Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where can I watch UK TV abroad?

Where can I watch UK TV abroad?

Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where can I watch UK TV abroad?

Originally Posted by Brit In TN
$32 to add FSC is a bit rough. Obviously it differs provider to provider, mine costs an addtl $6 a month, which also includes other sports channels (that I'll probably never watch.)
Yep. My ex-provider bundles a LOT of stuff together, so it's not possible to just add a sports package. I could go with satellite, but I have a nice computer set up playing through the 50" plasma. All's good
Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BBFLBoy
. For the cost of a VPN, you may as well get an entry level freeview recording package with the firm I mentioned.
Really? Looks like 300 quid down and then another 30 per month. My VPN costs $55 per year. I have a $300 PC running Windows Media Center and the TunerfreeMCE add-on. With that I have full access to all the BBC channels live, ITV live and all of the BBC iPlayer and ITV on-demand programmes. I also get Channel 4, 5, E4 and More 4 on-demand. Being 8 hours behind the UK, having access to the on-demand programming is important to me.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

usoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud of

I also checked out UKTV. They gave me a 24 hr free demo which I watched on my computer screen..it was great...but as it was live all the main tv shows were on at different times due to the 5-6 hr time difference.

I would rather record and watch at easier times for me...don't get chance to watch regular tv much and don't really like US tv anyway. VPN sounds good. I will check into it.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:24 am
Just Joined

BBFLBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

USORUK - I'm the same. Can't stand US TV either, especially ABC on Monday nights. Who wants to watch several hours of the same comedies, one after another!?

Back to the subject in hand, the UKTV2C demo is just the basic package demo I believe. They do offer a recording package to control a freeview or freesat box. They also do Sky packages as well I think.

I guess it's down to what you want I suppose but it appeals to me coz I can channel hop, set up recordings and use it like I had my TV and set top box in my lounge. Some people prefer using the online players which is fair enough.

Thanks for all the input though guys and girls, it's been very educational.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

Hi there,

I live in Toronto and my friend in Dubai who uses it suggested this VPN. Its brilliant. I can access bbc iplayer, channel 4, Itv network. Its only £5.00 per month but you hae to use paypal.

http://www.my-expat-network.co.uk/

When its connected on my computer, I can watch sky sports as my cousin who is sunscriber in the UK very kindly gave me her password on my computer so I can access the sky channel, thats one way of getting round it

Last edited by Maria_747; Aug 18th 2011 at 4:50 am.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

For a VPN provider, I would recommend Strongvpn. Been with them for well over a year now. Solid connection, good communication regarding any downtime for maintenance (only twice in a year for 30 minutes each time), a choice of UK locations (in case one of the data centers has issues) and only $55 per year ($4.58 per month). Lastly, for me, I like not having to install any 3rd party software.

http://strongvpn.com/packages_special.shtml
Old Aug 18th 2011, 8:15 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

USORUK - I'm the same. Can't stand US TV either, especially ABC on Monday nights. Who wants to watch several hours of the same comedies, one after another!?

Back to the subject in hand, the UKTV2C demo is just the basic package demo I believe. They do offer a recording package to control a freeview or freesat box. They also do Sky packages as well I think.

I guess it's down to what you want I suppose but it appeals to me coz I can channel hop, set up recordings and use it like I had my TV and set top box in my lounge. Some people prefer using the online players which is fair enough.

Thanks for all the input though guys and girls, it's been very educational.
Do you work for UKTV2C? Maybe not, I'm probably just overly suspicious!
Old Aug 18th 2011, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Gary Hipperson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all!

There is So much choice here, it hard to know whats the best and whats not without subscribing to some sort of service!

Also i am a mac user, Does anyone know if these things work fine on a mac?
Old Aug 18th 2011, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gary Hipperson
Hey all!

There is So much choice here, it hard to know whats the best and whats not without subscribing to some sort of service!

Also i am a mac user, Does anyone know if these things work fine on a mac?

I am a Mac user and use a standard VPN to connect and collect uk tv. Works fine.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:01 am
Just Joined

I'm a Mac user and to be honest it doesn't make much difference whether you decide to go for a VPN or go for a service using SlingPlayer which has a Mac version. Choice is yours.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

raasay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brat1
What UK tv is it you want to watch?? I can watch all ITV channels, BBC and Channel 4 with my VPN??
Do you have to watch it on your computer, or can you feed it into your TV? Sorry, I'm not at all techy!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

I have a Mac Mini and I simply use it as a media player so I have installed Slingplayer and watch my feed from UKTV2C direct into my tv using the HDMI output. It suits me.

You could do the same or buy a SlingCatcher box which is a more like using a regular satellite receiver I guess as these have a remote control. Or you could just use a laptop o PC and plug it direct into your TV.

Any way works to be honest. Watching TV over the internet on a traditional TV in this sense isn't hard. Whether you're using Mac or Pc doesn't seem to matter.

VPN stuff works the same too I think so you can plug your PC or Mac in a TV and watch BBC iPlayer this way
Old Aug 19th 2011, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raasay
Do you have to watch it on your computer, or can you feed it into your TV? Sorry, I'm not at all techy!
i have a hdmi div connector to my mac that feeds through to the old box. Works for me
Old Mar 28th 2012, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Chriswf88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all, I am a newbie and about to land in the US

I'm trying to find a way to watch UK television whilst living in the States. I have found many nasty looking websites with poor picture quality which seem to be illegal to me so I want to avoid using any websites at all to be frank. I am wondering if there are any dedicated services via satellite or the internet that anyone can recommend that offer a good picture quality?

I have heard about Sling boxes but don't know how you set these up and seeing I don't have a base in the UK to do this, it's not really an option. Any advice?
When I moved to Spain I set up a Sling Box in my mothers house in the UK. It worked fine for a while, and as she was new to set top boxes I was able to give her a hand with recording programs for herself as well. However when she visited us for Christmas we had the problem of the box freezing up. So we had to ring her very friendly neighbours with an odd request, 'could you please go to the house and turn off the power for 10 seconds?' When they asked why, it was too complex to explain, but the reset worked and we restored our TV experience. We gave up in the end as when they turned the analogue signal off and we were sharing the set top box it meant we could not watch TV at the same time as Mum at home, unless we wanted to watch the same programs, which we did not. Also, one had to be sure to program the box in advance of a program being broadcast. The BBC iPlayer means all programs are recorded and held for a minimum of 7 days by the BBC themselves, so you have a full week to catch them, and with series catch up service this is now often extended to a month or more. To watch the BBC iPlayer you just need a VPN, of which many are available. Some are free with advertising, others have no advertising and are available for a very small fee.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I'd hijack this thread instead of starting my own.

I understand all of the VPN stuff/slingbox/streaming etc but is is possible to get this stuff on a TV instead of watching through my laptop? I hate watching stuff on a little screen when I've got a big TV right behind it. For some stuff I download it, put it on a pendrive and put that in my Xbox but I'm hoping theres a way to get other stuff on the TV. Stuff like lower league football that they don't show on Fox Soccer. Any suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.