Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to get UK license photo

Where to get UK license photo

Old Apr 29th 2011, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where to get UK license photo

My hubby's UK drivers license photo card is expiring in late May/early June. He has to send them a new photo. Anyone have any suggestions of where to get one? We used Walgreens in the past, but apparently some of you have had problems with them so we'd like to know of any other alternatives.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to get UK license photo

You can't renew a UK license if you are not resident in the UK.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Why can he not get a new photo taken here and send that off? I believe they are only asking that he provide a new photo as the 'photo' is expired or something like that. I haven't read the actual paper myself so I'm only translating what he's told me. If it matters, the paperwork was sent to his parents address, where he lived prior to coming here. So I guess they think he's still living there.

It's fairly imperative that he keeps the license current as we are actually moving back in about 18mo or so - and I know they won't exchange a US license directly for a UK license..he would be forced to sit and exam, like a newbie driver, but he'll need to have a full license right away in order to find employment.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Apr 29th 2011 at 6:38 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

Has your husband had a new UK passport in the last 5 years?

If so you can go online and pay £20 and they use the electronic image form the passport. I did this last week and it arrived (at my brother's address - as I used his UK address) 3 days later.........
Old Apr 29th 2011, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NSBlake
Has your husband had a new UK passport in the last 5 years?

If so you can go online and pay £20 and they use the electronic image form the passport. I did this last week and it arrived (at my brother's address - as I used his UK address) 3 days later.........
No he hasn't had a new passport in the past 5 years, so that wouldn't be an option for him unfortunately.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

I had "US passport sized" photos done at CVS - this guy was very helpful with sizing of other photos I had done at the same time.

Perhaps you can find someone just as helpful at your local CVS (Kodack) that can match the UK size - or print the image on photo paper and you can cut around it?

Last edited by NSBlake; Apr 29th 2011 at 6:55 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

Why not just renew it when you return to the UK in 18mo or whenever, it's not like he needs it until then. You don't lose your license because the photo is out of date. You are licensed to drive until you are 70 as long as you are physically and mentally able to do so.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 7:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, not allowed to renew it when you aren't resident...so just do it when you move back, not like you have to do the test or anything, just fill in the form and send it in and you're sorted.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ahhh...there's a relief then. We had assumed that if we didn't renew it in a certain timeframe the license would be become expired and he would have to start all over again to get a new one.