Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When does Children's education in the US start?

When does Children's education in the US start?

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When does Children's education in the US start?

Originally Posted by Teira
just out of interest what ones do they have to have? The only one I'm even slightly concerned about her having is the chicken pox vaccine because it's still being improved upon.
we signed a waiver when my kids were small so that they didn't have to have all the vaccinations (Michigan) we had to ask for the waiver form it wasn't offered to us. We also had to prove that they'd had chicken pox, but notes in my anti natal book from the midwife were sufficient.
In both states we have lived in (MI and TX) they require chicken pox vaccine if the child hasn't had the disease. They have also brought in a new reg. in TX that requires middle school students to have a booster chicken pox vaccine in 7th grade (along with other vaccinations but I can't remember what they are!)
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

just out of interest what ones do they have to have? The only one I'm even slightly concerned about her having is the chicken pox vaccine because it's still being improved upon.
Go to www.cdc.gov or aap.com
Old Apr 24th 2009, 5:13 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Depending which state, here they don't HAVE TO have any.
We were selective with the vaccinations and some were delayed. We signed a waiver, it's on the back of the school vaccination record.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:05 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

It varies entirely by state. Some states allow some waivers, others will refuse to allow your children in school if you don't have them full stop. There is a lot of 'psuedo-science' out there about vaccines so talk to your GP and don't believe everything you hear in a pub about jabs.

Google 'school vaccination' and the name of the state you'll live in and usually you'll find the State department of education listing the requirements. You can also call the school and ask to speak to the school nurse who will probably have some info. Once you get a list and if you have time, get them done in the UK where they are cheaper. I think Hep A&B is one that is not standard in the UK but is in some parts of the US given the high immigrant populations from areas that are more prone to hepatitis.

Last edited by penguinsix; Apr 24th 2009 at 12:08 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
A 4 year old is usually more immature then a 6 year old....unless of course there is something wrong.
and a 8 year old more than a 6 year old... where do you draw the line?

Actually I replied to your post about a child being emotionally ready, that is different to being mature.

I believe studies have proven that girls are more advanced/mature than boys so by your argument maybe boys should start school later than girls?

Last edited by Ash UK/US; Apr 24th 2009 at 4:02 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

On the flip side it scares the shit out of me that my daughter will be able to get behind the wheel of a car and be out on public roads at 14.5 years
Old Apr 24th 2009, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
and a 8 year old more than a 6 year old... where do you draw the line?

Actually I replied to your post about a child being emotionally ready, that is different to being mature.
Maturity comes at different ages for different reasons. A 5 year old could be emotionally mature enough to start kindergarten, but not mature enough for first grade, for example.

I believe studies have proven that girls are more advanced/mature than boys so by your argument maybe boys should start school later than girls?

I believe there is a study on this.....I heard our librarian discussing it the other day, but didn't hear the name of the study.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

On the flip side it scares the shit out of me that my daughter will be able to get behind the wheel of a car and be out on public roads at 14.5 years
OMG!! Since when?
Old Apr 25th 2009, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Teira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really nice

14.5 is wayyy too young! I wouldn't let my daughter drive at 14! Maybe start learning at 15...

Thanks for the google info she will only need a hep B but I'm going to get both the hep vacines done anyway before I move to the US as I really don't want her getting them. I'll probably have them done for me as well anyway.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

My son had completed reception and year one in London, so in effect he had already completed the equivalent of first grade.

He was 6 years old when we arrived last summer, his age put him in first grade. We decided just to let him start in first grade rather than put him in second as we wanted him in with kids the same age.

He's not been bored and has had to learn a lot of new things (money, measuring in inches and so on)
Old Apr 25th 2009, 2:53 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

It's that young where you are?
It's 15.5 here, Ds is chomping at the bit, he passed his class at school and the certificate is proudly displayed on his cork board. He thinks I'm making him an appointment and taking him for his provisional in August
Old Apr 25th 2009, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It's 15.5 here, Ds is chomping at the bit, he passed his class at school and the certificate is proudly displayed on his cork board. He thinks I'm making him an appointment and taking him for his provisional in August

But they can't drive by themselves until they're 16, right? And I know there are a lot of things they can't do......but I think 16 is way too young anyway.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maturity comes at different ages for different reasons. A 5 year old could be emotionally mature enough to start kindergarten, but not mature enough for first grade, for example.
Than maybe the parent should decide... Just because little 5 year old johnny Smith down the road is not mature enough does mean my daughter or other kids are not.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

OMG!! Since when?
For as long as I have been here... over 6 years.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
From the Dept of State website
A student must have reached the age of 14 years and 8 months by the first day of Segment 1.
Another UK/US difference (this has not changed as far as I know) a learner driver in the UK cannot go onto the highway (motor way) however in MI learner drivers are required to drive on the Highway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.