British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Whats your favourite quote? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/whats-your-favourite-quote-190952/)

mattbutt Nov 14th 2003 3:57 am

Whats your favourite quote?

Was watching the office the other day, David Brent was spouting some rubbish about a quote from Ian Botham and got me thinking about quotes.

So what is your favourtie quote?

Any quotes from TV, films, people even the pissed bloke down the pub.

dgsyd1 Nov 14th 2003 4:39 am

"He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"

Pimpbot Nov 14th 2003 4:41 am

"Go ahead punk, make my day"

"You're a legend in your own mind"

"Mans got to know his limitations"

"Nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot!"

"Listen, punk. To me you're nothin' but dogshit, you understand? And a lot of things can happen to dogshit. It can be scraped up with a shovel off the ground. It can dry up and blow away in the wind. Or it can be stepped on and squashed. So take my advice and be careful where the dog shits ya!"

"Do you know the emergency phone number for San Francisco General? Well, why don't you call them right now and have them send down an ambulance. Tell them there's two sorry-looking assholes here with multiple contusions and various abrasions and broken bones"

"When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"

All from my favourite series of Clint Eastwood, Dirty Harry movies.

dudleydowg Nov 14th 2003 7:34 am

What do you expect to see through a Torquay hotel bedroom window madam?

The hanging gardens of babylon?

A herd of wilderbeast gamboling majestically across the serengetti?:)

Jabba1 Nov 14th 2003 8:03 am

"I promise not to hurt you......but I can't speak for my bullets"

ducatiandy Nov 14th 2003 9:24 am

Re: Whats your favourite quote?

Originally posted by mattbutt
Was watching the office the other day, David Brent was spouting some rubbish about a quote from Ian Botham and got me thinking about quotes.

Again David Brent " Do you think a boy will ever swim faster than a shark"

Alan Partridge" A HA"

dylan&helen Nov 14th 2003 9:59 am

Memorable Quotes from Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eddy: They're armed. Soap: Armed, armed with what? Eddie: Err, bad breath, colourful language, feather duster... what do you think they're gonna be armed with? Guns, you tit!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rory Breaker: If the milk turns out to be sour, I ain't the kinda pussy to drink it.
Nick the Greek: I'll need a sample. Tom: Ahh, no can do I'm afraid. Nick the Greek: What's that? Some place near Katmandu? Meet me halfway mate.
[Nick pulls out a wad of cash.] Eddy: Jesus Christ! You could choke a dozen donkeys on that, and you're haggling over one hundred pound? What do you do when you're not buying stereos, Nick, finance revolutions? Tom: Look it's all completely chicken soup. Nick the Greek: It's what? Tom: It's kosher. As Christmas. Nick the Greek: The Jews don't celebrate Christmas, Tom.
Big Chris: It's been emotional.
Tom: There's no money, there's no weed. It's all been replaced by a pile of corpses.
Rory Breaker: If you hold back anything, I'll kill ya. If you bend the truth or I think your bending the truth, I'll kill ya. If you forget anything I'll kill ya. In fact, you're gonna have to work very hard to stay alive, Nick. Now do you understand everything I've said? Because if you don't, I'll kill ya.
"Hatchet" Harry: I don't want to know who you use, as long as they're not complete muppets.
Soap: A minute ago this was the safest job in the world. Now it's turning into a bad day in Bosnia.
Winston: Charles, get the rifle out. We're being ****ed.
Soap: Also, I think knives are a good idea. Big, ****-off shiny ones. Ones that look like they could skin a crocodile. You see, knives are good, because they don't make a lot of noise. The less noise they make, the more likely we are to use them. Shit 'em right up. Guns for show, knives for a pro.
Barry the Baptist: ****ing northern monkeys! Lenny: I hate these southern fairies!
Soap: OY! Keep your fingers out of my soup!
Gary: Shotguns? What, like guns that fire shot? Barry the Baptist: Oh, you must be the brains of the operation. Yes, guns that fire shot.
Barry the Baptist: If you don't want to be counting the fingers you haven't got, I suggest you get those guns. Quick!
Winston: We grow copious amounts of ganja here, and you're carrying a wasted girl and a bag of fertilizer. You don't look like your average horti-****ing-culturalist.
Hatchet Harry: You must be Tom. J.D.'s son. Tom: Yeah. You must be Harry. Sorry, didn't know your father. Hatchet Harry: Never mind, you'll meet him tonight if you keep that up.
Plank:Ah! They shot me! Dog: Well, shoot em back! John: Jesus, Plank, couldn't you have got smokeless cartridges? I can't see a bloody thi-- Ah! I've been shot! Dog: Look, will everyone stop gettin' shot?
Little Chris: ****in' hell John, do you always walk around with this in your pocket? Big Chris: Hey! You use language like that again son, you'll wish you hadn't!
Big Chris: All right, son: roll them guns up, count the money, and put your seat belt on.

