British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Where can I get ski insurance for the USA as an expat (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/where-can-i-get-ski-insurance-usa-expat-700383/)

TQA Jan 13th 2011 12:47 am

Where can I get ski insurance for the USA as an expat

I am currently sailing around in the Caribbean and will be flying into the USA from Antigua and staying in the Rockies for 3 weeks with a plan to ski for about 10 of those days.

Basic medical is the key thing. I am not much bothered by luggage/cancellation/etc.

I am 63 so Worldnomads will not touch me.

I am expat for tax purposes as far as the UK is concerned.

Can anyone recommend an insurer who will cover me at reasonable cost. I have had a couple of silly price quotes in the thousands.

Michelmas Jan 13th 2011 2:00 am

Re: Where can I get ski insurance for the USA as an expat

Originally Posted by TQA (Post 9097326)
I am currently sailing around in the Caribbean and will be flying into the USA from Antigua and staying in the Rockies for 3 weeks with a plan to ski for about 10 of those days.

Basic medical is the key thing. I am not much bothered by luggage/cancellation/etc.

I am 63 so Worldnomads will not touch me.

I am expat for tax purposes as far as the UK is concerned.

Can anyone recommend an insurer who will cover me at reasonable cost. I have had a couple of silly price quotes in the thousands.

That's because you're 63 and skiing.;)

chuckles67 Jan 13th 2011 4:30 am

You are wise to get medical insurance! Medical and liability costs are very expensive so make sure you are insured.

Start by researching for travel insurance from wherever you are resident. You may have to pay several hundred dollars. However ten days skiing at Vail in Colorado will cost around 650 dollars in ski lift tickets alone... so insurance could be the cheapest part of your trip :)

Duncan Roberts Jan 13th 2011 12:07 pm

To be honest, that price range doesn't seem too bad considering your age and the dangerous sport add on. It's not really that much different to a monthly premium for insurance for people who live here.

ian-mstm Jan 13th 2011 1:11 pm

Can anyone recommend an insurer who will cover me at reasonable cost.

Can you define your interpretation of "reasonable cost"?

I have had a couple of silly price quotes in the thousands.
You're 63, a ski enthusiast, and (apparently) you have sufficient funds to support your lifestyle... why were the quotes "silly"? Was it because they were more than your preconceived idea of how much it should cost?

Ian

E3only Jan 13th 2011 10:44 pm

Regardless of the age, Skiing is a high risk sport. That's pretty much the first thing they told us when you got a couple of lessons!

AddyLaddy Jan 13th 2011 11:07 pm

When we were living out in the USA 8 years back I was worried that my medical insurance wouldn't cover skiing (later I found out it did). But I was also worried about personal liability, especially after watching my wife plough into a group of kids having a lesson!

I rang around lots of US insurers but nobody even sold ski insurance. So then I rang the UK, but nobody would sell me a policy as I was not resident in the UK at the time of purchase.

We just had to ski slowly in the end!

TQA Jan 13th 2011 11:51 pm

Wow, lots of replies.

About the 'reasonable cost' If I was flying from the UK I could get insurance for the three weeks for £63.

Worldnomads would cover me for hangliding in the Rockies and heliskiing in the back country without a guide for £150! But I have to be under 60.

All I want is some basic holiday insurance for some piste skiing, flying into the States from Antigua at age 63.

Best quote so far is £890.

meauxna Jan 14th 2011 1:05 am

Originally Posted by TQA (Post 9100101)
Wow, lots of replies.

About the 'reasonable cost' If I was flying from the UK I could get insurance for the three weeks for £63.

Worldnomads would cover me for hangliding in the Rockies and heliskiing in the back country without a guide for £150! But I have to be under 60.

All I want is some basic holiday insurance for some piste skiing, flying into the States from Antigua at age 63.

But, you aren't under 60, so that's not a valid comparison.

And, there must be financial reasons you are an expat from the UK; perhaps this is just the associated cost of that? AKA a trade off.

AdobePinon Jan 14th 2011 2:19 am

Interesting. As a very frequent skier, I would find insurance premiums in the 'thousands' to be extremely insulting. But, for either a newbie or an older infrequent skier, that cost might be better justified. I wonder if there's anyway you can factor skiing history into the cost of insurance. Probably not, as it would be so hard to prove.

Philgr Jan 14th 2011 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 9100294)
As a very frequent skier, ....

So was Sonny Bono.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 15th 2011 1:29 am

Originally Posted by TQA (Post 9100101)
Wow, lots of replies.

Can you get whatever cover you currently have for Medical Costs extended?

AdobePinon Jan 15th 2011 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Philgr (Post 9102165)
So was Sonny Bono.

But did he have insurance?

TQA Jan 16th 2011 11:51 pm

Looks like AMEX is coming through for me. They will insure me to ski in the USA for 3 weeks for about £150.

Age for the USA is up to 69 and for Europe it is 79.

Just got to check that they are OK with me flying out of Antigua.

AdobePinon Jan 17th 2011 2:17 am

Originally Posted by TQA (Post 9106737)
Looks like AMEX is coming through for me. They will insure me to ski in the USA for 3 weeks for about £150.

:thumbup: Just make sure you read the fine print.