British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   When to transfer my savings to my wifes U.S bank (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/when-transfer-my-savings-my-wifes-u-s-bank-729259/)

Wolfy Aug 19th 2011 7:07 pm

When to transfer my savings to my wifes U.S bank

Ok, I have seen this before, but can not find it, must be my eyes may be painted on this week, but is it best to transfer my savings which is thousands now or when I get there?

Taking very little in cash on departure...

thanks in advance

Moonshadow_Girl Aug 19th 2011 7:20 pm

Re: When to transfer my savings to my wifes U.S bank

When my DH was getting ready to come over, we attempted to have Barclay's wire his money (in the thousands) into my CU account about a month before he was supposed to come (leaving some for incidentals). We had planned on doing that early in case something went wrong with the transfer. Good thing we did because for whatever reason, the wired money never did make it over. We ended up getting a Cashier's check for the lot in U.S. dollars and carrying it with us on the plane (and we ended up losing over $700 because of the rate change within the 3 weeks time :frown: ).

meauxna Aug 19th 2011 7:21 pm

We did it while still in the UK because it was going to be a complete and total hassle with the UK bank if we tried to do it from the US. In fact, they insisted we set up the transfer in person in the UK.

lansbury Aug 19th 2011 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Wolfy (Post 9569794)
is it best to transfer my savings which is thousands now or when I get there?

depends how much you trust your wife :thumbsup:

Wolfy Aug 19th 2011 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9570089)
depends how much you trust your wife :thumbsup:

lol:thumbup:

srefre Aug 20th 2011 11:33 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9569830)
We did it while still in the UK because it was going to be a complete and total hassle with the UK bank if we tried to do it from the US. In fact, they insisted we set up the transfer in person in the UK.

A few years ago, I lost out in a similar way, my US employer had awarded me some stock. As my employer was US based and NASDAQ traded, the stock was traded in US dollars. When I decided to sell the stock, the bank messed up transferring the money into my sterling account and I didn't get the favourable exchange rate I should have. However once I wrote and complained about this, as a 'gesture of goodwill' they gave me the difference between what I ended up with and what I should have had if they had not made the mistake.

Probably too late for you now, but worth keeping in mind that if they do make a mistake such as this, if you complain, they could well put you right.

This was NatWest BTW, in case that helps.