Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When to buy property in the US.

When to buy property in the US.

Old Apr 25th 2014, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to buy property in the US.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
We bought quickly on H-1b but it can be slightly risky until you get a green card and know you can stay in the country should anything go wrong with your job. Also we rushed into it and probably should have considered our options more. Selling is very expensive here so get it right first time.
I bought before I even arrived in the country (those were the days...) and it actually worked out well. But on subsequent moves in the US I've rented for at least a year before buying. I'm glad I did on both occasions as it allowed me to get a far better idea of where I wanted to live.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 5:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I bought before I even arrived in the country (those were the days...) and it actually worked out well. But on subsequent moves in the US I've rented for at least a year before buying. I'm glad I did on both occasions as it allowed me to get a far better idea of where I wanted to live.
We looked to buy before we actually moved. Glad we didn't because it gave us time to look round and move into a great area. With selling costs being so high in the US it would have been an expensive mistake.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MCDesi
My question is that I will rent for a while but what kind of period of time would you say is optimal to consider buying once relocated there? Also, is it the same 20% deposit requirement to purchase a property there as it is in the UK?
Even after all the practical aspects are sorted - it may well take a year, more or less, to find a home you love.
It did for us - so rented and looked (100 different properties ) till finally we found the "perfect" place. But not everyone is so looney
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

MCDesi is an unknown quantity at this point

So many things to consider - much more than I even knew to ask about. So glad I posted this question and thank you so much everyone for the advice. I think I will just take my time and see how things go once I am there and will take the plunge when I feel like the time is right and circumstances line up.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 11:12 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

The husband & I rented for 18 months before feeling ready to buy a year ago. Even with all that 'looking' time, the decision to buy wasn't easy. And we were very glad we'd given ourselves that much time to get the lay of the land.

Initially we were enthusiastic about the house we rented, which seemed to fulfill all our needs, and which the landlady was eager for us to buy. Now we're extremely happy we didn't jump right into that purchase.

We pay slightly less in monthly terms now that we've bought, but then there are upkeep expenses, so it's not a simple calculation....

The citydata forum has good info on each state. People moving to an area can post questions about buying, renting, what kind of towns are nearby. Start reading up now on possible areas.

Last edited by WEBlue; Apr 28th 2014 at 11:18 am.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by WEBlue
The husband & I rented for 18 months before feeling ready to buy a year ago. Even with all that 'looking' time, the decision to buy wasn't easy. And we were very glad we'd given ourselves that much time to get the lay of the land.

Initially we were enthusiastic about the house we rented, which seemed to fulfill all our needs, and which the landlady was eager for us to buy. Now we're extremely happy we didn't jump right into that purchase.

We pay slightly less in monthly terms now that we've bought, but then there are upkeep expenses, so it's not a simple calculation....

The citydata forum has good info on each state. People moving to an area can post questions about buying, renting, what kind of towns are nearby. Start reading up now on possible areas.
Great - I'll check it out. Thanks
Old Apr 28th 2014, 4:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

In MA, without a greencard? I wouldn't buy a place.

As for how easy to get a mortgage, depends on where in the state. Banks are much more pickier in Boston and the burbs as they can be, but else where, not as much hassle but for a reason.

Even out in the burbs, you could be dropping $10-13K a year on tax, for not very much house, if the school district is very good.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Just a word of warning. If anyone is thinking of buying property as an investment, be aware that it may not be all sweetness and light.

I was indexing a Foreclosure deed this morning (we provide software and services for courthouses to record Real Estate documents). The property, in a mountain resort area that is often purchased by Atlantans for second homes, was bought in 2007 for $615k, was sold in foreclosure this month for $213k!
Old Apr 28th 2014, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Just a word of warning. If anyone is thinking of buying property as an investment, be aware that it may not be all sweetness and light.

I was indexing a Foreclosure deed this morning (we provide software and services for courthouses to record Real Estate documents). The property, in a mountain resort area that is often purchased by Atlantans for second homes, was bought in 2007 for $615k, was sold in foreclosure this month for $213k!
60% drop - early 2007 was the height of the bubble, but that sounds extreme!

FHA mortgage is a bad route to take now. These loans became a substantial part of the market 2008-11, and they started to fail at a high rate. The FHA tightened the rules, increased the mortgage insurance, and the interest rate is about a point higher than other mortgages.

You can put 5% down and get 417,000 on a private mortgage.

The main issue for the OP is that they have no credit history, and therefore will not qualify for good rates.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
In MA, without a greencard? I wouldn't buy a place.

As for how easy to get a mortgage, depends on where in the state. Banks are much more pickier in Boston and the burbs as they can be, but else where, not as much hassle but for a reason.

Even out in the burbs, you could be dropping $10-13K a year on tax, for not very much house, if the school district is very good.
Yes I've seen that and I was shocked to see that kind of tax in the Boston burbs. These are exactly the areas we are looking to live in since we need access to good schools.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bewildering

The main issue for the OP is that they have no credit history, and therefore will not qualify for good rates.
So I will need at least 1 year or more anyway to build this up right?
Old Apr 29th 2014, 1:28 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

My question is that I will rent for a while but what kind of period of time would you say is optimal to consider buying once relocated there? Also, is it the same 20% deposit requirement to purchase a property there as it is in the UK?
There is no 20% deposit requirement to purchase a property in the UK.

Personally, unless you're a millionaire, I wouldn't purchase a home in the US until you had your green card approved.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 1:29 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

So I will need at least 1 year or more anyway to build this up right?
>=24 months negates the requirement to stump up 20% deposit with most lenders i've spoken with.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
There is no 20% deposit requirement to purchase a property in the UK.

Personally, unless you're a millionaire, I wouldn't purchase a home in the US until you had your green card approved.
Thanks - yes that's what I will do.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 1:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dunroving
I vaguely recall someone on here saying it has got much harder to get a mortgage on H1b these days. When I got FHA mortgages on H1b in 1998, 2001 and remortgage in 2003 it couldn't have been easier.
When I looked to secure a mortgage on an L-1A with an annual income of around $175k no bank was interested. I had to wait until I was green carded before they would entertain offering me a mortgage.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Apr 29th 2014 at 1:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.