Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where in Florida?

Where in Florida?

Old Feb 17th 2005, 8:40 am
Just Joined

thistlegirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where in Florida?

Hi there, I'd be grateful for any advice I can get regarding moving to the US. I'm a nurse hoping to work in Florida, can anyone recommend somewhere suitable to settle? I have 2 kids (who don't want to move!) so I have to get it right! Been looking at websites of different locations but I feel it's better to get info from people who live/or know the areas. Thanks Thistlegirl

Last edited by thistlegirl; Feb 17th 2005 at 8:41 am. Reason: wrong title
Old Feb 17th 2005, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Joanna is a jewel in the roughJoanna is a jewel in the roughJoanna is a jewel in the roughJoanna is a jewel in the roughJoanna is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Where in Florida?

Originally Posted by thistlegirl
Hi there, I'd be grateful for any advice I can get regarding moving to the US. I'm a nurse hoping to work in Florida, can anyone recommend somewhere suitable to settle? I have 2 kids (who don't want to move!) so I have to get it right! Been looking at websites of different locations but I feel it's better to get info from people who live/or know the areas. Thanks Thistlegirl
We are at the moment waiting for our green card interview, from the American Embassy. When the time finally arrives, we will be living with relatives in a place called Pembroke Pines, this is a beautiful area of Florida, with highly recommended schools for your children (we have 2 children), there is a very low crime rate, and is not considered a tourist area. Pembroke Pines is situated on the East side of Florida and is about an hour away from Miami, the beaches are about half an hour away.
Good luck.
Joanna
Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:14 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

It will take you around 2 years to actually get there from a start although if you already have your NCLEX passed that may help ...you don't really want to decide where to live until you find the job...
Other nurses doing the same thing can be found at http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/floridadays/index.cgi
Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:40 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Your research on where to live can only really begin after you obtain your visa. If you fixate on a particular state/city/region where you would like to live, you may find yourself waiting a long, long time before an opportunity arises when you can get a job there.

So, in the meantime, you could pay close attention to geographic areas in the US that have medical facilities in the speciality that you work in. Also, start investigating the cost of education for your children (especially if any of them wishes to attend university in the US).

NC Penguin
Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

thistlegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for info. I know it can take 2yrs to get to US but since i've joined a nursing agency I thought it would be better to have a little knowledge of areas I think we would like otherwise the agency might place me somewhere I really don't want to go (I've read that this happens frequently!) Anyway it's good to look at pictures of sunny florida on the net while its wet and windy here!
Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:09 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for info. I know it can take 2yrs to get to US but since i've joined a nursing agency I thought it would be better to have a little knowledge of areas I think we would like otherwise the agency might place me somewhere I really don't want to go (I've read that this happens frequently!) Anyway it's good to look at pictures of sunny florida on the net while its wet and windy here!
Nursing agencies wont usually guarantee the state you will end up in ..
read Rockgurl story ....
Old Feb 19th 2005, 11:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Nursing agencies wont usually guarantee the state you will end up in ..
read Rockgurl story ....
Yeah, she wanted New England, and got, ..... Arizona!

Like NC Penguin said, it isn't a good idea to fix on one part of the US, there are considerable differences from state to state. There are advantages to each state, for example there are many good things about Florida, virtal absence of Winter, many British, lots to do (because it is a tourist destination), ... plus hurricanes and oppressive heat and humidity in July and August!
Old Feb 19th 2005, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yeah, she wanted New England, and got, ..... Arizona!

There are advantages to each state, for example there are many good things about Florida, many British, :

These things are not necessarily good....sun burned, pissed, football shirt wearing fools moaning their arses off to their equally pathetic tour reps is often what you get - I'm so happy I don't live in Orlando.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 8:28 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
These things are not necessarily good....sun burned, pissed, football shirt wearing fools moaning their arses off to their equally pathetic tour reps is often what you get - I'm so happy I don't live in Orlando.
That sort are tourists -- I would hope having a large year-round expat community would be different! At least the expats would probably sort out some sunscreen!

On the flip side, I am sooooo happy to be able to go out into the brightest sun England can throw at me, stay out all day, and not get burnt. Bliss.

"Irishmen spontaneously combust over 90 degrees. First an eye pops out, then a leg falls off..." -- Gary Lightbody, lead singer of Snow Patrol
Old Feb 20th 2005, 12:55 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Can you give any idea of what you want? Country,beaches,town,backwater,slow/fast paced, cheap housing. Something to consider how much money will you bring might be the difference as to where you can afford.
Not all Florida is cheap!
Old Feb 20th 2005, 1:07 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

With 50 States to choose from, why do people always seem to flock to FL?
Old Feb 20th 2005, 1:15 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by sibsie
With 50 States to choose from, why do people always seem to flock to FL?
Mornin Sibs... I think its mainly just to piss me off... but fortunately most of them head for the shit hole of Orlando
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:54 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
most of them head for the shit hole of Orlando
It's a wonderful place all the expat brits should head there.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 11:01 pm
delphiman

Orlando = Costa Del Sol.
Palm Beach County = Full of Rich, obnoxious New Yorker retirees.
Miami-Dade = Full of Hispanics

Try Brevard county or the Panhandle areas.

Old Feb 21st 2005, 10:18 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

Or Volusia county!!!!!

thistle girl, did u get my message?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.