Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to report mosquito bites?

Where to report mosquito bites?

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where to report mosquito bites?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If I clip this to my belt bugs don't bother me...I've used it for about 9 years now. I think you can get them cheaper elsewhere ie Amazon. Off sell something similar.
This is really cool! It says the repellent is made with "Geraniol" - do you suppose thats from the geranium plant? I know people plan marigolds to fend of garden pets among the veggies and I think the marigold and the geranium are related.

$30 isn't a bad price - how much are the refills? I didn't see them advertised.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I use a variation of this for chiggers and tick bites. I don't use the cloth, just spray the hottest water I can stand on the bite for as long as I can stand it. It really works, I just did it this morning for the collection of seed tick bites on my ankles. Mosquito bites don't usually bother me too much or I would try it on them as well.:curse:
Guess that would work better for a mass of bites. Glad it works for you - haven't had seed tick bites, but chiggers usually drive me mad - next time I'll try your method.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 4:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
This is really cool! It says the repellent is made with "Geraniol" - do you suppose thats from the geranium plant? I know people plan marigolds to fend of garden pets among the veggies and I think the marigold and the geranium are related.

$30 isn't a bad price - how much are the refills? I didn't see them advertised.
The refills are here. They last for ages...longer than it says.

Geraniol.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 2:59 am
Scottish forever

scotia123 will become famous soon enough

Come up in huge welts from mozzie bites and they last for days!!!...but now use Skin so Soft and have found that it really does work for me.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 5:47 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I was a camp counselor at sleepaway camps for several years. Always brought up plenty of skin so soft. It really works!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 12:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The problem I find with creams and sprays is if I miss a little bit the bugs zoom in on the untreated bit. I find the little fan devices much more effective. Also many of the creams and sprays contains chemicals that melt plastic...I am not putting anything like that on my skin.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

The refills are here. They last for ages...longer than it says.

Geraniol.
Thanks! I always forget about Wikipedia being available for information! If the town stops spraying for mosquitoes in our area, this little gadget should come in handy. (spraying is so double-edged - it's fatal to the mosquitoes but also to the fireflies I so dearly love to see )
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:13 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Try hanging pepperomia plants around your garden - also known as "mosquito plants". I used to have them hanging all around my deck many years ago and they appeared to cut down considerably on the bites - as long as I was in the "magic circle". However, I don't like the smell of pepperomia (must have been a mosquito in a former life), so I don't plant them anymore. Besides, I'm no longer the entree anymore - don't think they like tough old birds.
Have a number of supposed mozzy repelling plants in the garden (and the Bounce rags etc.) but they're still there in force! I do find that treating the garden with one of those hose-end bug sprays reduces them for a couple of weeks but the fact that we have a large pond probably doesn't help!

Can't say the bites bother me apart from the potential nasty diseases they might carry.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Summer Romance

You appeared from no where and shamelessly, without any reservations,
You laid on my naked body...
You sensed my indifference, so you applied your hungry mouth to me Without any guilt or humiliation,
And you drove me near crazy while you drained me.
Finally, I drifted off to sleep.

Today when I awoke, you were gone.
I searched for you but to no avail.
Only the sheets bore witness to last night's events.
My body still bears faint marks of your enthusiastic ravishing, making
it all the more difficult to forget you.
Tonight, I will remain awake, waiting for you........

F##king mosquito!!!!!
Old Aug 26th 2011, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

I can handle mosquito's. At least you can hear the damn mosquito coming. It was those tiny ****ing black flies that drove me crazy in Canada. Hell, they bite so nasty that they chase Moose out of the woods. Nasty little bastards leaving a bloody mess behind.

Last edited by dakota44; Aug 26th 2011 at 8:28 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 8:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dakota44
I can handle mosquito's. At least you can hear the damn mosquito coming. It was those tiny ****ing black flies that drove me crazy in Canada. Hell, they bite so nasty that they chase Moose out of the woods. Nasty little bastards leaving a bloody mess behind.
One of those little buggers bit the top of my foot last week...didn't half hurt. Left a trail of blood down my foot. Fortunately I didn't react to the bite.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

One of those little buggers bit the top of my foot last week...didn't half hurt. Left a trail of blood down my foot. Fortunately I didn't react to the bite.
It is odd that sometimes you don't feel the bite. More often than not actually. But when you do feel them, they hurt. We were forever cleaning up bites on our kids when we were at the cottage and even when they were in the back yard. They had long hair and there were always a bucket load of black flies caught in there if they had been out for long. Under the hair their necks would be covered with bites. Fortunately none of them ever reacted to the bites either. One of our friends had a son who was bitten on the ear and it had swollen to about three times normal size. It was hilarious, I hate to say. We thought he was wearing a fake ear when we arrived at their house and we laughed and said she should take it off.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

I heard that it's the odor that we give off from our breath and skin... and I'm not being derogatory towards smelly bastards! Some people have the odor that mozzies love... and I'm one of them. You can guarantee that if there's a mozzie in the air anywhere around 20 feet of me, it'll sniff me out and have chewed on my follicles before I've even shut my flippin' door.

And my bites swell up really huge and leave ugly bruises. It's the same for my daughter. Yet hubbie mustn't smell too sweet to the little buggers. They always leave him alone.

Jeez, summer is great, but if you can't leave the house because you know you're going to get munched on for some bugs breakfast, then it can make getting fresh air a real challenge.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 9:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by keira-2007
I heard that it's the odor that we give off from our breath and skin... and I'm not being derogatory towards smelly bastards! Some people have the odor that mozzies love... and I'm one of them. You can guarantee that if there's a mozzie in the air anywhere around 20 feet of me, it'll sniff me out and have chewed on my follicles before I've even shut my flippin' door.

And my bites swell up really huge and leave ugly bruises. It's the same for my daughter. Yet hubbie mustn't smell too sweet to the little buggers. They always leave him alone.

Jeez, summer is great, but if you can't leave the house because you know you're going to get munched on for some bugs breakfast, then it can make getting fresh air a real challenge.
I've heard that too...also that they bite most people but some of us have an allergic reaction.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 3:04 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Just saw this story on the BBC about the serious & increasing problem of mosquitoes in the UK.

I live up in the woods in Northern New York and I would like to know where to report mosquito bites over here. Not sure if I should alert the county sheriff .. or maybe we have a public health dept.? I do have good health insurance, so maybe I should go to my doctor if I'm bitten by a mosquito. According to the BBC article, "mosquitoes leave you with bites that lead to itchy, swollen welts. " Sounds nasty.
I call the governor's office to report my mosquito bites. They seem to really appreciate it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.