Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to buy a rotary airer (washing line) in the US?

Where to buy a rotary airer (washing line) in the US?

Old Apr 30th 2005, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

plumeria will become famous soon enough
Default Where to buy a rotary airer (washing line) in the US?

I live in California where in summer the sun always shines, so we'd like to air our clothes outdoors plus save a bit of money.

I searched on the internet for a place to buy a rotary airer (name given to it by Argos), which for those who don't know, is a rotating washing line that looks like a big beach umbrella with lines on it. However I only found places in the UK and not here in the U.S.

Any ideas where I can get one here?

thanks

Peter
Old Apr 30th 2005, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to buy a rotary airer (washing line) in the US?

Originally Posted by plumeria
I live in California where in summer the sun always shines, so we'd like to air our clothes outdoors plus save a bit of money.

I searched on the internet for a place to buy a rotary airer (name given to it by Argos), which for those who don't know, is a rotating washing line that looks like a big beach umbrella with lines on it. However I only found places in the UK and not here in the U.S.

thanks

Peter

good question, I too live in California and no one hangs out their washing! When I asked what the purpose of having a tumble dryer was in a place that is generally warm and sunny (although not this year!) all the time, they looked at me like I was mad. I was even told that smog was the reason and that hanging out your clothes makes them dirty again!!!!!! The main reason was though, "who has time to hang out washing"
I have looked briefly in places such as Walmart and Target but have never seen one, I peg things on the clothes horse and put that outside.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 6:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

thanks

Peter

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1340336

Check your HOA rules and regulations -- you don't want them lynching you or burning you out of the neighbourhood!
Old Apr 30th 2005, 6:57 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1340336

Check your HOA rules and regulations -- you don't want them lynching you or burning you out of the neighbourhood!

That should help save money $44.99
Old Apr 30th 2005, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Home Depot and Lowes sell them and I actually bought my one from WalMart nine years ago. Unfortunately when I rented my house out, the renters did away with it. But now I have a retractable one which is a lot better.

Also note the point about the HOA rules and regs as when I had my 'twirly' up I got a letter because the top bit, could be seen over the fence, so it had to be cut off at the bottom by six inches, which made me have to limbo every time I hung washing out.

I've had no letters about my long line though, but I have it positioned so when washing is hanging on it, it's below the fence line. Oh yes, the retractable one I got from Ace Hardware as the one's in HD and Lowes were only 20 ft long and I needed 40ft. $15.99

Duh... just looked at the link and someone else said about Ace Hardware... oops...
Old Apr 30th 2005, 7:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen them in Renys, Walmart, Ace, ECS...weren't cheap though...
Old Apr 30th 2005, 8:28 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I got one in Lowe's for $5 in their reduced pile.Not up yet as hubby says he would have to put concrete in the ground to make it stay up.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

thanks

Peter
I got a friend to bring me one with him from home when he came to visit, he said he had never felt to embarassed in his life. Next time he said he will just bring the crisps and chocolate.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 9:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Federal laws says you can ... it overules the HOA but you must bring in the lines after use ...energy conservation is the name of the game ......
Old Apr 30th 2005, 9:22 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Bought one from Home Depot last summer for $37

The wife refused to use it as she had paid $550 for a great big dryer ....

Looked good with my Wigan Rugby replica shirt spinning around the yard ..
Old Apr 30th 2005, 9:25 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrandonBrit
Also note the point about the HOA rules and regs as when I had my 'twirly' up I got a letter because the top bit, could be seen over the fence, so it had to be cut off at the bottom by six inches, which made me have to limbo every time I hung washing out.)
This reminds me of the time when we were in Mississippi :scared:

We were looking to rent a house; a friendly realtor showed us some properties and offered to help us rent furniture and appliances. On being offered both a washer AND a dryer we declined the latter.

SHOCK HORROR

"This isn't THAT kind of neighborhood!!!"

WTF???
Old Apr 30th 2005, 9:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira

SHOCK HORROR

"This isn't THAT kind of neighborhood!!!"

WTF???
do get the impression that washing lines are only reserved for trailer trash environments, which is a bit rude...saves loads on not having to have AC blasting to counter the heat those dryers throw off...
Old Apr 30th 2005, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck in finding them in any of the lowes, Walmart etc because I could never find one there, although the first year I was here I noticed them in Lowes but they don't carry them any more.

I actually bought the one that is mentioned in a previous post but it is very flimsy and after least than a year, it collapse. I have now bought one from this internet site and this one is much more substantial. More expensive, actually twice the price but worth the difference.

http://www.everythinghome.com/oucldr...+clothes+dryer

As other posters have pointed out check your HOA rules if you have one and the builders deeds, as they usually specify where you can put a line or not.

Must admit love putting my washing outside, they just smell so good
Old Apr 30th 2005, 10:48 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
do get the impression that washing lines are only reserved for trailer trash environments, which is a bit rude...saves loads on not having to have AC blasting to counter the heat those dryers throw off...
Not always. The lady next door to us hangs out her washing on the line and we're in a reasonably respectable neighbourhood (or at least I thought we were .
Old May 1st 2005, 2:03 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

thanks

Peter
I put up a closeline in the back yard the summer we got over here - never occured to me to wonder what the neighbors might think (still doesn't ). My wife, who's the USC, wanted one 'cos she likes the smell of clothes dried in fresh air. The fact that it saves on the electricity is a bonus.

Since it's a double line, the neighbors don't have to look at our smalls since we put those on the hidden line, and there's just trees between us and the house behind us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.