Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where is the puff pastry?

Where is the puff pastry?

Old Jan 10th 2006, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

BlightyBoy is on a distinguished road
Default Where is the puff pastry?

I can't seem to find packets of puff pastry in US supermarkets. Can you get it here? Is it called something else? Is it one of those tubes?
Old Jan 10th 2006, 7:03 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is the puff pastry?

Originally Posted by BlightyBoy
I can't seem to find packets of puff pastry in US supermarkets. Can you get it here? Is it called something else? Is it one of those tubes?
I think so.
Is it pilsbury or something - you know, the tubes with the little dough boy on them.
Can be found in the chilled section near the butter I think, at least that's what some woman just told me.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I buy Pepperidge Farm frozen puff pastry. It's usually near the frozen desserts but I use it for savoury pies and it's tastes OK.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

As the above poster says, look for Pperidge farm. it comes as shells or sheets. Go to www.puffpastry.com
Old Jan 10th 2006, 7:44 am
MaƱo-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
I buy Pepperidge Farm frozen puff pastry. It's usually near the frozen desserts but I use it for savoury pies and it's tastes OK.
That is where I have found it here also- near the frozen pies and cakes and such. If not, just ask the store manager or stock persons...most are extremely helpful.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:07 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I found frozen sheets in my local posh store - harris teeter but not in Kroger

I introduced my friends to the wonders of sausage rolls (using sausages purchased at the international market)
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:09 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I found frozen sheets in my local posh store - harris teeter but not in Kroger

I introduced my friends to the wonders of sausage rolls (using sausages purchased at the international market)
I was going to try home-made sausage rolls myself.
Did they turn out ok, and did you just wrap the sausage in pastry or did you remove the skin from it first ??

I'm not gay or 'owt by the way
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:17 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Did they turn out ok, and did you just wrap the sausage in pastry or did you remove the skin from it first ??

simple as opening a bottle of beer!

cut the pastry, wrap the sausage, made a few horizonal scores along the top and brushed some milk on

stick in the oven for half an hour at 375

JOB DONE
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:19 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
simple as opening a bottle of beer!

cut the pastry, wrap the sausage, made a few horizonal scores along the top and brushed some milk on

stick in the oven for half an hour at 375

JOB DONE
Pork sausages I assume
It never even occurred to me to make my own sausage rolls - I am getting quite excited here.

(no double entendre by the way)
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:19 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Not that there'd be anything wrong with that of course.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:20 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by neil
Not that there'd be anything wrong with that of course.
Of course not, no
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

NeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud of

I couldn't find puff pastry so I used one of those tubes of pastry labelled as something like buttery biscuits and they came out really well. I used sausage meat which most supermarkets seem to keep near the bacon. I later found frozen puff pastry by the deserts.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:47 am
Mr. Grumpy

Pork sausages I assume
It never even occurred to me to make my own sausage rolls - I am getting quite excited here.

Yup, Big Ben's Britsh Bangers

Lovingly imported from Florida to Nashville

As usual with anything I cook up, my friends were a bit dubious, but after a tentative bite were scoffing them down.

Similar to when I first introduced English sausage, it ended up with half the girls wrapping their third an forth ones in foil to take home.

I explained it by saying that english sausages are bigger and more filling
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:50 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by BlightyBoy

BlightyBOY you're male!!! It's NOT your job to be searching supermarket shelves for puff bloody pastry (unless it's right next to the beer)

However I will tell you what it's called: "Her job to find it"
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

Pork sausages I assume

Go for sausage meat rather than sausages, the advantage is that you go for some of the spicier mixes (The Jimmy Dean ones are especially good)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.