Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where is the puff pastry?

Where is the puff pastry?

Old Jan 11th 2006, 6:21 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is the puff pastry?

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
That's just what I thought
Old Jan 15th 2006, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

BlightyBoy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by clydegirl
That's just what I thought
Doh!!!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlightyBoy
I've only ever made 'rough puff pastry' which is pretty good. Let's see now - just off the top of my head:

12 oz. (2-1/2 cups) cold flour

3/4 tsp. salt

12 oz. (24 Tbs.) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces

6 oz. (3/4 cup) very cold water

Sift the flour and salt onto the cold cubes of butter. Using a pastry scraper or a large chef's knife, cut the butter into the flour. Work until you have a crumbly mixture. Flatten any large chunks of butter with just your fingertips. Add the ice-cold water a little at a time to loosely bind the dough. Mix the dough with the pastry scraper until it just hangs together. Shape the messy, shaggy dough into a rough rectangle and roll it out until it's 1/2 inch thick. Resist the temptation to overwater or overwork the dough; it will eventually hold together.

Use the pastry scraper to fold the dough in thirds like a business letter. Don't worry if it folds in pieces. Turn the package of dough 90 degrees so the folds run vertically. Square off the edges of the dough as you work. Roll the dough into a rectangle that's 1/2 inch thick, always rolling from open end to open end. Continue rolling, folding, and turning until the dough looks smooth. By four or five "turns," the dough should hang together well.

For even more layers, fold the smooth dough up like a book. To do this, fold the two shorter sides into the center and then fold the dough like a book. Brush off excess flour as you fold. Wrap the dough and chill it for half an hour before giving it two final turns. At this point, you can then use the dough, though another short rest will make rolling and shaping easier.

Or buy a packet of ready made...
That's exactly how I make the rough puff pastry(with a tblesp. of lemon juice) which I use when I make sausage rolls!,it's quicker than driving 30 mins. to the nearest decent supermarket,waiting in the checkout queue,then driving 30 mins back home to make the sausage rolls!...yes it would help to have some frozen on hand but I don't make them, or use pastry, often enough,so making my own pastry is nice on the odd occasion I do make it....and it tastes excellent!....Sophia
p.s. I find that the Walmart brand of 'bulk' sausage,the mild one, is the closest to the sausage meat I used to buy in the UK to make the sausage rolls....and I keep some white Crisco sticks in the fridge and use half that and half stick butter to make the pastry.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 1:45 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
That's exactly how I make the rough puff pastry(with a tblesp. of lemon juice) which I use when I make sausage rolls!,it's quicker than driving 30 mins. to the nearest decent supermarket,waiting in the checkout queue,then driving 30 mins back home to make the sausage rolls!...yes it would help to have some frozen on hand but I don't make them, or use pastry, often enough,so making my own pastry is nice on the odd occasion I do make it....and it tastes excellent!....Sophia
p.s. I find that the Walmart brand of 'bulk' sausage,the mild one, is the closest to the sausage meat I used to buy in the UK to make the sausage rolls....and I keep some white Crisco sticks in the fridge and use half that and half stick butter to make the pastry.
You know that the shop bought puff pastry can be frozen? Just buy some in your regular shopping trip and stick it in the freezer compartment till you make the sausage rolls...

NC Penguin
Old Jan 16th 2006, 1:53 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

For those people making Sausage rolls
Please note ..I offer a free testing service .to ensure you
are offering a good quality item ..all at no cost to you ... besides shipping costs
Old Jan 16th 2006, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
You know that the shop bought puff pastry can be frozen? Just buy some in your regular shopping trip and stick it in the freezer compartment till you make the sausage rolls...

NC Penguin
Yes I know, but whenever I think about getting it,I see the price and think 'I can make it for cheaper,and know it'll be fresh!',and,to honest,when I decide to make them,I'm in the 'cooking mood' and enjoy spending the time in the kitchen making them from scratch,also I've always found that the frozen puff pastry never seems to rise as much as it does when I make my own,don't know why...Sophia
Old Jan 16th 2006, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

I made sausage rolls for some people we had round on friday after reading this thread, they we're fab, everyone was raving about them, used the pepperidge farm pastry it was good.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 5:13 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiegirl2
I made sausage rolls for some people we had round on friday after reading this thread, they we're fab, everyone was raving about them, used the pepperidge farm pastry it was good.
What sausage meat did you use ??
Old Jan 16th 2006, 5:15 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

That's great! Oh & I was just wondering if you had written my address down incorrectly, because my batch still hasn't arrived yet? You did send them, right?
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
What sausage meat did you use ??
just used the Jimmy Dean regular sausagemeat
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Partystar
That's great! Oh & I was just wondering if you had written my address down incorrectly, because my batch still hasn't arrived yet? You did send them, right?

obviously the postman must have sampled them and decided they were too good to pass on!!!!!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:47 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

obviously the postman must have sampled them and decided they were too good to pass on!!!!!
That fat b@stard! Just wait 'til I see him later, he's gonna get it, I'm gonna go 'postal' on his fat arse!!!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Partystar
That fat b@stard! Just wait 'til I see him later, he's gonna get it, I'm gonna go 'postal' on his fat arse!!!
lol