Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When do I shout for my SSN

Wikiposts

When do I shout for my SSN

Old Jan 18th 2008, 11:32 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do I shout for my SSN

Originally Posted by augigi
That may be the case if you're married and can piggyback on someone else's credit, but it's just about impossible if you're single and have no SSN.
Not so. As SnowBunny said, YMMV.

I was able to open a bank account for me and my wife before either of us had a SSN. My incredibly helpful local Credit Union used a "placeholder" SSN until I received mine, many weeks later. My company also used a "placeholder" SSN for payroll and medical insurance.

But I'm sure you're right that in many cases, working with institutions and individuals who aren't as helpful or informed as they could be, it's basically impossible to do these things without an SSN.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

AJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really nice

For what it's worth, I had to wait a while for my SSN too. My local office were very helpful, but didn't want to put in a separate application as I'd requested one in the immigration forms. Eventually, after 5 weeks, they agreed to file an application, which then required verification from Homeland Security (who had until then sent me nothing).

Within a week I had an SSN, and my 'Welcome letter' from the Texas Service Center arrive on Friday, indicating that they had received the paperwork from the port of entry on January 9th (I entered on November 24th) - about 4 days after I applied for my SSN. It may just be a coincidence, or maybe the request from the SSA encouraged DHS to find my paperwork.

Good luck - my frequent (every 2 weeks), friendly visits to the local SSA office certainly helped when it was time to apply via them!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000

I was able to open a bank account for me and my wife before either of us had a SSN. My incredibly helpful local Credit Union used a "placeholder" SSN until I received mine, many weeks later. My company also used a "placeholder" SSN for payroll and medical insurance.

But I'm sure you're right that in many cases, working with institutions and individuals who aren't as helpful or informed as they could be, it's basically impossible to do these things without an SSN.
Like I said, "just about" impossible.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 4:09 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jmaster911
I have been in the US since the 29th December 2007 and to date have not received my SSN. At the moment its OK as my company are advancing me my salary and as my wife is American we have been OK for Bank Accounts, etc.

This said I have a very short window available to sign up to my company benefit scheme and if i don't get anything in the next week or so I will be really cutting it close.

I applied for the SSN to be sent to me on my DS-230 and I know its only been three weeks but I have a inherent distrust of anything government based and I was wondering when others would start to walking into the SSN Office and asking for a progress update or even asking them to check I am in the system.
RM 00202.315 Enumeration At Entry
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202315

I would say if you don't receive your SSN card by the 25th, you need to go into an SSA office to see what's going on. If no SSN application is found pending, make sure they let you submit an application. Tell them to read their procedure above if they won't let you and ask for the office manager if they still won't take an application.

Follow the info on the familybasedimmigration Website and you should be OK
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000

Some banks have rigid policies, in which case you flip them the bird. They only need to see ID that verifies who you are, a passport will do, it doesn't have to be a US passport either and if they tell you otherwise, they are lying...the bank can use your passport number as a temporary number or the default SSN that johnny foreigner can use if he doesn't have a number, which I think is 000-00-004 or something like that, anyway, once you get a real number you just let the bank know.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:47 am

When am I legally required to provide my Social Security number?

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/...php?p_faqid=78

The Privacy Act regulates the use of Social Security numbers by government agencies. When a federal, state, or local government agency asks an individual to disclose his or her Social Security number, the Privacy Act requires the agency to inform the person of the following: the statutory or other authority for requesting the information; whether disclosure is mandatory or voluntary; what uses will be made of the information; and the consequences, if any, of failure to provide the information.

If a business or other enterprise asks you for your number, you can refuse to give it. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or service for which your number was requested. For example, utility companies and other services ask for a Social Security number, but do not need it; they can do a credit check or identify the person in their records by alternative means.

Giving your number is voluntary, even when you are asked for the number directly. If requested, you should ask why your number is needed, how your number will be used, what law requires you to give your number and what the consequences are if you refuse. The answers to these questions can help you decide if you want to give your Social Security number. The decision is yours.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of

Well I took the drive down to the SSA this morining and it was a good job I did. They looked me up on the system and had no record of me applying (through my visa) for a SSN.

I have therefore had to reapply and got a letter saying that I should have the SS card within two weeks.

Fingers crossed, cause Geico is giving me serious grief for not having a US Driving licence.

Will keep you up to date ....
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:03 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. We have managed with the bank accounts. My wife already had one so after 1 1/2 hours they realized they could add me to her account without the SSN

My concern is that as of now, my company are just giving me cheques rather than running me through payroll and when I saw the benefit women today she said that because I'm not on payroll I couldn't get onto the system for benefits (I don't qualify for 30 days anyway) but all the same its really annoying.

I think I'm gonna give the SS Office until the back end of next week and if I have nothing by Friday I'll go down there.
My hubby got insurance, etc. without his SSN. Most companies are familiar with the situation and just ask that you call them with it when he receives it.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't the problem that you can't get a local D/L until you have the SSN though? Insurance costs a bundle more with no local license.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by augigi
Isn't the problem that you can't get a local D/L until you have the SSN though? Insurance costs a bundle more with no local license.
Exactly, they gave me 30 days grace with no American licence and have already been on the phone twice asking for an update. I can't believe I can't get a licence without this SSN - anyway I can see some light at the end of the tunnel
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:54 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, they gave me 30 days grace with no American licence and have already been on the phone twice asking for an update. I can't believe I can't get a licence without this SSN - anyway I can see some light at the end of the tunnel
The same thing (no record of application) happened to me, but the folks in the office were very helpful. They should be able to give you the actual number within 48 hours, though you have to wait for the little paper "card".

Btw - regarding insurance - I found that Progressive were very good. You also could have been added to your wife's policy as a guest until you actually got your own or where "officially" added to hers, thereby avoiding any hassle - that's how it worked in Illinois at least.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
The same thing (no record of application) happened to me, but the folks in the office were very helpful. They should be able to give you the actual number within 48 hours, though you have to wait for the little paper "card".

Btw - regarding insurance - I found that Progressive were very good. You also could have been added to your wife's policy as a guest until you actually got your own or where "officially" added to hers, thereby avoiding any hassle - that's how it worked in Illinois at least.
Did you phone the office to get the number or go into the SSA.

I am on my wifes policy and she does have an American licence, however, they are still bugging her for my licence details.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:49 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you phone the office to get the number or go into the SSA.

I am on my wifes policy and she does have an American licence, however, they are still bugging her for my licence details.
My DH still doesn't have is DL (we married 6/13/07)....he's taking the driving portion in a little over a week. He is on my policy and my State Farm agent said he was good for a year from arrival on his Euro license. That particular agent has a lot of experience w/Euro licenses and knows he is in the process.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
My DH still doesn't have is DL (we married 6/13/07
WOW - Whats been the delay, that seems like a long time to wait for a SSN considering its hard to do anything without one.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:14 am

Well I took the drive down to the SSA this morining and it was a good job I did. They looked me up on the system and had no record of me applying (through my visa) for a SSN.

I have therefore had to reapply and got a letter saying that I should have the SS card within two weeks.

Fingers crossed, cause Geico is giving me serious grief for not having a US Driving licence.

Will keep you up to date ....
I would say if you really want to know the number, you can go back to the office tomorow or at least by Wednesday to get the number if you don't feel like waiting for card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.