Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where do you say you are from!

Where do you say you are from!

Old Sep 27th 2008, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Marty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where do you say you are from!

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I say England. On our son's forms for his registration when he was born my wife put United Kingdom, 2 weeks out of the hospital and we were waiting on the forms to apply for his birth certificate and they arrive and under father's place of birth it said United Arab Emirates. we rang them up thinking it was just a typo and they had no idea where the United Kingdom was so just chose the nearest thing so we told them England instead and that seemed to fix it. I've told the wife to say England from now on too.
Really?

Really?!?
Old Sep 27th 2008, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marty J
Really?

Really?!?
I agree, REALLY, that is the dumbest thing I have heard. Must employ some idiots there
Old Sep 27th 2008, 2:17 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I say England. On our son's forms for his registration when he was born my wife put United Kingdom, 2 weeks out of the hospital and we were waiting on the forms to apply for his birth certificate and they arrive and under father's place of birth it said United Arab Emirates. we rang them up thinking it was just a typo and they had no idea where the United Kingdom was so just chose the nearest thing so we told them England instead and that seemed to fix it. I've told the wife to say England from now on too.
Sounds to me like a mistake picking the country from a drop down menu...
Old Sep 27th 2008, 2:22 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you from?
England
yes I know, but where?
Surrey
Where?
Surrey
I said where in England?
Surrey
Oh...I thought you were saying sorry....*hilarious laughter*
whatever

So yes, sometimes I just say London cos I cannot be bothered

I've been thinking of saying Sweden to confuse them

Last edited by Juswus; Sep 27th 2008 at 2:24 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

I say Yorkshire, then after a blank look i say 'where the Yorkshire ripper was', then after more blank look, 'where they filmed the series 'All creature great and small''. Ah yes, that usually does the trick
Old Sep 27th 2008, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by Juswus
Where are you from?
England
yes I know, but where?
Surrey
Where?
Surrey
I said where in England?
Surrey
Oh...I thought you were saying sorry....*hilarious laughter*
whatever

So yes, sometimes I just say London cos I cannot be bothered

I've been thinking of saying Sweden to confuse them
You could say Skowhegan, i'm sure they know where that is
Old Sep 27th 2008, 3:02 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivit
You could say Skowhegan, i'm sure they know where that is

well, I have said Winslow before, because that is where I'm from NOW...but I thought they were gonna complain about me being a smartarse to my boss!

Last night someone asked if I was from Lewiston as they couldn't figure out the accent!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 3:03 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

I usually say either south coast or London, depending on my mood.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Juswus
Last night someone asked if I was from Lewiston as they couldn't figure out the accent!
I'm wondering did they say are you from LA and you, being the Maineiac you are now naturally thought of Lewiston-Auburn when they meant that LA out west where they really do talk funny
Old Sep 27th 2008, 4:17 pm
lush

Originally Posted by rivit
I'm wondering did they say are you from LA and you, being the Maineiac you are now naturally thought of Lewiston-Auburn when they meant that LA out west where they really do talk funny
LOL...nope...he asked "are you from Lewiston?" His friend was looking at him like he was mad (although he then went on to call me Australian! )
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:05 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Scotland, cos it's so much fun to hear that they are 1/2 scottish or irish and that we are practically related. Also love it when they ask (or ax) what language we speak
I had a guy the other day asking me if he would be safe to visit england because he is 1/2 scottish and he doesnt want to get into a fight..........

and i have been asked where in london is the eiffel tower (??), what language do I speak and that I am fine when I go to france because we all speak french...
Old Sep 28th 2008, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly off-topic, but my favo(u)rite "stupid tourist question" came from an American couple in Cambridge who wanted to know where King's College Chapel was.

This in itself wouldn't have been too awful except that they were in King's Parade sitting on the low wall that separates King's College grounds from the pavement in approximately the same position as the two people in this picture ...
Attached Thumbnails Where do you say you are from!-kingscollegechapel.jpg  
Old Sep 28th 2008, 11:21 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

We do it as well it appears

Been shopping with mother in Homebase today getting her stuff before I leave anyway, the lad that was helping us asked me in conversation where was I flying to, I said San Francisco tomorrow and ready for this...............how close to the statue of liberty is that
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 2:04 am
Just Joined

PhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nice
Default Re: Where do you say you are from?

Sometimes I say "Have a guess", and they say "Oh", like Havagess is some country they've never heard of.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 5:36 pm
lush

Default Re: Where do you say you are from?

Originally Posted by PhilG
Sometimes I say "Have a guess", and they say "Oh", like Havagess is some country they've never heard of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.