Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When to transfer my savings to my wifes U.S bank

When to transfer my savings to my wifes U.S bank

Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute
Default When to transfer my savings to my wifes U.S bank

Ok, I have seen this before, but can not find it, must be my eyes may be painted on this week, but is it best to transfer my savings which is thousands now or when I get there?

Taking very little in cash on departure...

thanks in advance
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to transfer my savings to my wifes U.S bank

When my DH was getting ready to come over, we attempted to have Barclay's wire his money (in the thousands) into my CU account about a month before he was supposed to come (leaving some for incidentals). We had planned on doing that early in case something went wrong with the transfer. Good thing we did because for whatever reason, the wired money never did make it over. We ended up getting a Cashier's check for the lot in U.S. dollars and carrying it with us on the plane (and we ended up losing over $700 because of the rate change within the 3 weeks time ).
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

We did it while still in the UK because it was going to be a complete and total hassle with the UK bank if we tried to do it from the US. In fact, they insisted we set up the transfer in person in the UK.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:13 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wolfy
is it best to transfer my savings which is thousands now or when I get there?
depends how much you trust your wife
Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
depends how much you trust your wife
lol
Old Aug 20th 2011, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by meauxna
We did it while still in the UK because it was going to be a complete and total hassle with the UK bank if we tried to do it from the US. In fact, they insisted we set up the transfer in person in the UK.
A few years ago, I lost out in a similar way, my US employer had awarded me some stock. As my employer was US based and NASDAQ traded, the stock was traded in US dollars. When I decided to sell the stock, the bank messed up transferring the money into my sterling account and I didn't get the favourable exchange rate I should have. However once I wrote and complained about this, as a 'gesture of goodwill' they gave me the difference between what I ended up with and what I should have had if they had not made the mistake.

Probably too late for you now, but worth keeping in mind that if they do make a mistake such as this, if you complain, they could well put you right.

This was NatWest BTW, in case that helps.