Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite thing about the US?

What's your favorite thing about the US?

Old Apr 14th 2012, 10:37 am
Banned

MohsinSAG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's your favorite thing about the US?

All the guyz here are my favourite in US.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 10:57 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MohsinSAG
All the guyz here are my favourite in US.
Thank you, and welcome to British Expatz.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 11:07 am
Banned

MohsinSAG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonrob
Thank you, and welcome to British Expatz.
Thank you for the Warm Welcome.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

cjreisen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
He's kind of right though on a lot of it.
Not really, the US debt per capita is relatively low at around $48,000. Compare that to the UK at $143,000 or Luxembourg at $3,700,000. Also, the Netherlands, Monaco, Ireland, Switzerland, Norway, Belgium, and Denmark all have debt per capita at over $100,000 per person. So by saying the US will go bankrupt, you also imply all the previously named countries are twice as likely to go bankrupt.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 8:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjreisen
Not really, the US debt per capita is relatively low at around $48,000. Compare that to the UK at $143,000 or Luxembourg at $3,700,000. Also, the Netherlands, Monaco, Ireland, Switzerland, Norway, Belgium, and Denmark all have debt per capita at over $100,000 per person. So by saying the US will go bankrupt, you also imply all the previously named countries are twice as likely to go bankrupt.
And there by missing the whole point... :/
Old Apr 14th 2012, 8:48 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Your ignorance shows that you have quickly assimilated to the Canadian lifestyle... very good.
And you seem to have assimilated to the US mindset about Canada. Americans seem to like saying how superior they are to Europe etc. and the basis of that argument is their superior culture supposedly, but Canada is on the same continent so you are largely comparing apples with apples in that scenario. Canada is far from perfect but it's in better shape than the US generally speaking.

Oh yeah, the lack of access to decent news coverage in the US is another thing that gets on my nerves, the only way of getting any proper TV news seems to be to DVR BBC news when it comes on at 5am in the morning.

http://opinion.financialpost.com/201...s-is-bankrupt/

But I suppose ignorance is bliss, so perhaps that is the best thing about living in the US.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 9:00 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

There's more to it than national debt per capita, read that FP article I linked to. One of the main points is that the USD is the main currency used internationally, if that changed (which China is trying to do) then the cost of living in the US would rise quite dramatically.

One of the principle reasons prices are higher in Canada is because of the exchange rate risk, because suppliers want USD, so you have to buy them first - however there is more to it than that, because the Canadian dollar might lose value after you import the goods, so the price has to be padded to take on that risk. This is true in most countries, but not the US.

Basically what it boils down to is that US national debt is whatever the Federal Reserve and Congress says it is, because they have more tools available to them to manipulate it than in other countries, due to the popularity of the US dollar. If it was as popular as say, the Canadian dollar or Sterling, the US economy would go completely off the rails. A lot of the US national debt is hidden by manipulations of the social security trust fund and so on.

The national debt stated in other countries is a truer picture of how indebted that country really is.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 9:07 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
The first bit was wrong 'the whole place is rapidly descending into a lunatic asylum' - the U.S has always been a lunatic asylum.
Do you watch the TV show Fringe? And they travel to an alternate universe? That's sort of my feeling when I cross the 49th parallel.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 11:49 pm
Banned

Imnothavinit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
the friendliness of the people....
Yes, the people are much better here
Old Apr 15th 2012, 12:36 am
TKO
Sweatin' it up in Bama

TKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really nice

I love the fishing and hunting and the ease of access to both.

I adore my F150.

The weather is brilliant. I can have a bbq or get the electric smoker out as often as I want.

I love not hearing Rangers scum abusing Celtic scum in the streets, and vice versa. That being said - happy to see the ever-increasing interest that FOX and ESPN have in the beautiful game.

I love how my 3 bedroom, two garage house cost about the same as what my 2 bedroom flat did back in Perth.

I love the NFL. Funnily enough, I miss the old SKY studio guys.

Tailgating is awesome, be it at a NASCAR race or College Football game.

I adore the Alabama Crimson Tide.

It's good here. You just have to want to enjoy it.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 1:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Imnothavinit
OMG that has to be the funniest post ever.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 3:25 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Imnothavinit
Here? Where is here? Do you mean the US? Which state? Which area of the state? And "much better" than where? Your response would be more believable if you were a bit more specific.

Ian
Old Apr 15th 2012, 4:27 am
Banned

Imnothavinit is an unknown quantity at this point

San Jose, California
Old Apr 15th 2012, 5:28 am
Just Joined

cjreisen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
OMG that has to be the funniest post ever.
Why are you such a downer?
Old Apr 15th 2012, 12:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you such a downer?
If you're going to get upset every time we post something negative about the US you're in for a rough ride. There must be loads of website for Americans to visit where you can all agree that everything about this country is the biggest and bestest in the world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.