Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to park near NYC?

Wikiposts

Where to park near NYC?

Old Aug 6th 2012, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where to park near NYC?

My sis-in-law and her family are arriving from the UK today for a visit (I live in DC's Maryland suburbs). Later this week they plan to drive to NYC and stay there for a few days. They are wondering where to park the car. In the past I have parked at the Staten Island ferry terminal and taken the free ferry to Manhattan. I've also parked at the Weehawken ferry terminal and taken a ferry over to Manhatten from there. Are these good options? Is there a better option? Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 6:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to park near NYC?

There's a Sheraton Hotel at Lincoln Harbour...they could stay there and use the hotel car park for free. There used to be a ferry from the hotel to Manhattan...don't know if it is still in use...if not there may be a hotel shuttle to the ferry at Weehawken.

Edit: Lincoln Harbour is just down the road from Weehawken. The Chart House and Arthur's Landing restaurants are situated between Lincoln Harbour and Weehawken. IMO the very best views of Manhattan are from both restaurants.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 6th 2012 at 6:34 am.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Dont do what i did

Drove to Harlem and stayed there for the weekend. Why? Because free parking on the north side of central park thats why

Not such a nice place, but the parking was as advertised
Old Aug 6th 2012, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

SEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to behold

I have friends that live in Cobble Hill in Brooklyn, and there is free (alternate side) street parking there.

Cobble Hill and Brooklyn Heights are nice places to visit anyway - great views of Lower Manhattan from the promenade - and then it's a quick trip into Manhattan on the F train.

Take exit 13 off the turnpike, which takes you over the Goethals and Verrazzano bridges, then take the BQE to the Atlantic Ave exit.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 6:54 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You park at a long term lot at the ferry stations then? I doubt that you are allowed to park free of charge at any transit authority lot. Besides I would be fearful of leaving my car at one overnight. Never know if you will ever see it again.

If they are staying at a hotel in the city, the hotel will have a place where they can garage the car at cost. Have them check it out.

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
My sis-in-law and her family are arriving from the UK today for a visit (I live in DC's Maryland suburbs). Later this week they plan to drive to NYC and stay there for a few days. They are wondering where to park the car. In the past I have parked at the Staten Island ferry terminal and taken the free ferry to Manhattan. I've also parked at the Weehawken ferry terminal and taken a ferry over to Manhatten from there. Are these good options? Is there a better option? Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.

They've booked a hotel in Manhattan but they aren't keen about driving in Manhattan itself.

I've left my car overnight at the Weehawken ferry terminal (for a few days at a time). Done that quite a few times without any problems.

At Staten Island, I just parked at the ferry terminal lot for the day as I was staying in a hotel on Staten Island. I just went back and forth to Manhattan on the free SI ferry. Apparently there's an overnight option at a lot beside the Staten Island Yankees baseball stadium but I haven't used that before.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 8:05 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

By the time your reach Manhattan the vast majority of the scary driving has already taken place. I've driven into Manhattan countless times and always parked at one of the garages listed on this webshite. You can decide where you want to park and how much you want to pay on a fairly easy mappy thing.

Piece of piss, as they say.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Bootle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Thanks for the replies.

They've booked a hotel in Manhattan but they aren't keen about driving in Manhattan itself.

I've left my car overnight at the Weehawken ferry terminal (for a few days at a time). Done that quite a few times without any problems.

At Staten Island, I just parked at the ferry terminal lot for the day as I was staying in a hotel on Staten Island. I just went back and forth to Manhattan on the free SI ferry. Apparently there's an overnight option at a lot beside the Staten Island Yankees baseball stadium but I haven't used that before.
If there's a number of people going and the hotel in Manhattan is already booked then she should just drive in and park at the hotel. Most have special rates with local garages and leave it there for the time she will be in Manhattan. Once you sort out the public transport in and out of the Island and hauling around luggage she will be glad she did. Easiest way in to midtown is to take the Lincoln Tunnel in and then it's a grid from there.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 1:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bestparking.com/

Fab site, for Boston at least, don't know about NYC, but plonk in where you want to be and it'll tell you best places to park by whatever you're looking for, cost/long term, security, that kind of stuff.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

Why not leave the car in DC and take the train straight in to Penn Station? Far easier and if they're renting the car then they can drop it off and pick it up again when they return. Save on the tolls on the I95 as well.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

hi marylandned. i also live in dc maryland suburbs. North bethesda/rockville.

when we go to nyc we get the vamoose bus. it leaves from bethesda and dc its much cheaper than the train and drops you off at penn station nyc.

and its very nice too,not having the hassle of driving/parking
Old Aug 7th 2012, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.bestparking.com/

Fab site, for Boston at least, don't know about NYC, but plonk in where you want to be and it'll tell you best places to park by whatever you're looking for, cost/long term, security, that kind of stuff.
Thanks. We'll be in Boston in a few weeks. Good to know you like it. I downloaded the app but will look at the website too.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moxie
Thanks. We'll be in Boston in a few weeks. Good to know you like it. I downloaded the app but will look at the website too.
I've only used the website, but the app looks like a more convenient use of it if you're got a smart phone, I don't so stick to the web and list off the places to go when we've got to go to Boston, very handy
Old Aug 8th 2012, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan17
Why not leave the car in DC and take the train straight in to Penn Station? Far easier and if they're renting the car then they can drop it off and pick it up again when they return. Save on the tolls on the I95 as well.
They are driving because they are going to Niagara Falls from NYC.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by redarmy990
hi marylandned. i also live in dc maryland suburbs. North bethesda/rockville.

when we go to nyc we get the vamoose bus. it leaves from bethesda and dc its much cheaper than the train and drops you off at penn station nyc.

and its very nice too,not having the hassle of driving/parking
Yeah my daughter did that before. That would have been a good option except my guests are heading to Niagara Falls from NYC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.