doctor scrumpy Nov 14th 2003 11:06 am

My favourite is

Life's a bitch then you marry one. ( Or for the ladies Life's a bastard etc )

BritishInOhio Nov 14th 2003 11:35 am

Originally posted by ducatiandy
Again David Brent " Do you think a boy will ever swim faster than a shark"

Alan Partridge" A HA"
That is not David Brent, it's Gareth the assitant to the manager!

BritishInOhio Nov 14th 2003 1:18 pm

See my signiture for mine, Father Ted!

Trisha Nov 14th 2003 1:21 pm

We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams.

Willy Wonka says it but it's from an Arthur O'Shaunnesy (I think that's spelt wrong) poem.

and, of course, these lyrics:

I walk these streets, a loaded six string on my back,
I play for keeps, ‘cause I might not make it back.
I been everywhere, still I’m standing tall,
I’ve seen a million faces, and I’ve rocked them all.

courtesy of Bon Jovi, the worst lyricists around.

Trisha

Patrick Nov 14th 2003 1:30 pm

Ride the horse in the direction that it's going.

In the fight between you and the world, back the world.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!

Born Right the First Time

Religions change; beer and wine remain.

You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Exercise daily. Eat wisely. Die anyway

You can’t ride two horses with one ass

Her breasts are like Mickey Mouse’s ears, no matter which way she turns they are still facing you

He is slicker than whale shit through an ice flow

That guy is so cool he pisses ice cubes

If I only had a little humility, I'd be perfect.

I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific

Feel Guilty for no reason, then your Catholic

I was going to change my shirt but changed my mind instead

Patrick Nov 14th 2003 1:34 pm

Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest

If I owned both Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell.

Every time I close the door on reality it comes in through the windows

Behind every successful man is a surprised woman

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.

Q: Why don't the British make computers?
A: They couldn't figure out a way for them to leak oil.

Never judge a book by its movie

It is wrong to discriminate based on skin color, when there are so many other reasons to dislike someone

Line Dancing: Now you know what happens when cousins breed

I've learned that wherever I go, the world's worst drivers have followed me there

mattbutt Nov 14th 2003 1:57 pm

In interviews with UK journalists, he said: "I can understand people not liking war, if that's what they're there to protest. I don't like war."

A great quote from bush off the beeb today

robclews Nov 14th 2003 3:56 pm

In interviews with UK journalists, he said: "I can understand people not liking war, if that's what they're there to protest. I don't like war."

A great quote from bush off the beeb today
On the same note I remember a quote from a soldier just before the first attack of Desert Storm.

'The war can't start yet.........Kate Adie isn't here'

Rob

PrincessofWales Nov 14th 2003 4:28 pm

"Don't worry about the dishes honey, I'll do them. You just put your feet up and relax"

Unable to attribute this one yet!

ScarlettHill Nov 14th 2003 4:47 pm

"If you throw away all the waves, there will be no water for you to touch."

Thich Nhat Hanh

Gandhi, speaking about the subject of Western civilisation: "It would be a good idea."

superpat Nov 14th 2003 5:05 pm

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"

From Ozymandias by Shelley - a great little poem, and a reminder that in a couple of hundred years, no-one will even remember Dubya's name - unless he presses the wrong button when the alarm goes off in the morning...

Pat

dudleydowg Nov 14th 2003 5:39 pm

This time next year we will be millionaires Rodney

Del Boy Trotter

Bonet de douche as they say in Paris

Trisha Nov 14th 2003 7:41 pm

"lies make the baby jesus cry"

the flanders kids on the simpsons

joonmoon Nov 14th 2003 8:00 pm

" We have a right to dream heroic dreams, after all, we are Americans. "

A quote by Ronnie Reagan........what a guy.:)

dudleydowg Nov 14th 2003 9:10 pm

What rescue?

