Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When does Children's education in the US start?

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 2:48 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When does Children's education in the US start?

There is also a wiki on getting kids into school in the US. note: remember the shots! Very important here.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/What_d...kids_in_school
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 5:14 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
There is also a wiki on getting kids into school in the US. note: remember the shots! Very important here.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/What_d...kids_in_school
We had real problems with this when we moved over. My daughter had completed reception and 4 months of 1st grade in the UK, she went to an amazing school and the entire class (there were only 8 of them) were reading a minimum of 3 grades above. She could also count to 100 and do basic adding and taking away.

Age wise here she fit into Kindergarten, some schools we went to told us she would could go into 1st grade, others that she would be bored in their 1st grade class, other's told us that the school catered to individual learning and she would be given work appropriate to her abilities in Kindergarten and beyond (very similar to what we had in the UK).

We decided against putting her up a grade as her birthday is already late in the school year, and she is really tiny and quite sensitive, also coming from a small school environment we didn't feel she would 'fit' into a class with some kids 2 years older and over a foot taller.

The school we chose promised individual learning, but what we got was a school that could do the talk but actually had no idea how to deal with a smart kid. They had no idea how to teach her, complained that she had been taught how to read incorrectly and that she didn't know basic spelling as she didn't circle a picture of an 'elevator' when asked what started with an E. She called it a 'lift'. The school kept trying to label her with the 'gifted' tag, and suggesting we took her to the gifted school down the road. One moment they were saying she was extremelly bright the next that she had to relearn how to read and write.

We lasted 4 months before moving her again. She is now at a school where her school work is more tailored to the individual's skills. When asked to write something, they can write 1 page or 8 pages, its up to them. She is challenged and happy.

Lessons we have learn't: The principle is the backbone of the school, if they are passionate that will come across in their teachers and lessons. Kids friendships aren't as tight here as in the UK, if your child starts school in the UK encourage them to be friends with lots of kids rather than having a best friend. Ask to observe a class, look at the work the kids are producing, don't just believe what they tell you.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
That doesn't mean they are emotionally ready to start school - that's just when they start. It also depends on how much they immediately start throwing at them academically. Do they ease them into learning in the UK? Or are they similar here where they throw it at them with both barrels?

Is it in Sweden or Switzerland that they start kids later? I'm not sure, will have to go back and check, but they've done studies on how children fair later on in life in accordance to when they start school.

Edit to add: Its Sweden, their compulsory education starts at 7.
In the UK the first year of school (full days) is called reception class, it is pretty similar to a US pre-school day, it introduces the kids to reading, simple math and learning things like time, colours, days, months etc. Not really 'full on' classes until the following year.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
In the UK the first year of school (full days) is called reception class, it is pretty similar to a US pre-school day, it introduces the kids to reading, simple math and learning things like time, colours, days, months etc. Not really 'full on' classes until the following year.
I knew it was called "reception" but not fully aware of what they learn as we moved when our daughter was 2.5 almost 3.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:21 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

Most kids in our school district start at 5 or 6. My little girl (December birthday) starts Kindergarten in September, and will turn 6 in December. Our cut-off is Aug. 31. Many parents who have kids with summer birthdays hold the kids back for a year so the kid will be 6 when they start.
Naomi.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by naomi
Most kids in our school district start at 5 or 6. My little girl (December birthday) starts Kindergarten in September, and will turn 6 in December. Our cut-off is Aug. 31. Many parents who have kids with summer birthdays hold the kids back for a year so the kid will be 6 when they start.
Naomi.
It's the same here.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
That doesn't mean they are emotionally ready to start school - that's just when they start.
That could be true of any age!
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I know this is kind of way off what the OP is asking, but...my Son is 16 and a sophomore, he is pretty smart academically, but useless as far as 'street smarts' go, (above 4.0 gpa, but failing drivers Ed) anyway, is anyone else getting pissed off with the school's pushing these bloody state wide tests, PLAN, etc? My Son has already done the SAT practise test and numerous other tests this year, but now this week has to sit this PLAN test, he has no idea what it is for, doesn't know if it is mandatory for the full class, or if they are just having the top performers do it.(sometimes, I wonder if they 'use' the higher achievers to push up the school scholastic #'s?)

I am going to call the school tomorrow to find out what it is all about, but has anyone else heard of this test?
The PLAN appeared to be a practice ACT test, it was optional at our school.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The PLAN appeared to be a practice ACT test, it was optional at our school.
Yeah, it was a prep test for the ACT, but not optional at his school, the SAT practise test he did last year in CO was, but apparently not this one.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
That could be true of any age!
A 4 year old is usually more immature then a 6 year old....unless of course there is something wrong.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teira
My husband is confusing me he said they start kindergarden at 4 and grades at 6??? I'm concerned because if I have to work a year before coming over after I graduate(finantual reasons) my daughter might start school in England and I don't want to get her confused... would she be put up a grade if she started school here or would she be at the same level?? Husband has no idea so I don't know how I'm meant too lol.
I think it depends on the child's birthday, where it falls in comparison to the school year...but I can tell you I started Kindergarten in Connecticut at age 4 years 9 months. I was almost always the youngest in my class, all the way through graduating high school at age 17 years 5 months.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 22nd 2009 at 10:52 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Teira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really nice

Alright I think I will wait until we actually move to make the decission because it would depend on the school and her emotional maturity at that time. I don't want to put her with kids that are a year older if it would be a bad move for her.

Oh and in regards to her vaccinations. She's up to date with all her UK ones. I can pay for her to get the hep ones before we leave and get a print off from the doctors would that be sufficiant evidence? I'll also need them for myself since I'm doing a degree in nursing and will probably have to prove that (as well as do my state exam).

Last edited by Teira; Apr 23rd 2009 at 11:50 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Teira
Alright I think I will wait until we actually move to make the decission because it would depend on the school and her emotional maturity at that time. I don't want to put her with kids that are a year older if it would be a bad move for her.

Oh and in regards to her vaccinations. She's up to date with all her UK ones. I can pay for her to get the hep ones before we leave and get a print off from the doctors would that be sufficiant evidence? I'll also need them for myself since I'm doing a degree in nursing and will probably have to prove that (as well as do my state exam).
Check the laws of the state you will be moving to, where I live (Washington) you can personally exempt your child from vaccinations. I'm not saying she should or shouldn't have any or all, it just buys you time to obtain them over here and she doesn't have to be held back from school.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Teira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really nice

just out of interest what ones do they have to have? The only one I'm even slightly concerned about her having is the chicken pox vaccine because it's still being improved upon.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Some might suggest that, err... Ah, forget it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.