Reload this Page >

Where can I get ski insurance for the USA as an expat

Where can I get ski insurance for the USA as an expat

Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:47 am
TQA
Just Joined

TQA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where can I get ski insurance for the USA as an expat

I am currently sailing around in the Caribbean and will be flying into the USA from Antigua and staying in the Rockies for 3 weeks with a plan to ski for about 10 of those days.

Basic medical is the key thing. I am not much bothered by luggage/cancellation/etc.

I am 63 so Worldnomads will not touch me.

I am expat for tax purposes as far as the UK is concerned.

Can anyone recommend an insurer who will cover me at reasonable cost. I have had a couple of silly price quotes in the thousands.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:00 am
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where can I get ski insurance for the USA as an expat

Originally Posted by TQA
I am currently sailing around in the Caribbean and will be flying into the USA from Antigua and staying in the Rockies for 3 weeks with a plan to ski for about 10 of those days.

Basic medical is the key thing. I am not much bothered by luggage/cancellation/etc.

I am 63 so Worldnomads will not touch me.

I am expat for tax purposes as far as the UK is concerned.

Can anyone recommend an insurer who will cover me at reasonable cost. I have had a couple of silly price quotes in the thousands.
That's because you're 63 and skiing.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

chuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud of

You are wise to get medical insurance! Medical and liability costs are very expensive so make sure you are insured.

Start by researching for travel insurance from wherever you are resident. You may have to pay several hundred dollars. However ten days skiing at Vail in Colorado will cost around 650 dollars in ski lift tickets alone... so insurance could be the cheapest part of your trip
Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TQA

To be honest, that price range doesn't seem too bad considering your age and the dangerous sport add on. It's not really that much different to a monthly premium for insurance for people who live here.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TQA
Can anyone recommend an insurer who will cover me at reasonable cost.
Can you define your interpretation of "reasonable cost"?

I have had a couple of silly price quotes in the thousands.
You're 63, a ski enthusiast, and (apparently) you have sufficient funds to support your lifestyle... why were the quotes "silly"? Was it because they were more than your preconceived idea of how much it should cost?

Ian
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of the age, Skiing is a high risk sport. That's pretty much the first thing they told us when you got a couple of lessons!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

When we were living out in the USA 8 years back I was worried that my medical insurance wouldn't cover skiing (later I found out it did). But I was also worried about personal liability, especially after watching my wife plough into a group of kids having a lesson!

I rang around lots of US insurers but nobody even sold ski insurance. So then I rang the UK, but nobody would sell me a policy as I was not resident in the UK at the time of purchase.

We just had to ski slowly in the end!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:51 pm
TQA
Just Joined

Wow, lots of replies.

About the 'reasonable cost' If I was flying from the UK I could get insurance for the three weeks for £63.

Worldnomads would cover me for hangliding in the Rockies and heliskiing in the back country without a guide for £150! But I have to be under 60.

All I want is some basic holiday insurance for some piste skiing, flying into the States from Antigua at age 63.

Best quote so far is £890.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:05 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TQA
Wow, lots of replies.

About the 'reasonable cost' If I was flying from the UK I could get insurance for the three weeks for £63.

Worldnomads would cover me for hangliding in the Rockies and heliskiing in the back country without a guide for £150! But I have to be under 60.

All I want is some basic holiday insurance for some piste skiing, flying into the States from Antigua at age 63.

But, you aren't under 60, so that's not a valid comparison.

And, there must be financial reasons you are an expat from the UK; perhaps this is just the associated cost of that? AKA a trade off.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 2:19 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. As a very frequent skier, I would find insurance premiums in the 'thousands' to be extremely insulting. But, for either a newbie or an older infrequent skier, that cost might be better justified. I wonder if there's anyway you can factor skiing history into the cost of insurance. Probably not, as it would be so hard to prove.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
As a very frequent skier, ....
So was Sonny Bono.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 1:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TQA
Wow, lots of replies.

Can you get whatever cover you currently have for Medical Costs extended?
Old Jan 15th 2011, 4:05 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philgr
So was Sonny Bono.
But did he have insurance?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:51 pm
TQA
Just Joined

Looks like AMEX is coming through for me. They will insure me to ski in the USA for 3 weeks for about £150.

Age for the USA is up to 69 and for Europe it is 79.

Just got to check that they are OK with me flying out of Antigua.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:17 am
Powder Maggot

Originally Posted by TQA
Looks like AMEX is coming through for me. They will insure me to ski in the USA for 3 weeks for about £150.
Just make sure you read the fine print.