British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Where to get UK license photo (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/where-get-uk-license-photo-715062/)

Bluegrass Lass Apr 29th 2011 6:02 pm

Where to get UK license photo

My hubby's UK drivers license photo card is expiring in late May/early June. He has to send them a new photo. Anyone have any suggestions of where to get one? We used Walgreens in the past, but apparently some of you have had problems with them so we'd like to know of any other alternatives.

Duncan Roberts Apr 29th 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Where to get UK license photo

You can't renew a UK license if you are not resident in the UK.

Bluegrass Lass Apr 29th 2011 6:10 pm

Why can he not get a new photo taken here and send that off? I believe they are only asking that he provide a new photo as the 'photo' is expired or something like that. I haven't read the actual paper myself so I'm only translating what he's told me. If it matters, the paperwork was sent to his parents address, where he lived prior to coming here. So I guess they think he's still living there.

It's fairly imperative that he keeps the license current as we are actually moving back in about 18mo or so - and I know they won't exchange a US license directly for a UK license..he would be forced to sit and exam, like a newbie driver, but he'll need to have a full license right away in order to find employment.

NSBlake Apr 29th 2011 6:18 pm

Has your husband had a new UK passport in the last 5 years?

If so you can go online and pay £20 and they use the electronic image form the passport. I did this last week and it arrived (at my brother's address - as I used his UK address) 3 days later.........

Bluegrass Lass Apr 29th 2011 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by NSBlake (Post 9333748)
Has your husband had a new UK passport in the last 5 years?

If so you can go online and pay £20 and they use the electronic image form the passport. I did this last week and it arrived (at my brother's address - as I used his UK address) 3 days later.........

No he hasn't had a new passport in the past 5 years, so that wouldn't be an option for him unfortunately.

NSBlake Apr 29th 2011 6:41 pm

I had "US passport sized" photos done at CVS - this guy was very helpful with sizing of other photos I had done at the same time.

Perhaps you can find someone just as helpful at your local CVS (Kodack) that can match the UK size - or print the image on photo paper and you can cut around it?

fromthemanorborn Apr 29th 2011 6:56 pm

Why not just renew it when you return to the UK in 18mo or whenever, it's not like he needs it until then. You don't lose your license because the photo is out of date. You are licensed to drive until you are 70 as long as you are physically and mentally able to do so.

Bob Apr 29th 2011 7:56 pm

Aye, not allowed to renew it when you aren't resident...so just do it when you move back, not like you have to do the test or anything, just fill in the form and send it in and you're sorted.

Bluegrass Lass Apr 29th 2011 8:24 pm

Ahhh...there's a relief then. We had assumed that if we didn't renew it in a certain timeframe the license would be become expired and he would have to start all over again to get a new one.