Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When you moved here, did you notice right away that poverty is more apparent here?

When you moved here, did you notice right away that poverty is more apparent here?

Old Dec 5th 2014, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When you moved here, did you notice right away that poverty is more apparent here

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The percentages vary here by the local groups who do studies as well, there is never a consistent number presented.

One thing is for sure though in BC and likely most of Canada, if your disabled and on disability or on general assistance, you are living in poverty as the amounts provided are poor.

610 a month for a single person of which 375 is for housing.

906 a month for a single person on disability.

This is only for BC which has some of the higher rates in Canada.
Doesn't Canada base the disability benefits on the person's work history. In the US, someone on SSI (Supplemental Security Income) gets the minimum social security benefit of $721 per month for a single person and $1,082 for a couple plus possible state benefits. However SSI is means tested. If a person has work credits to qualify for SSDI, then the benefits are at least the minimum social security benefit up to about $2,600 per month depending on SS contributions. SSDI is not means tested.

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI): available only to disabled people who've already worked for a certain number of years.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI): available to disabled or elderly people whose incomes and assets are very low.

Social Security Disability Benefits | Nolo.com

What Are Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Disability Benefits? | Disability Secrets
Old Dec 5th 2014, 6:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When you moved here, did you notice right away that poverty is more apparent here

Originally Posted by Michael
Doesn't Canada base the disability benefits on the person's work history. In the US, someone on SSI (Supplemental Security Income) gets the minimum social security benefit of $721 per month for a single person and $1,082 for a couple plus possible state benefits. However SSI is means tested. If a person has work credits to qualify for SSDI, then the benefits are at least the minimum social security benefit up to about $2,600 per month depending on SS contributions. SSDI is not means tested.

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI): available only to disabled people who've already worked for a certain number of years.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI): available to disabled or elderly people whose incomes and assets are very low.

Social Security Disability Benefits | Nolo.com

What Are Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Disability Benefits? | Disability Secrets
I think Canada Pension disability bases it on work history, but many disabled are not on CPP which is a federal program and are on provincial disability and it varies province to province.

In BC its based on need and being declared a persons with disability by the ministry of social development and social innovation.

Max single per month is 906, couples if both are on PWD get around 1,500.

It assets and income based so if you go above those limits allowed, you lose benefits or have them reduced.

As a couple we get 18,000 a year exempt, anything above that is deducted dollar for dollar from our payments.

We also have an asset cap of 10,000 which means we can't save for old age.

its a patch work system.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 1:28 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WriterChick
Yes, that is the same thing that is happening here, and it is across industries. From cashiers all the way... There is an attempt to ban them here. Thankfully. My friend in nursing was told she was not having her holiday time off approved, and the week she asked to go away, they didn't call her at all for work. 'No, your holiday isn't approved, because we may need you' and then they never even called her in!

That is just so wrong.
She should consider working for someone else.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
She should consider working for someone else.
People do seem to take a lot of holidays here.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I do NOT!!!!!! work in marketing.

I'm assuming based on the attempted personal attacks that you have somehow been 'offended', although I cannot imagine why... Nor am I concerned as to why you are attacking me or 'offended'.
Gentle teasing...but there you go with caps and exclamations again...
(In case you are not aware, which you don't seem to be, and is surprising since you are a 'writer'. It is considered very rude to use CAPS and excessive punctuation !!!! as this equates to hysterical shouting at people.)

Personal attacks? You should stick around, or maybe not...

Last edited by Hotscot; Dec 5th 2014 at 5:40 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

WriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond repute

Do you not think that if she could find another job she'd take it?

I don't think anyone can actually be as thick as you are coming off, and still have the ability to spell, so I'm going to have to assume you are just bored and lonely, and acting up online.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Do you not think that if she could find another job she'd take it?

I don't think anyone can actually be as thick as you are coming off, and still have the ability to spell, so I'm going to have to assume you are just bored and lonely, and acting up online.
Yup, you got me. Thick, bored, lonely.
Life's a mess. How do I survive

Don't you understand internet etiquette related to the use of caps and excessive punctuation?

I just thought you'd know. My apologies if you didn't.

But let me be clear CAPS!!! = Hysterical shouting. If you need emphasis there's the italic and bold functions.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 6:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Life's a mess. How do I survive? ....
Dreaming of retirement in Blighty?
.... If you need emphasis there's the italic and bold functions.
I only know one BE'er who uses italics.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Dreaming of retirement in Blighty?
I only know one BE'er who uses italics.
But it's there if needed

Oh, and underline...in fact like any traditional, regular, writing application.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you understand internet etiquette related to the use of caps and excessive punctuation?

But let me be clear CAPS!!! = Hysterical shouting. If you need emphasis there's the italic and bold functions.
And that's a FACT.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

FACT!!!
Old Dec 5th 2014, 10:37 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I assumed WriterChick was aiming that at me but was incapable of using the quote button.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I assumed WriterChick was aiming that at me but was incapable of using the quote button.
I thought it was indiscriminate, unhappy with-the-world, scattershot. And if you were unlucky enough to be in the crossfire....
Old Dec 6th 2014, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is this the Thick, Bored and Lonely Club?
Old Dec 6th 2014, 12:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Is this the Thick, Bored and Lonely Club? ....
Is that all of the above, or does any one category qualify for membership?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.