Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where is the puff pastry?

Where is the puff pastry?

Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Where is the puff pastry?

Near the Sara Lee and Cool Whip.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:18 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

q. Where is the puff pastry?

a. With the queer Filling!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:22 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I was going to try home-made sausage rolls myself.
Did they turn out ok, and did you just wrap the sausage in pastry or did you remove the skin from it first ??

I'm not gay or 'owt by the way
Nothing wrong with talking about sausage rolls Davy, you're just in touch with your feminine side, now pass me the 3/8th spanner
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
"Her job to find it"
Where's my microscope and tweezers, I'll be right with ya.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:46 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
q. Where is the puff pastry?

a. With the queer Filling!
Blimey, sounds like it should be poof pastry
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

BlightyBoy is on a distinguished road

BlightyBOY you're male!!! It's NOT your job to be searching supermarket shelves for puff bloody pastry (unless it's right next to the beer)

However I will tell you what it's called: "Her job to find it"
You try telling her! It doesn't help that I used to be a chef and she can't cook (or shop)!

Okay, thanks all, so it was in the frozen section after all. Also aren't those buttery biscuits like scones rather than poof pastry?
Old Jan 10th 2006, 1:05 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlightyBoy
You try telling her! It doesn't help that I used to be a chef and she can't cook (or shop)!

Okay, thanks all, so it was in the frozen section after all. Also aren't those buttery biscuits like scones rather than poof pastry?

Those biscuits taste like shite though. In fact most pillsbury dough in a can tastes rank when it comes out of the oven. I think its probably to do with it being full of hydrogenated oils instead of using good old lard like it should be.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

You used to be a chef and are asking us where the puff pastry is???????

Knock up some home made you lazy idle bastard!! No wonder she sends you out to do the shopping, probably the only exercise you get!!!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

You used to be a chef and are asking us where the puff pastry is???????

Knock up some home made you lazy idle bastard!! No wonder she sends you out to do the shopping, probably the only exercise you get!!!
No need to be bitter just cos I'm the ideal man! FYI, puff pastry is fairly time consuming and many British chefs actually use stuff from the packet because you can't tell that much difference if you get good quality stuff.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:07 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2702
(The Jimmy Dean ones are especially good)
Go wash your mouth out you little turd burger ...
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:11 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

No need to be bitter just cos I'm the ideal man!.
You're that ideal you couldn't find puff pastry in a supermarket....hardly James Bond are ya

FYI, puff pastry is fairly time consuming .
I'm not suprised if every chef in Britain has to ask an internet forum where the f**k they can get it. I'd have buggered off out the restaurant rather than wait for Gordon Ramsey to jump on his laptop and then nip down to Tesco's FFS
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:47 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I can't seem to find packets of puff pastry in US supermarkets. Can you get it here? Is it called something else? Is it one of those tubes?
Like other posters I but Perreridge farms. Its in the frozen section next to pie shells and frozen cakes.

If you have a day or so try making your own.....its a trip
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nun
If you have a day or so try making your own.....its a trip
I've only ever made 'rough puff pastry' which is pretty good. Let's see now - just off the top of my head:

12 oz. (2-1/2 cups) cold flour

3/4 tsp. salt

12 oz. (24 Tbs.) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces

6 oz. (3/4 cup) very cold water

Sift the flour and salt onto the cold cubes of butter. Using a pastry scraper or a large chef's knife, cut the butter into the flour. Work until you have a crumbly mixture. Flatten any large chunks of butter with just your fingertips. Add the ice-cold water a little at a time to loosely bind the dough. Mix the dough with the pastry scraper until it just hangs together. Shape the messy, shaggy dough into a rough rectangle and roll it out until it's 1/2 inch thick. Resist the temptation to overwater or overwork the dough; it will eventually hold together.

Use the pastry scraper to fold the dough in thirds like a business letter. Don't worry if it folds in pieces. Turn the package of dough 90 degrees so the folds run vertically. Square off the edges of the dough as you work. Roll the dough into a rectangle that's 1/2 inch thick, always rolling from open end to open end. Continue rolling, folding, and turning until the dough looks smooth. By four or five "turns," the dough should hang together well.

For even more layers, fold the smooth dough up like a book. To do this, fold the two shorter sides into the center and then fold the dough like a book. Brush off excess flour as you fold. Wrap the dough and chill it for half an hour before giving it two final turns. At this point, you can then use the dough, though another short rest will make rolling and shaping easier.

Or buy a packet of ready made...
Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:05 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I've only ever made 'rough puff pastry' which is pretty good. Let's see now - just off the top of my head:

3/4 tsp. salt

Sift the flour and salt onto the cold cubes of butter. Using a pastry scraper or a large chef's knife, cut the butter into the flour. Work until you have a crumbly mixture. Flatten any large chunks of butter with just your fingertips. Add the ice-cold water a little at a time to loosely bind the dough. Mix the dough with the pastry scraper until it just hangs together. Shape the messy, shaggy dough into a rough rectangle and roll it out until it's 1/2 inch thick. Resist the temptation to overwater or overwork the dough; it will eventually hold together.

Use the pastry scraper to fold the dough in thirds like a business letter. Don't worry if it folds in pieces. Turn the package of dough 90 degrees so the folds run vertically. Square off the edges of the dough as you work. Roll the dough into a rectangle that's 1/2 inch thick, always rolling from open end to open end. Continue rolling, folding, and turning until the dough looks smooth. By four or five "turns," the dough should hang together well.

For even more layers, fold the smooth dough up like a book. To do this, fold the two shorter sides into the center and then fold the dough like a book. Brush off excess flour as you fold. Wrap the dough and chill it for half an hour before giving it two final turns. At this point, you can then use the dough, though another short rest will make rolling and shaping easier.

Use your finger to put a dimple in the dough to mark each turn. That way you'll make sure you get enough layers. I'd refrigerate for an hour between turns.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 6:15 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

3/4 tsp. salt

Off the top of your head my arse!!

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/p...0012_rec01.asp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.