Jessica Lynch

Patrick Nov 15th 2003 3:00 am

My new fav quote from a movie I have just this minute finished watching

"Who do you have to blow to get some pussy round here?"

Incedentaly it was said by female, which makes it even better!

Patrick

dgsyd1 Nov 15th 2003 3:46 am

There's always the classic

"Alright Dave"

Webbie Nov 15th 2003 2:32 pm

Originally posted by dgsyd1
There's always the classic

"Alright Dave"
That's mine as well (after every line from Life Of Brian)
Used to use it at work a few years ago to greet everyone and I even named my cat Dave !

:D

BrigieDarling Nov 15th 2003 2:46 pm

I forget who said it....

Q: How do you want to be remembered 100 years from now?
A: Damn she looks good for her age!

and

"I love you, but your all f'kin mad!" Ozzy

tony_2003 Nov 15th 2003 4:19 pm

Anything by Kevin Keegan...

'Despite his white boots, he has real pace...'

'He can't speak Turkey, but you can tell he's delighted.'

'You can't do better than go away from home and get a draw...'

'The tide is very much in our court now.'

To name a few :D

or

Lady Astor to Winston Churchill "Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

Churchill - "Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it." :D :D

Emm Nov 15th 2003 7:26 pm

" The things you see when you don't got your gun"

Said by a west country farmer after being buzzed by a Jag coming out of the pub.

Emm.

Tooanfrom Nov 16th 2003 7:25 pm

Quotes

Very non PC but what the heck-

"What the bleedin' hell was that?"

The mayor of Hiroshima!

dgsyd1 Nov 16th 2003 8:53 pm

"Believe me Baldrick. Eternity with Satan all all his hellish instruments of torture will be a picnic compared to 5 minutes with me, and this pencil.":) :)

dudleydowg Nov 16th 2003 9:03 pm

Baldric there has never been a more sticky situation since sticky the stick insect go stuck on a sticky bun.

datcha Nov 17th 2003 6:02 am

Have just been reminded of....

"And I'm not homophobic or anything. Come back and look at my CD colection. Queen, George Michael, Pet Shop Boys... They're all bummers." - Gareth

Genius.

Talking of The Office, here's some info on the US version...

http://www.filmjerk.com/nuke/article676.html

Cheers,
David.

dudleydowg Nov 17th 2003 7:38 am

I've just read that article on the US office and if the Americans can come up with that list of characters I'll show my arse in Woolworths:rolleyes:

Latsio Nov 17th 2003 9:28 pm

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I'm very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it's much, much more important than that"

Bill Shankly - Liverpool FC

"The batsmans Holding, the bowlers Willy" or vice versa.

Some cricket bloke

"Yippee-ay-kay-aye Mother F****r" - John McLean (Bruce Willis)

dgsyd1 Nov 18th 2003 2:21 am

"How much more black could it get? And the answer is none more black!"

"These go to eleven"

"I think the problem may have been, that there was a Stonehenge model on stage, that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf."

Tooanfrom Nov 18th 2003 3:24 am

Caring little chap

"You have obviously mistaken me for someone who actually does give a shit"

"Sex and travel,Sunbeam"

BrigieDarling Nov 18th 2003 10:09 pm

Originally posted by dgsyd1
"Believe me Baldrick. Eternity with Satan and all his hellish instruments of torture will be a picnic compared to 5 minutes with me, and this pencil.":) :)
:D ô¿~

nypeach Nov 19th 2003 1:23 am

To the bald men ... "Just 'cause you lost your fuzz don't mean you still ain't a peach"

1skydive Nov 19th 2003 2:15 am

'still shakin boss'

BrigieDarling Nov 20th 2003 1:10 pm

Originally posted by datcha
Have just been reminded of....

"And I'm not homophobic or anything. Come back and look at my CD colection. Queen, George Michael, Pet Shop Boys... They're all bummers." - Gareth

Genius.

Talking of The Office, here's some info on the US version...

http://www.filmjerk.com/nuke/article676.html

Cheers,
David.

:D I just got this one! (takes me a while sometimes) ;)