Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When does Children's education in the US start?

Wikiposts

When does Children's education in the US start?

Old Apr 25th 2009, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When does Children's education in the US start?

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Than maybe the parent should decide... Just because little 5 year old johnny Smith down the road is not mature enough does mean my daughter or other kids are not.
Most parents haven't got a clue of what children learn in their first year of school.....or how much kids are pushed. By the first report card things are usually very evident on how the year is going to go. The decision should be a joint one between parent and educator. Though if your know your child is extremely immature - and some parents are in denial about this - then of course its the parents decision.

Last edited by AmerLisa; Apr 25th 2009 at 9:10 am.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

From the Dept of State website

Another UK/US difference (this has not changed as far as I know) a learner driver in the UK cannot go onto the highway (motor way) however in MI learner drivers are required to drive on the Highway.
I have had a driver's license since I was 16, with no problems. I have driven on freeways since I was 16, again no problems. I went over to the UK - passed my British driver's license (on first go - 3 minors) and drove over there for 5 years.....and became a speed demon. lol I came back to the states and got my first and only speeding ticket not too long after we arrived.

But I've never been keen on my children driving at that age - although all 4 of my sister's children started at 16 and are very good drivers - and most everyone I know have had their children driving at that age with no problems. But I was very happy to move over to the UK when we did and my oldest daughter didn't get her license at 16. She wasn't a happy camper.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

aceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the rough

On the flip side it scares the shit out of me that my daughter will be able to get behind the wheel of a car and be out on public roads at 14.5 years
I don't find that at all scary, because the age at which the states say she is permitted to drive is irrelevant other than setting a minimum which you must abide my. But when she is actually allowed to drive is then when YOU say she can. You are in charge.

I felt that my oldest son was ready at 18, so that is when I allowed him to take his test. My youngest son is 17 next month. He is not ready yet. I told both from an early age that they would be allowed to drive when I thought they were ready, and that I would be happy to spend as much time with them as they wanted to get them ready. And that I would totally ignore any complaints about what their friends were allowed to do. To my sons' credit, neither has ever complained nor even mentioned what their friends were allowed to do.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by aceastwood
I don't find that at all scary, because the age at which the states say she is permitted to drive is irrelevant other than setting a minimum which you must abide my. But when she is actually allowed to drive is then when YOU say she can. You are in charge.

I felt that my oldest son was ready at 18, so that is when I allowed him to take his test. My youngest son is 17 next month. He is not ready yet. I told both from an early age that they would be allowed to drive when I thought they were ready, and that I would be happy to spend as much time with them as they wanted to get them ready. And that I would totally ignore any complaints about what their friends were allowed to do. To my sons' credit, neither has ever complained nor even mentioned what their friends were allowed to do.
Good for you! Sounds like a sensible plan.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

But when she is actually allowed to drive is then when YOU say she can. You are in charge.
No, really, wow, thanks for telling me
Old Apr 26th 2009, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

What is scary is that ANY 14.8 year old can drive without any real limits on where or when (I.e on the highway). Most kids learn to drive with their parents and in drivers ED, the car that I took lessons in did not have dual breaks like 'learner driver' cars in the UK and I am pretty sure there are few family cars have them. So I find it very scary that I am sharing the road with possible 'I know best' 14 year olds.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What is scary is that ANY 14.8 year old can drive without any real limits on where or when (I.e on the highway). Most kids learn to drive with their parents and in drivers ED, the car that I took lessons in did not have dual breaks like 'learner driver' cars in the UK and I am pretty sure there are few family cars have them. So I find it very scary that I am sharing the road with possible 'I know best' 14 year olds.
You write as if a 14 year old (almost 15) can get into the car and drive by themselves. However, according to Michigan law they must have written parental permission, plus have to drive with a parent or licensed driver over 21. And it would seem there are different levels till they get their full driving license at age 17. However, in saying all that - I think a child at that age is too young to be behind the wheel of a car on a major road. Regardless of a parent sitting close by.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

nooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
My son had completed reception and year one in London, so in effect he had already completed the equivalent of first grade.

He was 6 years old when we arrived last summer, his age put him in first grade. We decided just to let him start in first grade rather than put him in second as we wanted him in with kids the same age.

