Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where do I find cheap flights to the UK?

Wikiposts

Where do I find cheap flights to the UK?

Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do I find cheap flights to the UK?

Originally Posted by Adnams
Last time I flew Continental I vowed never to travel them again, 7 hours delay at Newark with no explanations! Nearly missed my best mates wedding as a consequence!
I have only been delayed once with Continental flying to the UK. There was a problem with the plane and we were delayed about 4 hrs...I used the BA lounge in Newark so it wasn't too bad. Besides it's the only airline that flies EWR/MAN.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 29th 2007 at 1:47 am.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:45 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Where do I find cheap flights to the UK?

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler

We usually save about 50% by waiting till the last possible moment ... I have never paid more than $300 per person on Virgin.

Try Continental from Newark to Heathrow ..... they are sometimes a bit less and the flight are always on Virgin planes.
Sorry I don't agree with you about leaving it until the 'last possible moment' before booking flights. You've either become very lucky indeed, or you were probably flying in the off-peak season?

Look how many of us have posted on these boards for assistance for bereavement fares or needed to get home to the UK when someone dear to us is gravely ill and the flight prices for urgent or last-minute travel are horrendous.....

I'm flying out with BA from Newark to LHR on 3rd August and bought my ticket at least a couple of months ago....the initial flight price was cheap but the taxes were high so the ticket price was around $700 all-in.

My friend is looking to fly from Newark to Nice at the first weekend in August to go on holiday with her boyfriend for a week touring the South of France.....we spent over an hour on Wednesday evening trawling the websites and she's getting prices with all the major European airlines for well over $1000 pp. She is now thinking of flying with Zoom to Gatwick or perhaps the new service with Qatar airlines to Geneva for around $800. It's the airport taxes which are incredibly expensive but of course it's now peak season for travel.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:51 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

also www.farecompare.com
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:59 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Where do I find cheap flights to the UK?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have only been delayed once with Continental flying to the UK. There was a problem with the plane and we were delayed about 4 hrs...I used the BA lounge in Newark so it wasn't too bad.

How did you manage to do that? The BA lounge is in another terminal after you go through security!

It's not that great in there but a tad better than the Continental President's lounges.

My husband has tried out that new Silverjet airline where you check in at their lounge and they've allowed me to go in with him until the flight is ready for boarding (it's pre-security). It's really nice in there so I was scoffing some very nice sarnies and reading the English newspapers....sadly couldn't avail myself of their bar 'cos I was driving home LOL!

They've had some good promotions on with Silverjet ( a business class only airline which currently flies between Newark and Luton airport); my spouse had a round-trip flight for $1488 including taxes a couple of weeks ago and he said that he was very impressed with their service:

http://www.flysilverjet.com
Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
How did you manage to do that? The BA lounge is in another terminal after you go through security!

It's not that great in there but a tad better than the Continental President's lounges.

My husband has tried out that new Silverjet airline where you check in at their lounge and they've allowed me to go in with him until the flight is ready for boarding (it's pre-security). It's really nice in there so I was scoffing some very nice sarnies and reading the English newspapers....sadly couldn't avail myself of their bar 'cos I was driving home LOL!

They've had some good promotions on with Silverjet ( a business class only airline which currently flies between Newark and Luton airport); my spouse had a round-trip flight for $1488 including taxes a couple of weeks ago and he said that he was very impressed with their service:

http://www.flysilverjet.com
True...it was long time ago...maybe I was flying to London with another airline. In those days I sometimes used to fly via London...now I know better. I remember there was a lot of renovations going on....no seating and rolls of carpet everywhere so people were sat of those. It's the only time my flight to the UK has been delayed for any significant length of time.

I know there are some great deals flying to London...but it puts hours on the journey for me...then there's the air fare to MAN. It's just not worth the hassle.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 29th 2007 at 2:11 am.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:23 am

Unhappy Re: Where do I find cheap flights to the UK?

True...it was long time ago...maybe I was flying to London with another airline. In those days I sometimes used to fly via London...now I know better. I remember there was a lot of renovations going on....no seating and rolls of carpet everywhere so people were sat of those. It's the only time my flight to the UK has been delayed for any significant length of time.

I know there are some great deals flying to London...but it puts hours on the journey for me...then there's the air fare to MAN. It's just not worth the hassle.
Oddly enough my family all live in NW Coventry, which is only about 20 minutes from Birmingham airport. However, I've been on that Continental flight to BHX and it's awful. The plane is a 757-200 which is supposed to be a medium-range plane intended for the domestic market.....it is a narrow-body plane with just one aisle and the seats are awfully cramped (no extra space even at the emergency exit row!). There are no frills....those awful drop-down from the ceiling small TV screens so not worth watching. I've also found their cabin crew to be miserable on this route (I suppose that spending a day or two in Birmingham doesn't appeal to them LOL!).

