this asking too much? I get the feeling that SM is more expensive than downtown LA...I searched for a hotel last night (on hotel booking engines) and most either didn't have any hotels in SM or they were $150+. I need to take the time to search the US yellow pages or similar and look up each hotel individually on the web.

Thanks for your help - it's so hard choosing where to stay when you don't know the city!

Eskimo, hmmm, sure he won't give me a slap for knowing you??
Try the Cal-mar in Santa Monica ;

http://www.santamonica.com/n-accommo...adcal-mar.html

Great location, probably $120 a night?? or the Marina del Rey hotel;

http://www.marinadelreyhotel.com/

I think iot's about $99 a night??

Marina del Rey is a bus ride from Santa Monica. PM me if you need more help?
Old Apr 20th 2005, 10:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Eskimo
you can always find "room" for a lady huh

Briz when you're here go in the Kings Head and tell em Tom sent you - you will get a great reception - honest

Shut your cakehole. You are ruining my image with the ladies
Old Apr 21st 2005, 1:27 am
Account Closed

Shut your cakehole. You are ruining my image with the ladies
The one of bare assed brummie drunk you mean
Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:09 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
The one of bare assed brummie drunk you mean
Oh Shaddap Jasper! Bloody Brummies can get themselves over here but they can't get a decent football team!!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Oh Shaddap Jasper! Bloody Brummies can get themselves over here but they can't get a decent football team!!
go back to your "school" work baggie you've got an early start

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.