Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where best in the US to immigrate..

Where best in the US to immigrate..

Old Nov 10th 2009, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

waterboy will become famous soon enough
Default Where best in the US to immigrate..

Hello everyone. First post to the site. I work for a UK based business with a US parent company. I have an opportunity to move to the States to work for the parent company- I am married, three young children. The company has offices in California, Florida and others, or I may set up a new office.
Having only been to the US on holiday, I would welcome some help on where (or where not) to consider, how to minimise the move shock with the kids etc. Thanks....
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where best in the US to immigrate..

Originally Posted by waterboy
Hello everyone. First post to the site. I work for a UK based business with a US parent company. I have an opportunity to move to the States to work for the parent company- I am married, three young children. The company has offices in California, Florida and others, or I may set up a new office.
Having only been to the US on holiday, I would welcome some help on where (or where not) to consider, how to minimise the move shock with the kids etc. Thanks....
Hi, and welcome

If you've got a lot of choice about specific location, then it's going to be down to personal preference. Have a look at this and see where that gets you!

Regarding the kids - how old are they? My son was 10 when we moved and we found it useful to talk lots about the move and as early on in the process as possible.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Waterboy is needed in Mississippi... surely?

I'm sure your company won't let you open an office just anywhere?

It really depends on what you're looking for. You want two distinct seasons? Count out most, if not all, of Florida. You want low taxes? I believe you can count out California.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rebs
Hi, and welcome

If you've got a lot of choice about specific location, then it's going to be down to personal preference. Have a look at this and see where that gets you!

Regarding the kids - how old are they? My son was 10 when we moved and we found it useful to talk lots about the move and as early on in the process as possible.
Hi. Kids are 9, 8 and 3 (all girls). Main office is near LA.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Waterboy is needed in Mississippi... surely?

I'm sure your company won't let you open an office just anywhere?

It really depends on what you're looking for. You want two distinct seasons? Count out most, if not all, of Florida. You want low taxes? I believe you can count out California.
Hi, thanks. Yep, your right, not going to be an open cheque book re a new office. Head office is near LA, so likely to start there - but, lots of hoops to jump through of course and family to consider (ones we leave over here etc).
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

We need a little more info on what is important to you in order to advise. If the children are all young it may not matter too much, but how long will you be staying?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, that looks like a great quiz - not got a lot of time at the moment, but will check it out as soon as.

Not sure yet if the best way wil be for me to come out for a period of time, get established etc. Painful being away from the family that way.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

It's almost impossible for anyone to tell you the best State to move too. You need to make a list of priorities and do lots of research, there are some good stats on 'Citydata.com' lots of older threads on people asking the same things you are, check out the search option up top.

Not trying to be unfriendly here, but the US is a big place, most States are big places too, you could probably find great areas to live in most of them (if not all) your personal preferences will be what makes a certain place great for you...Good luck
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

city-data.com is your friend on this one
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Hi.
Three girls, 3, 8 and 9. Honestly, at the moment its real early days, but I would say that we are coming to stay! Just posted a reply saying it may be best for me to come over for a period to settle in without the family (painful as I would miss them). Head office close to LA - I would probably start there, rent of course first. Then if all goes to plan, sell the family home over here. From what I hear the general standard of living is overall better in the US than the UK? I'm not a great fan of city living - we live in a small market town at the moment. Appreciate the interest....
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Englishtart
It's almost impossible for anyone to tell you the best State to move too. You need to make a list of priorities and do lots of research, there are some good stats on 'Citydata.com' lots of older threads on people asking the same things you are, check out the search option up top.

Not trying to be unfriendly here, but the US is a big place, most States are big places too, you could probably find great areas to live in most of them (if not all) your personal preferences will be what makes a certain place great for you...Good luck
Thanks, not unfriendly, just practical. Yep, I guess that is one of the problems - it is such a big place, where do you start? x
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.
Three girls, 3, 8 and 9. Honestly, at the moment its real early days, but I would say that we are coming to stay! Just posted a reply saying it may be best for me to come over for a period to settle in without the family (painful as I would miss them). Head office close to LA - I would probably start there, rent of course first. Then if all goes to plan, sell the family home over here. From what I hear the general standard of living is overall better in the US than the UK? I'm not a great fan of city living - we live in a small market town at the moment. Appreciate the interest....
Whereabouts is the head office?

California is ****ed financially at the moment which could affect your standard of living, depending on how good a deal you get from your company.
Just Joined

Thanks, not unfriendly, just practical. Yep, I guess that is one of the problems - it is such a big place, where do you start? x
PS. thanks for the info..
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lisa67
city-data.com is your friend on this one
Thanks.x
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Whereabouts is the head office?

California is ****ed financially at the moment which could affect your standard of living, depending on how good a deal you get from your company.
Yes, I had heard that there were problems - is that mostly due to the budget deficit? or, a more general decline

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.