I also can't stand the overnight flights, so instead I take the morning BA flight which arrives at Heathrow at about 8pm and usually then pick up a rental car and drive the 90 miles up to Coventry and then go straight to sleep for the night.....it really helps me to avoid the jet-lag.

I think that Continental is also using those 757-200 planes on their flights to Bristol, don't know about what they use to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Belfast and MAN......I know they put a nice plane on their flights to Gatwick as there is competition with other airlines between Newark and London.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

They fly 757/200 to Manchester.

The last time we flew Continental EWR to MAN we took the 100/101 and it was the pits. It seemed to be a really old plane and all the seats creaked if you moved slightly (great on a night flight), the crew were really miserable. They wouldn't allow us to take water on the plane and not once did the crew come round with any. If you wanted water you had to ask for it.

Coming back was a completely different story. The crew were a great, friendly bunch, they came round with drinks and water every half hour or so and the plane seemed to be a fairly new (small) one.

I wish another airline would start flying EWR to MAN, or at the very least Continental would start flying their 777s on that route again.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Oddly enough my family all live in NW Coventry, which is only about 20 minutes from Birmingham airport. However, I've been on that Continental flight to BHX and it's awful. The plane is a 757-200 which is supposed to be a medium-range plane intended for the domestic market.....it is a narrow-body plane with just one aisle and the seats are awfully cramped (no extra space even at the emergency exit row!). There are no frills....those awful drop-down from the ceiling small TV screens so not worth watching. I've also found their cabin crew to be miserable on this route (I suppose that spending a day or two in Birmingham doesn't appeal to them LOL!).

I also can't stand the overnight flights, so instead I take the morning BA flight which arrives at Heathrow at about 8pm and usually then pick up a rental car and drive the 90 miles up to Coventry and then go straight to sleep for the night.....it really helps me to avoid the jet-lag.

I think that Continental is also using those 757-200 planes on their flights to Bristol, don't know about what they use to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Belfast and MAN......I know they put a nice plane on their flights to Gatwick as there is competition with other airlines between Newark and London.
Now Continental are running 2 daily flights to MAN I've noticed they are using older planes which are much smaller and narrower. They are so decrepit they even have the TV's in the ceiling.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by mandpete
They fly 757/200 to Manchester.

The last time we flew Continental EWR to MAN we took the 100/101 and it was the pits. It seemed to be a really old plane and all the seats creaked if you moved slightly (great on a night flight), the crew were really miserable. They wouldn't allow us to take water on the plane and not once did the crew come round with any. If you wanted water you had to ask for it.

Coming back was a completely different story. The crew were a great, friendly bunch, they came round with drinks and water every half hour or so and the plane seemed to be a fairly new (small) one.

I wish another airline would start flying EWR to MAN, or at the very least Continental would start flying their 777s on that route again.
I read a few years ago Virgin was going to fly the EWR/MAN route...don't know what happened.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I read a few years ago Virgin was going to fly the EWR/MAN route...don't know what happened.
I read that too, I check their website now and again but no mention of it (yet).
Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by mandpete
I read that too, I check their website now and again but no mention of it (yet).
I wish Globespan flew from EWR...flying to Liverpool would be OK for me.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

I wish Globespan flew from EWR...flying to Liverpool would be OK for me.

Just checked the prices for next month but they don't warrant the trek up to JFK. Looks like it'll be Continental again, if I can manage to find a spare week in my (kids really) busy summer schedule.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Look how many of us have posted on these boards for assistance for bereavement fares or needed to get home to the UK when someone dear to us is gravely ill and the flight prices for urgent or last-minute travel are horrendous.....
When my dear old dad died at Christmas we contacted a few airlines. Virgin were extreemely helpfull, they gave us 4 open ended tickets (usually costing the earth) for $1700 all included, the pampered us for the whole flight both ways and we did change our return flight less than 24 hours before we were due to travell back at no extra cost.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

I got a fare on United at 4 days notice last year that was cheaper than their advance purchase fare using http://www.airgorilla.com - worth a look for short notice, but I think has to be 3 days at least before travel.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 4:15 am
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

I looked at Virgin Atlantic's website and got a price of $851 (this is in Jan '08 and one-way, mind you) and when I looked at Orbitz and Expedia, they have the exact same flight for $350-ish. I suppose they'll add taxes, etc, but still, what's the other catch? I think it must be a typo.

EDIT: Oops, it's $309.

Last edited by katesbackagain; Jun 29th 2007 at 4:19 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.