He's not been bored and has had to learn a lot of new things (money, measuring in inches and so on)
Oh I'm glad you said that. We are about to move in 4 weeks time and my daughter who is 5 has completed 2 and half terms of reception. we are planning to put her into kindergarten rather than push for 1st grade. we thought there would be enough to contended with- new people, new country etc without putting her "ahead" of her age peers. I hope she won't be bored.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Huh?
Originally Posted by AmerLisa
You write as if a 14 year old (almost 15) can get into the car and drive by themselves.
I think maybe you didn't read the post through as most of the post I talked about kids driving with their parents/driver ed and cars having dual breaks which if you/they were driving by themselves they would not need

Without dual breaks they are the ones in control of the vehicle.

However, according to Michigan law they must have written parental permission, plus have to drive with a parent or licensed driver over 21
I work with the public almost everyday, I see more than my fair share of parents being ordered around by thier kids, snapped at and generally being treated like crap. If that is how they want to live that has nothing to do with me except when they are in a car chugging along at 70 miles per hour, not listening to their parents/co driver because they think they know best.

Last edited by Ash UK/US; Apr 28th 2009 at 3:57 am.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 4:22 am
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nooj
Oh I'm glad you said that. We are about to move in 4 weeks time and my daughter who is 5 has completed 2 and half terms of reception. we are planning to put her into kindergarten rather than push for 1st grade. we thought there would be enough to contended with- new people, new country etc without putting her "ahead" of her age peers. I hope she won't be bored.
As long as she has a decent teacher, I'm sure she'll be just fine. In Kindergarten there will be kids who can read chapter books already, and kids who barely know the alphabet. A good teacher will know how to make class work for all the kids, as there really is a spectrum of abilities at this age. Although kids start school a bit later here, most children have been in some kind of pre-school or pre-kindergarten situation, so hopefully K isn't too much of a shocker for them. My daughter also starts Kindergarten in the fall and is so excited about it.
Naomi.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Huh?

I think maybe you didn't read the post through as most of the post I talked about kids driving with their parents/driver ed and cars having dual breaks which if you/they were driving by themselves they would not need

Without dual breaks they are the ones in control of the vehicle.

I work with the public almost everyday, I see more than my fair share of parents being ordered around by thier kids, snapped at and generally being treated like crap. If that is how they want to live that has nothing to do with me except when they are in a car chugging along at 70 miles per hour, not listening to their parents/co driver because they think they know best.

I would think most adults would have parental control over their children.....especially when they know their insurance, car, homes, etc are at risk should they let junior go crazy in a car. Personally I would not (as I've stated) get in a car with a teenager and feel comfortable. But they do need to learn eventually.....as we all have.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

I would think most adults would have parental control over their children
LOL

Personally I would not (as I've stated) get in a car with a teenager and feel comfortable. But they do need to learn eventually.....as we all have.
Just as I don't feel comfortable sharing the highway with a 14 year old.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

beachblue is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL

It's terrible how kids are let loose behind the wheel of a powerful vehicle at such a young age. No wonder accidents and deaths among teens is the highest of any age group. How many driving school cars do you see in the USA, go to the UK and they are everywhere. Is it just the high schools who are charged with teaching kids to drive ? Hope it isn't the same teacher who doubles up doing sex education and manners.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachblue
It's terrible how kids are let loose behind the wheel of a powerful vehicle at such a young age. No wonder accidents and deaths among teens is the highest of any age group. How many driving school cars do you see in the USA, go to the UK and they are everywhere. Is it just the high schools who are charged with teaching kids to drive ? Hope it isn't the same teacher who doubles up doing sex education and manners.

My Son is doing drivers ed at school at the moment (he is 16, they didn't do it in his CO school last year) He has to do 50 hours driving with a parent or a driver over 21, has to be a mixture of weather and road types.

I am not enjoying the practise too much with him, it's like pulling teeth trying to get him in the bloody drivers seat! (wierd child,lol) He has almost no interest in driving and is absolutely determined not to learn. I told him I am not going to push him into learning, he can just wait till he is ready.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

LOL

It is a joke - everywhere, but it has to start somewhere. I have control over my child, as I'm sure you do and there are thousands that do as well. Its a shame that more don't.

As far as sharing the highway with a 14 year old almost 15.....you'd be surprised with whom you are sharing the road with.....they may be the least of your worries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.