Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to enter foreign interest in Turbo Tax

Where to enter foreign interest in Turbo Tax

Old Apr 11th 2011, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

ImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to all
Default Where to enter foreign interest in Turbo Tax

Hi,
I have ~300gbp of interest from an ISA account to declare.
I'm using Turbo Tax but can't find the place to enter this. In the Interest and Dividends sections I see a sections for "1099-OID, foreign accounts". But it never asks me to input info on my UK interest.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

KK
Old Apr 11th 2011, 3:09 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to enter foreign interest in Turbo Tax

Perhaps it is simply categorized as foreign earned income?
Old Apr 12th 2011, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

ImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to all

From what I understand foreign earned income is for stuff like wages.
In the end I just entered the interest manually as a 1099.

KK
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:21 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImmortalNinja
From what I understand foreign earned income is for stuff like wages.
In the end I just entered the interest manually as a 1099.

KK
You need to enter the foreign interest income on your Schedule B. As this is in an ISA, which is UK tax free, there won't be any tax credit to apply against US
tax. Creating a 1099-INT with your UK bank information and the interest converted to dollars is probably the way to get Turbotax to fill in the right information.